An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pray for me...

brendan1104

I will be making a live-in experience in a Franciscan Friary this week. I'll be back around Friday or Saturday... I'll let you know how it went- so pray for me! :)

Well, I'm back pham! :)

I visited a Franciscan (OFM) friary this week (Monday-Thursday). No offense to any other branch- the Capuchins, Conventuals, Friars of the Renewal or Missionaries of the Eternal Word, etc. but these friars are what are known as, and what are 'observant'.

Their habits were well-worn and they went barefoot inside the house and the grounds, although when they go out they wear poor sandals. This particular house (but I won't say which- for now :D:) generally rises very early for the morning parts of the Office, and they keep to their horarium (schedule).

They do have some apostolate- the Sacraments, spiritual direction, teaching, etc. but their life is for the most part contemplative.

I was permitted to follow the life in all aspects- the early rising, penances, etc. and the friars were truly hospitable.

Now for the best part- on the feast of Our Lady's Immaculate Heart/Queenship I became a novice in the Third Order! My new name is Brother Augustine- a great patron and saint, to be sure but it wouldn't have been my first choice. They told me that just as I didn't choose my birth/baptismal name when I began my life, they (my new parents, so to speak) would choose as well. It reminds me of the words from the Carmelite investiture ceremony: "When you were younger, you would gird yourself, and would walk where you willed; but since you will be older, another will gird thee."

So now I'm a happy, eager little (secular/third order) Franciscan as Brother Augustine, in my cord and scapular... ^_^

I'm very sorry that I don't have any pictures to share, but I think my post suffices.

Thanks for the prayers!

- Brendan
(Br. Augustine)

• 4 months later...

I just got an e-mail from a former member of the friary saying that the small community (2 friars last-count) were only 'aspiring' Franciscans and they moved to South Africa last month after a previous October transfer to a trailer in Elmhurst, PA.

Hmm.

WEIRD.

Brenden, How wonderful, I hope you will have a most blessed and fruitful Visit, know that I will be praying for you! :sign:

God Bless You!

Oh, no! You see this thread was started in August. I just updated it to see if anyone knew more about what happened to this community?

Thanks for the prayers though! I need them for my discernment.