An Old School Catholic Message Board

If there were aliens would they be Catholic?

Resurrexi

If there were aliens would they be Catholic?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

If there are sentient extraterrestrials (big if, obviously), I think it is conceivable that they are in some way Catholic.
The Fourth Kind wasn't a documentary. It was a movie made to look like a documentary. Everything in it was faked, so bad place to get info. :P
(Also I thought it was a crummy movie. :lol: )

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

I find that most modern individuals (and especially those who think of themselves as "modern people" or a part of the "progress of history") tend to look down on those who speak of angels and think of them at best as "simple people" or at worst just irrational. However, I find that these same individuals do not have the same opinions of those who speak of aliens and do not balk at the use of aliens in thought experiments.. I find these facts to be rather odd, though not surprising, since talk of aliens does allow for materialists to speak of higher intellectual beings without at all having to give up materialism, so I guess it makes sense.

Invariably, when questions comes up like this one--are there aliens and what religion would they have--I answer that there are without a doubt aliens and humanity has encountered some of them. Angels are not creatures from this planet, occasionally visit and physically interact with people, and so technically fall under title of alien. Also, they worship the One Good, True, and Beautiful God. It is a nice dodge and a way to talk about the things that I think the question is really aiming at: Are there higher life forms than us? If so what would they be like (how much higher can creaturely being go)? How would they relate to us and vice versa? What does that mean for humanity's place in the cosmos that there are higher beings than us?

Edited by Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam

AudreyGrace

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1301161032' post='2223494']
If there are sentient extraterrestrials (big if, obviously), I think it is conceivable that they are in some way Catholic.
The Fourth Kind wasn't a documentary. It was a movie made to look like a documentary. Everything in it was faked, so bad place to get info. :P
(Also I thought it was a crummy movie. :lol: )
[/quote]

Well, that's a stopper lol.
Ipso facto, I still think I have a valid theory :P

dominicansoul

ipso facto: If the extra terrestrial who lives in my dad's woodshed ever shows himself to me, he's getting catechism lessons on the spot!! I won't have an ET living on my property without learning SOMETHING about the FAITH!!!

MeteorShower

Don't aliens worship Eywa?

[img]http://images.wikia.com/jamescameronsavatar/images/e/ea/Woodsprites.jpg[/img]

MeteorShower

In all seriousness though, I voted no. I don't think that aliens would be Catholic. I don't even know if I believe in them. Even if aliens do exist, there's no saying that they would be anything like humans (as someone mentioned earlier).

Although, Clark Kent was apparently a Methodist, so who knows?

Edited by MeteorShower

• 3 weeks later...

"The biggest proof that that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that it hasn't tried to contact us yet."
-I Forgot

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Tally Marx' timestamp='1302803528' post='2228671']
"The biggest proof that that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that it hasn't tried to contact us yet."
-I Forgot
[/quote]
Calvin. ^_^

Laudate_Dominum

Just made me think of this little paper that I saw the other day. lol.

[url="http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1104/1104.0624v1.pdf"]Too Dam*ed Quiet?[/url]

ABSTRACT:

[indent]It is often suggested that extraterrestial life sufficiently advanced to be capable of interstellar
travel or communication must be rare, since otherwise we would have seen evidence of it by now.
This in turn is sometimes taken as indirect evidence for the improbability of life evolving at all in
our universe.
A couple of other possibilities seem worth considering. One is that life capable of evidencing
itself on interstellar scales has evolved in many places but that evolutionary selection, acting on
a cosmic scale, tends to extinguish species which conspicuously advertise themselves and their
habitats. The other is that – whatever the true situation – intelligent species might reasonably
worry about the possible dangers of self-advertisement and hence incline towards discretion.
These possibilities are discussed here, and some counter-arguments and complicating factors are
also considered.[/indent]

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1302815173' post='2228743']
What does "irts" mean? I already tried googling it.
[/quote]
I run this *stuff*?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' timestamp='1302815173' post='2228743']
What does "irts" mean? I already tried googling it.
[/quote]

"If Rexi thinks so?" Seriously, I have no idea what it means, but many of the possiblities I thought of were not appropriate for this Web site.

I think if there were aliens (meaning beings from other planets/universes etc.) some would at least pretend to be Catholic, whether they truly share Catholic beliefs or not. I think the aliens would try to "blend in," so some would be Catholics, while others pretended to take on the beliefs of other religions. It's as good a theory as any other, and I spent almost 30 seconds coming up with it.

I have never given this issue a moment's thought before I saw this thread, and won't think about it afterwards. It's sort of like spending time wondering what the effect would be on people, art, life, etc. if people had naturally green skin. I'm busy thinking about what to eat for dinner.

• 3 weeks later...
Don John of Austria

This is a topic I hae had many discussions about. It seems that there would be some fundemental questions.

1. Do they have a soul? If no then stop.

2. Are they immortal? If yes then stop.

If they have a soul and are mortal then they must be victims of original sin, go to step 3

3. Are they children of Adam? If yes then Christ sacrifce was for them too and we should bring them the true Faith.
If No the proceed to step 4.

4 Was christ sacrifce for them as well? If not, do they have their own Christ and Church? If not... what do we do?