An Old School Catholic Message Board

Working Out/Keeping Fit

memory-singer

memory-singer

Hi Phriends,

I was wondering if any of you who have relatives/phriends/personal experience could share some info. (I don't suppose the PCPAs or Domincans have a workout room. :detective: Do they?)

Keeping in shape physically is pretty important to me. Because my job is totally non-physical, I usually work out on the machines and with weights 4 times a week (Not to bulk up/just to stay strong and active.) I also do yoga and play Xtreme Frisbee.

I'm hoping to be doing some physical work at the monastery. You know gardening, groundswork, cleaning; but I wonder if that will be enough. When I'm at St. Emma's next week, I'll see what other people in community do.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dare

Laudate_Dominum

I think it really depends on the monastery. I've spent time in a number of monasteries and have encountered a variety of things. I remember a benedictine monastery in which a good chunk of the day was spent doing farm work (which can be very physically demanding at times), and I was with a certain Franciscan order for a time who also spent some hours of the day doing some kind of manual labour. But I must say that most of the places I've visited included fairly minimal physical activity. The nice thing is that in virtually any community you tend to have a certain amount of time in each day for private recreation. I have heard of nuns who ride bikes, go hiking, etc. but I suppose you would have to get a feel for that aspect of community life on a per case basis.

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1040968' date='Aug 10 2006, 02:30 PM']
Hi Phriends,

I was wondering if any of you who have relatives/phriends/personal experience could share some info. (I don't suppose the PCPAs or Domincans have a workout room. :detective: Do they?)

Keeping in shape physically is pretty important to me. Because my job is totally non-physical, I usually work out on the machines and with weights 4 times a week (Not to bulk up/just to stay strong and active.) I also do yoga and play Xtreme Frisbee.

I'm hoping to be doing some physical work at the monastery. You know gardening, groundswork, cleaning; but I wonder if that will be enough. When I'm at St. Emma's next week, I'll see what other people in community do.

Thanks,

Dare
[/quote]

Our first committed aspirant to the Cloisterites is a blind chef and personal trainer. She will be picking out the equipment that they will have in their gym.

St. Francis de Sales says "Take care of your health so that it may serve you to serve God." Since there will be sisters/brothers with health issues in the SOLC Foundations, they will have gyms.

Blessings,
Gemma

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Gemma' post='1040982' date='Aug 10 2006, 12:39 PM']
Our first committed aspirant to the Cloisterites is a blind chef and personal trainer. She will be picking out the equipment that they will have in their gym.

St. Francis de Sales says "Take care of your health so that it may serve you to serve God." Since there will be sisters/brothers with health issues in the SOLC Foundations, they will have gyms.

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
that's neat. I suppose people in general these days are pretty conscious of the need for exercise so it would be odd to encounter a community that did not value it at all.

I'd like to see a convent that was all about dance dance revolution. That would be sweet. :hehehe:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Hi Phriends,

Thanks,

Dare
[/quote]

Every community is different. This is something that you'll have to talk to M. Mary Ann about. In our community the sisters are free and encouraged to get some exercise in everyday whether that means walking outdoors or exercising on the treadmill, bike or nordic trak (all cast offs donated to us.) In the spring and fall there is much more garden work although right now the garden is optional and only the sisters who want to garden. That being said the garden has been getting big lately! In the winter there is sledding!
The more important thing is that you'll have to incorporate exercising into your monastic day. While there is free time it's different than "out in the world". While exercise is important it has to be subordinated to living the life itself.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your live in at St. Emma's. They sound like a lovely community! I was "raised" Benedictine so I have a corner in my heart that is still OSB!
God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1040968' date='Aug 10 2006, 01:30 PM']
Hi Phriends,

Thanks,

Dare
[/quote]
Lately there's been much discussion about nuns/sisters and swimming. At least two threads have been on the topic of swimming. And like L_D said, it really "just depends." From my own experience, I know the Martyrs (FSGMs) workout in St. Anthony's Hospital (attached to their motherhouse). B/c they focus on cardiac health in the hospital, they can go and use the weights, treadmills, etc. And the seminarians at my school (Jesuit, Dominican, and Resurrectionists) work out at the University gym.

I think OLAMDad and others would be happy to give their testimony to the communities they're involved in.

[quote name='Gemma' post='1041008' date='Aug 10 2006, 01:57 PM']
Dance revolution? What exactly do you mean by that?

Blessings,
Gemma
[/quote]
It's nice to see that Wikipedia is useful for some things. [b][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Revolution"]Dance Dance Revolution[/url][/b] :banana:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Hi Phriends,

Thanks,

Dare
[/quote]

Every community is different. This is something that you'll have to talk to M. Mary Ann about. In our community the sisters are free and encouraged to get some exercise in everyday whether that means walking outdoors or exercising on the treadmill, bike or nordic trak (all cast offs donated to us.) In the spring and fall there is much more garden work although right now the garden is optional and only the sisters who want to garden. That being said the garden has been getting big lately! In the winter there is sledding!
The more important thing is that you'll have to incorporate exercising into your monastic day. While there is free time it's different than "out in the world". While exercise is important it has to be subordinated to living the life itself.
I'm looking forward to hearing about your live in at St. Emma's. They sound like a lovely community! I was "raised" Benedictine so I have a corner in my heart that is still OSB!
God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine

Hi Phriends,

Thanks,

Dare
[/quote]

God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='shortnun' post='1041072' date='Aug 10 2006, 02:21 PM']
It's nice to see that Wikipedia is useful for some things. [b][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dance_Revolution"]Dance Dance Revolution[/url][/b] :banana:
[/quote]

I thought this part was phat:

[quote]Many news outlets are beginning to report how playing DDR can be good aerobic exercise; some regular players have reported weight loss of 10–50 pounds (5–20 kg). One player reports that including DDR in her day-to-day life resulted in a loss of 95 pounds. It is argued however that the cases of significant weight loss have all been stories where a significantly overweight player loses a few pounds, and then becomes motivated to take action to lose weight, including dieting and regular gym attendance. Although reports of weight loss have not been scientifically measured, a handful of schools use DDR as a physical education activity, and in Norway, DDR has even been registered as an official sport.

DDR's usefulness for weight loss is helped in that many home versions of the game have a function to estimate calories burned if given a player's weight. Also, players can use "workout mode" to make a diary of calories burned playing DDR and any changes in the player's weight. (The latter must be self-reported.)
[/quote]

Don't say a word, but I'm so sick of having a desk job (software engineer) that I'm actually in the process of designing a user input system that will allow me to be quite active as I write code and perform other tasks that I currently perform whilst sitting on my butt.
Currently I'm thinking of experimenting with a combination of a DDR floor pad and bongo drums. If successful I will be the grooviest looking desk jockey in the company. :cool:

DDR in the convent would be pretty sweet!

I just got a new ankle brace for playing sports in the convent because I hear that my Sisters play a mean game of soccer! They also go on Rosary walks, plus I am always told that I will spend so much more time on my feet in the convent than I am accustomed to spending. I'm not too worried about a lack of physical activity. The Martyrs do workout on the equipment in the PT dept at their hospital that some of the more athletically-inclined Sisters use after hours, but I know it's only if they have finished their duties and their prayers first!

memory-singer

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1041073' date='Aug 10 2006, 01:24 PM']
God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine

God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine
[/quote]

Dear Sr. Mary Catherine,

Thank you for your advice.

Somehow I think Mother Mary Anne will help me figure it out. A few months ago she "helped me notice" that no matter how much overtime I worked, I never missed exercise but was only making it to daily Mass erratically. (The gym is at work but getting off campus to a Church required some planning--which I now do. :saint: )

I am so ready to get to St. Emma's. Rest assured I'll "share" all about it.

You know, I'll always have a place in my heart for the Dominicans. I love my parish and the Friars have been so wonderfully supportive.

Pray for me.

dare

This month's OLAM newsletter focuses on precisely this question. They've got a lot of 'action' shots of the nuns playing various sports; basketball, volleyball, and soccer. One the cover page the tall postulant standing about 6 feet in front of the shooter facing her is Sr. Lauren. While I appreciate that with her height she feels the need stay in the paint guarding the post [b]somebody[/b] has to get in the shooters face! Don't worry, I'll be sure and let her know. :) They also have plenty of space to roam at OLAM, even within the cloister, so walking, rollerblading, etc are also an option.

In addition to organized sports and individual exercise activity they all balance labora with ora and their work is not generally the sitting at a desk variety. Sr. Lauren works physically much harder now than she ever did at home as the eldest of 6 children.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1041357' date='Aug 11 2006, 07:16 AM']
This month's OLAM newsletter focuses on precisely this question. They've got a lot of 'action' shots of the nuns playing various sports; basketball, volleyball, and soccer. One the cover page the tall postulant standing about 6 feet in front of the shooter facing her is Sr. Lauren. While I appreciate that with her height she feels the need stay in the paint guarding the post [b]somebody[/b] has to get in the shooters face! Don't worry, I'll be sure and let her know. :) They also have plenty of space to roam at OLAM, even within the cloister, so walking, rollerblading, etc are also an option.

In addition to organized sports and individual exercise activity they all balance labora with ora and their work is not generally the sitting at a desk variety. Sr. Lauren works physically much harder now than she ever did at home as the eldest of 6 children.
[/quote]
Is this online?

memory-singer

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1041357' date='Aug 11 2006, 04:16 AM']

[/quote]

How wonderful.

I'm going to stop worrying about this. By this time next week, I'll have some experience to go on. :) Thank you every one. (And I was going to give away my roller blades :shock: )

Love and prayers,
Dare

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1041360' date='Aug 11 2006, 06:23 AM']
Is this online?
[/quote]
I don't think it's available online, but it is free.

[url="http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/mailinglist.htm"]http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/mailinglist.htm[/url]