An Old School Catholic Message Board

Confirmation garb

HeavenlyCalling

HeavenlyCalling

Okay, I am making my confirmation this year ( excuse me on monent while I party :yahoo: :yahoo: :cheers: :cheers: ) And I was wondering, what is considered the proper attire for this ceromony? For first communtion and marriage you get all dressed up, do you do the same for confirmation, or do you dress more casually? If you can, tell me what you wore.Thanks y'all.

I wore a cufflink shirt, a tie, and dress pants.... I lectored, carried in the chrism oil in the procession.

In the Lord,

Ed

memory-singer

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1040950' date='Aug 10 2006, 11:09 AM']
Okay, I am making my confirmation this year ( excuse me on monent while I party :yahoo: :yahoo: :cheers: :cheers: ) And I was wondering, what is considered the proper attire for this ceromony? For first communtion and marriage you get all dressed up, do you do the same for confirmation, or do you dress more casually? If you can, tell me what you wore.Thanks y'all.
[/quote]

For the WORKs (Baptism/confirmation/communion)my senior year in college, I wore an ivory/ calf-length (sleeveless) dress. After the Baptism, I put on a matching 3/4 length jacket. (Does Dare like clothes or what? :P: )

Congratulations and PARTY ON!!!!!!!!! :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:

Love and Prayers,

Dare

Suit and tie/nice dress- with everything that goes along with both- hair, clean shaven, showered, etc... the best to welcome the Holy Spirit.

You wear formal attire. Suit and tie for men and for women a really nice dress like a prom dress would do the trick. this is the third person of the Holy Trinity you are recieving, that is God. So if you dressed up when you recieved Jesus for your holy communion then dress up for the holy spirit too. White is a common color so is red. though I wore a lovely lilac dress and my best friend wore blue. So color doesnt matter that much. Just be modest and respectful. hope that helps God bless and Mary keep
Karin

I think a prom dress would be a little too showy. I wore a white circle skirt with tulle under it (for a full skirt) and a cuffed white shirt under a blue lacoste sweater. With some patterned flats. I recommend the dressy preppy look since it's classy, clean, and neat.

LilyofSaintMaria

It is traditional to wear something red as red is the liturgucal color for the Holy Spirit. So I wore (it was Fall when I received my Confirmation) a red turtle neck sweater and long navy blue skirt, (not to mention my veil). White is traditional for your First Communion symbolizing purity and innocence. Not sure why white is usually worn at weddings by the Bride? But most certainly you should dress-up, and in my thinking we should always dress-up when going to Church.

When will you be confirmed this year? I will make sure to pray for you on that day!
God bless,
Bernadette

SeekingHisPlan

White is traditional for weddings to symbolize the virginity of the bride.

That symbolism is paid far less attention than it used to be, I think. Many people wear white now because it's just "what you do."

Up until recently, generation-wise, that symbolism was pretty good fodder for gossip, as people would speculate whether such-and-such a birde should really be wearing white. (Yikes....claws out! pick-a-little, talk-a-little!)

Edited by SeekingHisPlan