An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Is Your Soteriological Stance?

photosynthesis

What is your soteriological stance?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

photosynthesis

what's the difference between all these stances? I read an article about this once but i'm not sure what i am.... i think i might be a molinist

Laudate_Dominum

I can't say I'm quite either of these. I'm highly influenced by the Franciscan school, but also by Thomas and DeSales, so there is some Thomism and Molinism in my thought.. I haven't really worked out a complete system yet.. I haven't had to.
Either way I accept all of the dogmas and definitive teachings that pertain to soteriology.

To keep this post organized:

1) Confusedist follow Confusious? What's their* belief on predestination?

2) What's Arminian soteriologically? I thought it was a country. :blink:

3) I believe that salvation is possible for all, and the God calls everyone. That everyone will be provided with at least one chance to choose God.
I'm not sure exactly where that falls. I've never had predestination explained in a way that I've found it agreeable. Too much of it is over-romanticised. (Soul mates seems like an excuse for not working on a relationship. Chosen few seems like an excuse to not share the gospel...)

edit: I wrote there instead of their orginally

Edited by Sarah_JC

[quote name='Sarah_JC' date='Sep 12 2005, 11:44 AM']2) What's Arminian soteriologically? I thought it was a country.  :blink:
[/quote]

ArmEnians are from Armenia the country, ArmInians form a particular rule of soteriological theology. Most evangelical Protestants in the US today are arminians (the rest mostly Calvinists). They tend to believe amyone can be saved at anytime, and that anyone could loose his salvation.

That's about all I can offer on this subject....

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Sarah_JC' date='Sep 12 2005, 10:44 AM']2) What's Arminian soteriologically? I thought it was a country.  :blink:
[right][snapback]720487[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
Named after Jacobus Arminius, a dutchman. Today I suppose there are different flavours of Arminianism, its common among certain denominations (ie, Methodist), and many evangelicals in general.

Pure Arminianism is actually very similar to Molinism, and I consider it to be perhaps the friendliest of protestant soteriological approaches.
The main contender within protestantism, contra Arminius, is good old Calvinist soteriology.

The common summary of Calvinist soteriology is the acronym TULIP:
- Total Depravity
- Unconditional Election
- Limited Atonement
- Irresistible Grace
- Perseverance of the Saints

Perhaps the crux of the corruption in the Calvinist system is the doctrine of double-predestination without which TULIP doesn't make much sense.

For a rather fun and fair explanation of TULIP in comparison with Catholic doctrine go here: [url="http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/tulip.htm"]http://www.cin.org/users/james/files/tulip.htm[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

I voted "other" by the way. I've never been perfectly content with Thomism, although its pretty sweet. And there are aspects of Molinism that I find compelling. I consider myself to hold to a hodge podge soteriology. Perhaps I need an acronym.
You could sum up my view as D.A.I.S.Y.

New rule: a valid soteriological stance must be expressible as a floral acronym.