An Old School Catholic Message Board

habits

HeavenlyCalling

General themes.

Franciscans - Brown or Gray.
Dominicans, Norbetines - White
Augustinians - Black
Benedictines - Black, denim, or polyester. :P: (sorry, PP, I couldn't resist)

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1040390' date='Aug 9 2006, 07:40 PM']
General themes.

Augustinians - Black
[/quote]

Good one OLAM Dad :lol_roll: I actually LOL. :topsy:

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1040390' date='Aug 9 2006, 06:40 PM']
General themes.

Augustinians - Black
[/quote]

He, He, He!
Actually, there is no color specified in the OSB rule for the habit. It's just supposed to be what the poor would wear. So, yes, you can have OSB wearing black, white, or....denim!
Could they wear green, purple, or red????? :P:

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1041075' date='Aug 10 2006, 03:26 PM']
Actually, there is no color specified in the OSB rule for the habit. It's just supposed to be what the poor would wear.
[/quote]
Sister, that's news to me. Thanks for the info., I guess now you've proven that you add value to this forum and you must stick around. :P:

franciscanheart

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1040099' date='Aug 9 2006, 07:51 AM']
I LOVE the nuns dolls, I would buy them all if I had a place to put them. I always thought Franciscan nuns wore the 'peguin' black and white.
[/quote]
Too bad you can't buy those dolls anymore... :ohno:

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1040390' date='Aug 9 2006, 11:40 PM']
General themes.

Augustinians - Black
[/quote]

(It's PP here - VA and I are at my parents' computer and she's the one who logged on last)

OLAM Dad - you are my brother in Christ and I love you.

Ok, I think I can overlook your SLIGHT on my beloved Regula now! Especially as Sr. Mary Catherine is right; as an example, the Ruedesheim Benedictines have a blue "work" habit. Don't think it's [i]denim[/i], though :P

I had heard from a Benny that the habit is "traditionally" black because the cheapest fabric around was the wool of [i]black[/i] sheep.

However, there are, I grant you, some interesting "interpretations" of the chapter of the Regula about the habit in some communities *cough* But you know, prayer is the best method of persuasion for some of us, who would make a right pig's ear of actually trying to [i]say[/i] something.

Right. I'll stop abusing VA's account now.

Love and prayers,

PP

brandelynmarie
:biglol:....Arren't there female hermits up in Idaho that have denim habits? I think the Little Sisters of the Jesus used to wear denim too...I can also think of one Franciscan community that wears it too...I have tried & tried to get our Medical Imaging department to wear denim scrubs, but alas! to no avail... :P: Edited by brandelynmarie

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1041539' date='Aug 11 2006, 01:26 PM']
(It's PP here - VA and I are at my parents' computer and she's the one who logged on last)

Ok, I think I can overlook your SLIGHT on my beloved Regula now! Especially as Sr. Mary Catherine is right; as an example, the Ruedesheim Benedictines have a blue "work" habit. Don't think it's [i]denim[/i], though :P

I had heard from a Benny that the habit is "traditionally" black because the cheapest fabric around was the wool of [i]black[/i] sheep.

However, there are, I grant you, some interesting "interpretations" of the chapter of the Regula about the habit in some communities *cough* But you know, prayer is the best method of persuasion for some of us, who would make a right pig's ear of actually trying to [i]say[/i] something.

Right. I'll stop abusing VA's account now.

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

PP, I was "raised" Benedictine! If anyone SHOULD have become a Benedictine it is I but the Lord had other plans and I became one of the snobby OP's that would come to the Benedictines to visit! :P:
My "parish" was a Benedictine Abbey (my parents still go there), my first job was with Benedictine nuns who ran a bakery to become self supporting, my school was St. Benedict School. One of my favorite saints is St. Gertrude and I made solemn Profession on her feast day!
I even have a 1980 bronze jubilee medal on my side rosary.
However, I love being an OP and I love the Rule of St. Augustine. It's my home. :topsy: