An Old School Catholic Message Board

buying test tube babies

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

When President Bush vetod stem cell research, he made a ceremony of it by gathering "snow flake children" and their parents. These children were formerly in test tubes soon to be discarded, but were bought by concerned parents. Of course the presense of the children were to demonstrate why stem cell research was wrong.

My question that I open to phatmass is why doesn't the CC and other christians pool together monies in order to buy these babies in test tubes before they are discarded?

I don't claim to have answer, but I do have a question, after we bought the test tube babies and helped to furthur finance a cause that we see as wrong, what would we do with them? What would you expect the Church to do with them that these labs wouldn't?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote][b]Donum Vitae[/b]
In consequence of the fact that they have been produced in vitro, those embryos which are not transferred into the body of the mother and are called “spare” are exposed to an absurd fate, with no possibility of their being offered safe means of survival which can be licitly pursued.[/quote]
This was written in the 1980's though, perhaps before the prospect of "embryo adoption" was around.

thessalonian

The problem of frozen embryos is a dilema. To keep them on ice seems cruel. One cannot dispose of them by burying them as they are not dead and of course you cannot kill them. Implanting them seems logical but unfortunately today with current methods that means causing the death of some of them. There is no conscience free way to handle them as I see it.

dairygirl4u2c

although not really natural quote unquote, it'd seem implanting them is not intentially killing them if they die, so it's sort of a natural death. that would make keeping them frozen simply cruel. of course it's a difference in taste that the test tube babies cannot make for themselvs and reasonable catholics even would disagree on.

here is my source btw with some thought provoking implications, not necessarily right, but definitely thought provoking... (meant seriously)

[url="http://www.chortler.com/terrorable.shtml"]http://www.chortler.com/terrorable.shtml[/url]

ps www.chortler.com/gayat27.shtml

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1039802' date='Aug 8 2006, 07:51 PM']
When President Bush vetod stem cell research, he made a ceremony of it by gathering "snow flake children" and their parents. These children were formerly in test tubes soon to be discarded, but were bought by concerned parents. Of course the presense of the children were to demonstrate why stem cell research was wrong.

My question that I open to phatmass is why doesn't the CC and other christians pool together monies in order to buy these babies in test tubes before they are discarded?
[/quote]
Presumably because it would be impossible to find thousands of women willing to be used as surrogate mothers for the embryos.

implanting these embryo's to save them is a good thing to do, and if some of them die then it is certainly double effect because there was no intrinsically evil action-- you were trying to save their life.

dairygirl4u2c

Plus, whatever the case, whether freezing them or implanting them, if you don't do either, they will be discarded. So the question can be if you're not for implantation, then what about buying them for freezing?

it's a good idea. I don't know if the Church in America is currently in the financial situation to be the right candidate for the project... someone should start an organization.

the question is: would these places sell us the frozen embryos in large quantities, and could we get women to volunteer?

thessalonian

It's putting the Church in a bit of a hostage situatin though. People might simply start creating embryos because the Church will give the money for them. The sale of human life? Not good.