An Old School Catholic Message Board

Time to Introduce Myself?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Hello Friends in Christ! I am Sr. Mary Catharine, the novice mistress and vocations directress for the Dominican Nuns in Summit, NJ.

Recently OLAM Dad has been urging me to finally "show my face" on this forum and with the recent posts about Sr. Mariana and people saying I lurk here I thought it would be only polite to say hello and yes, I do come by and see what is happening!

I don't think I will be posting much. Too busy with our novitiate and aspirants which is a nice problem! However, I do want to say hello and most of all to tell ALL OF YOU that I keep you in my prayers, especially during my time of Adoration and Rosary.

Discerning one's vocation is really the GREAT ADVENTURE of our life. It can sometimes seem like we will NEVER figure out where God is leading us. Those of us in religious life have been there...truly! I can vividly remember the times when I would be before Jesus in tears getting angry that He wasn't showing me where He wanted me NOW! Well, to my big surprise it was to the cloistered life and to this wonderful monastery in Summit, NJ. I mean, New Jersey was the LAST PLACE I WOULD EVER LIVE! PERIOD! Ok, all Joiseyites, calm down. The state is growing on me...slowly!

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have or if you would rather PM me that's fine, too. If I don't answer immediately, don't worry; I do answer!

Please pray for me and for my sisters, too! One of the biggest joys of being a Catholic is the communion of Saints! We need each other to grow in holiness and together we will one day be beholding the Face of God and rejoicing in living in the communion of the Triune God.

Is that awesome or what? :D:

Is "awesome" out as slang? <_<

In Jesus, Mary and St. Dominic,
Sr. Mary Catharine, OP

Welcome Sister! I must say Ive never heard of Domincans in NJ. But it is wonderful that you are busy with many new vocations! Praise God. Me and my family yearly visit the Domincans in Nashville. We just got back from a vacation there actually, pictures will come later :) I will certainly be keeping you and your sisters in my prayers!!! Do you have a newsletter or a website?
Ok enough questions, welcome to phatmass and God Bless you and your sisters!!!
Love in christ - uruviel

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='uruviel' post='1038800' date='Aug 6 2006, 07:46 PM']
Welcome Sister! I must say Ive never heard of Domincans in NJ. But it is wonderful that you are busy with many new vocations! Praise God. Me and my family yearly visit the Domincans in Nashville. We just got back from a vacation there actually, pictures will come later :) I will certainly be keeping you and your sisters in my prayers!!! Do you have a newsletter or a website?
Ok enough questions, welcome to phatmass and God Bless you and your sisters!!!
Love in christ - uruviel
[/quote]

Yes, we have a website www.nunsopsummit.org and a blog www.monialesop.blogspot.com
Our monastery is one of 17 in North America. The Nuns are St. Dominic's "first born" and we begin our 800th anniversary celebration this Advent!
We know the Nashville OP Sisters, of course. In fact, it was there that I knew I wanted to be a Dominican and where the first inkling of a contemplative vocation was felt! Much to my surprise! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. :)
Thanks for the prayers! It means so much!
God bless you!
SMC

fearundercontrol

Thanks for the post, Sister!

Oh, and we do still use "awesome". ^_^

Edited by fearundercontrol

[quote name='fearundercontrol' post='1038831' date='Aug 6 2006, 08:48 PM']
Thanks for the post, Sister!

Oh, and we do still use "awesome". ^_^
[/quote]

Welcome, Sr. Mary Catharine!

passionheart

Actually it is nice that you came out from the grille so speak Sister. You can help with any general questions on the vocation of the cloister.

Cheers,

DonnaMarie

Mary-Kathryn

Hi Sister Mary Catharine!

My vocation has been to marriage, motherhood, and as a Secular Carmelite. I enjoy reading the posts here from all these young adults who give themselves so totally to God. Tell the good Sisters I live in the East and am ready for a nice Fall breeze!

Love the name ;)
Mary-Kathryn

ps. an early Happy Feastday of St Dominic!

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

FutureIHMNJ

[quote name='msahara' post='1038836' date='Aug 6 2006, 07:09 PM']
Welcome, Sr. Mary Catharine!
[/quote]

What part of New Jersey??

Im from New Jersey 2~ :)

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Actually, Donna, I was thinking that you were all coming to visit me in the monastery parlour! :D:
Happy feast of our Holy Father, St. Dominic!
[quote name='passionheart' post='1038877' date='Aug 6 2006, 10:52 PM']
Actually it is nice that you came out from the grille so speak Sister. You can help with any general questions on the vocation of the cloister.

Cheers,

DonnaMarie
[/quote]

[quote name='FutureIHMNJ' post='1038952' date='Aug 7 2006, 08:01 AM']
What part of New Jersey??

Im from New Jersey 2~ :)
[/quote]

Summit. It's a "burb" of Newark, off 78 and 24.