An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life

heavenseeker

Do you think there is life on other planets?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

ardillacid

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='29 May 2010 - 11:55 AM' timestamp='1275148524' post='2120200']
Whoa, someone bumped this thread...

So, even if God did not create life on other planets, perhaps we will. But, given that there are probably hundreds of quintillions of habitable zone planets within our Hubble volume (conservative estimate), disbelief in life outside of our planet seems like the result of philosophical or religious bias.
[/quote]
imo your extrapolation is cra[b][/b]p

Edited by notardillacid

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='02 June 2010 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1275500916' post='2122757']
imo your extrapolation is croutons[/quote]
brilliant! :wacko:

ardillacid

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='02 June 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1275502775' post='2122765']
brilliant! :wacko:
[/quote]
What can I say, I learned my debate tactics [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=101164&st=40"]FROM THE BEST[/url]

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='02 June 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1275503801' post='2122766']
What can I say, I learned my debate tactics [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=101164&st=40"]FROM THE BEST[/url]
[/quote]
I disagree with this post.

ardillacid

Normally I just walk away from threads such as this or post something spammy but atm I feel like being a tad serious.

the idea of alien life is kind of croutons.

My ideas about the world are often gigaparsecs away from the common views of our society. To really explain my position on alien life I would first have to adequately elucidate a holistic utopian vision of the multiverse. Doing this would be no small task and would require a great deal of additional background. Even were someone to read all of the books that have influenced me, and endure hours of my rants, they would not necessarily "get it" as my utopian vision is based so much upon my imagination. To top it off I find myself lacking the desire that many people of conviction feel to convince others of their ideas.

Edited by notardillacid

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='notardillacid' date='02 June 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1275506132' post='2122798']
Normally I just walk away from threads such as this or post something spammy but atm I feel like being a tad serious.

My ideas about the world are often gigaparsecs away from the common views of our society. To really explain my position on alien life I would first have to adequately elucidate a holistic utopian vision of the multiverse. Doing this would be no small task and would require a great deal of additional background. Even were someone to read all of the books that have influenced me, and endure hours of my rants, they would not necessarily "get it" as my utopian vision is based so much upon my imagination. To top it off I find myself lacking the desire that many people of conviction feel to convince others of their ideas.
[/quote]
Wow!! :shock: +1000!

That has to be the most epic post I've ever read on this site. I'm in awe right now dude. You're now my favorite phatmasser. :notworthy:

Besides man, I do not think that there is any corporeal life endowed with intellect and free will in the universe. That said, I think it is very likely that there is other non-intelligent life somewhere in the universe.

Edited by Resurrexi

Mark of the Cross

There is strange life around smokers (submarine volcanic vents) which is quite independent of the rest of the biosphere. For us to postulate that this is the only planet with some kind of life is to have ones head stuffed down a smoker. Having said that, who knows the mind of God? We could well be the only place with beings possessing free choice. Although after the resurrection of the[b] body[/b] we will need places to live and since Terra Firma is rather limited in space and unspoilt resources we may require other planets to do our thing. God said he will prepare a place for you.

BTW Notardilacid, I'm president, coach, councillor, treasurer, secretary, soothsayer of the of the L_D awesomeness fan club, so go eat your nuts!

Edited by Mark of the Cross

dominicansoul

...i always thought that the universe was sooo big, because we humans were supposed to populate the entire universe and not just the earth....especially since God created mankind immortal...we were never supposed to die...the earth would've overpopulated pretty quickly had sin not entered into the world...

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='28 April 2010 - 02:08 AM' timestamp='1272434885' post='2101447']
I still imagine him as Beaker. He will always be Beaker to me. Nobody can ever take that away from me... I love you Beaker.
[/quote]
Yes. I do too, sometimes.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='28 April 2010 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1272498179' post='2101877']
[IMG]http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h119/NoonienSoong_2006/captainkirk.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]
Epic win.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='29 May 2010 - 11:55 AM' timestamp='1275148524' post='2120200']
Whoa, someone bumped this thread...

So, even if God did not create life on other planets, perhaps we will. But, given that there are probably hundreds of quintillions of habitable zone planets within our Hubble volume (conservative estimate), disbelief in life outside of our planet seems like the result of philosophical or religious bias.
[/quote]
Lawl. Maybe. What do we define life as? Does it have to be carbon based? Hmm... it just has to be animate and reproduce, right?

[quote name='notardillacid' date='02 June 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1275506132' post='2122798']

[/quote]
Plus one.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='02 June 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1275506362' post='2122800']
Wow!! :shock: +1000!

That has to be the most epic post I've ever read on this site. I'm in awe right now dude. You're now my favorite phatmasser. :notworthy:
[/quote]
Lawl. :notworthy:

I don't actually believe there's life on any other planet in the EN-tire un-freaking-believably large universe.

However, I'm starting to hope there is, and that they don't argue pointlessly there. I'm hoping I can move.

Laudate_Dominum

Don't care. In fact, I don't care about anything in the universe outside of my minuscule sphere of existence.

Television shows--WOOT!, pop culture--WOOT!, politics--WOOT!, sports--WOOT!, food--WOOT!; my life, my clothes, my hair, my job, my phone, my blog, me, me, me...--WOOT!

The inexhaustible mystery and glorious depths of the cosmos?--meh. I'd rather spend my time thinking about my favorite Lost characters and sports teams.

:drool:

Laudate_Dominum

P.S. The above post was an untruth, also known as a lie, justified by the desired consequence of amusement. This post might also be thus described.