An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life

heavenseeker

Do you think there is life on other planets?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

i guess ya could say there's some debate as to when religious ideas etc, got put into the record, soem say 50000 some say 30000 years ago, but it's still millenia per how long we went with no savior.
i suppose you could even say there was something missing even still, until ancient egpyt etc came along? i know the first 'civilization' was thousands and thosuands of years ago, though, still millenia.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='26 April 2010 - 12:25 PM' timestamp='1272302722' post='2100434']
i guess ya could say there's some debate as to when religious ideas etc, got put into the record, soem say 50000 some say 30000 years ago, but it's still millenia per how long we went with no savior.
i suppose you could even say there was something missing even still, until ancient egpyt etc came along? i know the first 'civilization' was thousands and thosuands of years ago, though, still millenia.
[/quote]
The vast amount of years in there leads me to suspect that all speculation on the subject is virtually worthless, which is why I don't do it.

Nihil Obstat

In any case, I suppose natural law existed from the start, so I have plenty of room to refine my speculations.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='26 April 2010 - 01:25 PM' timestamp='1272302722' post='2100434']
[/quote]
I've been thinking of starting at thread in Transmundane that would be related to these questions. In some ways a spin-off of the wheat thread I suppose. Basically I've been pondering the ways in which Christian religion presupposes civilization and technology and the implications of this.

I think there was discussion on this phorum about the possibility of mirror realities or something like that. Apparently it doesn't work. :lol:

[quote name='StThomasMore' date='20 August 2006 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1156127715' post='1046942']
I'm a small-universe geocentrist which means I believe the universe is a lot smaller than "scientists" make it out to be and that I believe the earth is the centre of the universe and that the sun revolves around it. I believe that if there were other life in the universe that they would be located on one of the 4 planets which revolves around the earth, but I don't believe there is becuase the Creation Narrative makes no mention of it but tells of almost every other living thing that exists.
[/quote]

a medievalist from the very beginning :P

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='24 April 2010 - 09:28 PM' timestamp='1272169713' post='2099595']
I wonder if any of the people who posted in this thread years ago have changed any of their opinions...
[/quote]

hopeully....

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 April 2010 - 09:48 PM' timestamp='1272170920' post='2099605']
Yea, objectively speaking, aside from our opposable thumbs and phenomenal minds, we're pretty lame animals. :lol: Pretty weak compared to almost every other animal in the world, pretty slow, pretty high maintenance, our balance is awful.

Yet... here we are. Why? That's how it was designed.

Plus those phenomenal minds.
[/quote]

not really actually. human beings, aside from our tool making and teamwork skills, are still formidable animals. for one, we are one of the larger animals alive these days, and when physically fit are incredibly good endurance runners, and could often run down faster prey when it got exhausted. also fairly powerful limbs, long reach, good vision. and certain people like bruce lee, mike tyson etc, show what a capable killing machine the human body can be.even nowhere near those upper limits, the human body can be formidable if we arent on a couch all day long.

and then there is the whole velociraptor/wolf pack like team work. and general intelligence.

our only big downside there is the weakness we have when first born and developing.

Laudate_Dominum

Something like scales has just fallen from my eyes. I've wondered what became of StThomasMore... :yahoo:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='26 April 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1272306585' post='2100484']
Wait.... Rexi is StThomasMore!??? :shock:
[/quote]
Spock would never be in the dark about such a thing . . . perhaps you are not Spock at all, but are instead the Squire of Gothos . . .

[img]http://www.lovethattune.com/storage/tsog.jpg[/img]

dairygirl4u2c

civilization was thousands and thousands of years ago, the beginning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_civilization

we shouldnt feel that we are speculating on thist stuff. this is science. the georaphy of the area, the stra of the earth, etc, reinforces where the fossils are found. the fossils themsalves, are coorborated with carbon dating, with DNA mapping of hisotry, etc. everything corroborates everything else. it's a fact.

i suppose there's always room to say '*true* humans didnt' come until not long before Jesus', but that's not too cool in my book. all those thousands of years of civiliazation, are mere animals? all those feelings talking emotions, mere animals? id tend not to think of God working in that way, though cant deny that perhaps a magical line came along that distingushed 'true human's' from their animal predecessers. id say we were all human, and God came along eventually.
if ya want to draw a line at 200000, that's more respectable. (though i have reservations abotu that, given all the homo species out there, and homo sapien predessers etc

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Jesus_lol' date='26 April 2010 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1272305882' post='2100481']

not really actually. human beings, aside from our tool making and teamwork skills, are still formidable animals. for one, we are one of the larger animals alive these days, and when physically fit are incredibly good endurance runners, and could often run down faster prey when it got exhausted. also fairly powerful limbs, long reach, good vision. and certain people like bruce lee, mike tyson etc, show what a capable killing machine the human body can be.even nowhere near those upper limits, the human body can be formidable if we arent on a couch all day long.

and then there is the whole velociraptor/wolf pack like team work. and general intelligence.

our only big downside there is the weakness we have when first born and developing.
[/quote]
Well, I dunno..... I mean, I'm thinking about relative sizes. We are big, which is why we seem strong, but imagine a housecat for instance, being as large as a human and proportionally as strong as a cat. It would be making fifty foot jumps or more, no problem... and I don't think that kind of thing is all that unusual for animals. Not jumping specifically, but have extremely developed reflexes and proportional strength.
You may have a point with endurance running, although I don't know enough about any particular animal to comment about their endurance.

dairygirl4u2c

i guess put modern 'civilization' at 6000 BC, as that link above shows, most say it began during this period:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubaid_period

and the ancient eqptians were 3 4 etc thousand years ago, the predessers and co-livers of the Hebrews, who were the predecessers of the Jews. perhaps it was only a few thousand years before the savior came, for the 'true, modern man', at least as far as civilization is concerned.
(still doesn't deal with the humans before that though

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 April 2010 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1272307571' post='2100494']
Well, I dunno..... I mean, I'm thinking about relative sizes. We are big, which is why we seem strong, but imagine a housecat for instance, being as large as a human and proportionally as strong as a cat. It would be making fifty foot jumps or more, no problem... and I don't think that kind of thing is all that unusual for animals. Not jumping specifically, but have extremely developed reflexes and proportional strength.
You may have a point with endurance running, although I don't know enough about any particular animal to comment about their endurance.
[/quote]

yeah but think of the big cats. like jaguars etc. they cant jump 50 feet in the air either. power to weight ratio doesnt really work like that. for instance, elephants cant actually jump but you would never call them weak.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='26 April 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1272307242' post='2100489']
Spock would never be in the dark about such a thing . . . perhaps you are not Spock at all, but are instead the Squire of Gothos . . .

[img]http://www.lovethattune.com/storage/tsog.jpg[/img]
[/quote]
:evil: