An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life

heavenseeker

Do you think there is life on other planets?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

havok579257

[quote name='Era Might' date='20 August 2006 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1156110067' post='1046822']
If there is no life there, why did God create them? What purpose do they serve?
[/quote]

possibly the same reason he created the dino's.

havok579257

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 April 2010 - 12:48 AM' timestamp='1272170920' post='2099605']
Yea, objectively speaking, aside from our opposable thumbs and phenomenal minds, we're pretty lame animals. :lol: Pretty weak compared to almost every other animal in the world, pretty slow, pretty high maintenance, our balance is awful.

Yet... here we are. Why? That's how it was designed.

Plus those phenomenal minds.
[/quote]

whast's funny is as lame animals as we seem, our intelligence trumps all other animal's abilities. so although they have better and more abilities than humans. our intelligence trumps all of it. kind of cool when one thinks about it.

God Conquers

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 April 2010 - 12:12 AM' timestamp='1272168724' post='2099572']
I allow for the possibility that there is life elsewhere. Even intelligent life.
I also have a strange theory in my head that there may be "humans" elsewhere. They may not be homo sapiens, but part of my theory is that they could be "mankind" without being homo sapiens. They would have had to have received some sort of Revelation from God about Jesus Christ, but in my scenario, Christ's sacrifice is as valid for them as for us. :)

Likely? Obviously not. Fun to speculate about though.
[/quote]

I've thought pretty much the exact same thing for a long time.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='God Conquers' date='25 April 2010 - 01:48 PM' timestamp='1272221290' post='2099796']
I've thought pretty much the exact same thing for a long time.
[/quote]
It would be pretty neat to, someday in the future, meet an alien race somewhere out there, and discover that they're all Christians. :P

God Conquers

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 April 2010 - 02:52 PM' timestamp='1272221536' post='2099799']
It would be pretty neat to, someday in the future, meet an alien race somewhere out there, and discover that they're all Christians. :P
[/quote]

YES!

Or to discover an alien race, bring them the Gospel and begin an "Alien Rite" Catholic Church.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='God Conquers' date='25 April 2010 - 01:56 PM' timestamp='1272221819' post='2099804']
YES!

Or to discover an alien race, bring them the Gospel and begin an "Alien Rite" Catholic Church.
[/quote]
Also cool, although it would imply that God had created a race and, for many millennia had given them no Revelation.

Do the Dog people of the Canis Minor constellation count? They seem pretty intelligent, they are all house broke, they have mastered the art of durable yet tasty chew bones.

ed

SoonerCatholic

Interesting topic.

Personally, I don't care if there is life out there. I think it would be cool if there was, but until we can build a starship....

Found this online about redemption and e.t. life.
"In an essay titled "Religion and Rocketry," Lewis wrote on pages 87-88 of the above mentioned book:

It might turn out that the redemption of other species differed from ours by working through ours. There is a hint of something like this in St. Paul (Romans 8:19-23) when he says that the whole creation is waiting and longing to be delivered from some sort of slavery, and that the deliverance will occur only when we, we Christians fully enter upon our
sonship to God and exercise our "glorious liberty."

dairygirl4u2c

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='25 April 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1272222032' post='2099809']
Also cool, although it would imply that God had created a race and, for many millennia had given them no Revelation.
[/quote]

he did create humans, for for almost 200000 years give no revelation. he did, though, give the revelation at a very crucial point in history, the years before a boom in civilization etc to today.

if the aleins were indoctrinated, how would we test whether they're following Jesus? a generalized 'savior' wouldn't be enough to say it's the same person... we'd have to start comparing doctrines, eucharist, 'blood atonement' or not, 'jesus as divine' etc etc. it'd very possibly be telling for us and our disputes, like whether they do do the eucharist as catholics do, etc. it'd be very controversial, to say the least.
beginning to see a whole host of issues i never considered, before, per 'discovering intelligent life'.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='26 April 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1272301692' post='2100405']
he did create humans, for for almost 200000 years give no revelation. he did, though, give the revelation at a very crucial point in history, the years before a boom in civilization etc to today.

[/quote]
How do you know who the first bona fide human was?

dairygirl4u2c

i dont, but that's the consenus, that's the science, even reputable organizations like 'national geographic' put it out there, so i go with it. i assume if they do DNA, chromosomal etc research, things that are concrete, that they can tell us at least roughly when we began as a species. no scientists dispute this, who have any credibility, not even close to the global warming debate either which at least superficially has a plausible sounding dissent among 'people in the know'. this doesn't sound like it's a matter of real debate, so i see no reason not to believe it. around 200,000 years ago. omo I and II, were among the first ones, 'modern humans'. (i sometimes think of them as "Adam and Eve" though not sure of the gender etc, just a fanciful idea i sometimes have
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0216_050216_omo.html

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' date='26 April 2010 - 12:19 PM' timestamp='1272302346' post='2100425']
i dont, but that's the consenus, that's the science, even reputable organizations like 'national geographic' put it out there, so i go with it. i assume if they do DNA, chromosomal etc research, things that are concrete, that they can tell us at least roughly when we began as a species. no scientists dispute this, who have any credibility, not even close to the global warming debate either which at least superficially has a plausible sounding dissent among 'people in the know'. this doesn't sound like it's a matter of real debate, so i see no reason not to believe it. around 200,000 years ago. omo I and II, were among the first ones, 'modern humans'. (i sometimes think of them as "Adam and Eve" though not sure of the gender etc, just a fanciful idea i sometimes have
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/02/0216_050216_omo.html
[/quote]
I don't really care when exactly the species homo sapiens began. I don't think that 'humanity' must be equated with the homo sapiens species, either positively or negatively.