An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life

heavenseeker

Do you think there is life on other planets?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Perhaps, and just stay with me, the rest of the cosmos are used for something else. Something that wouldn't be classified as "life" or "intelligent" or "sentient", but neither would it be classified as "not alive" nor "dumb" nor "non-sentient".... it does not have any degree of those human categories, and is completely dissimilar from us.

many people say it is arrogant to think we are the only intelligent life in the universe. I think it is arrogant to think that the rest of the universe has anything remotely similar to us. I think the rest of space might be used for something so completely different that our language couldn't even adequately describe it. something not made up of cells... maybe even not made up of atoms or quarks as we know them... something that doesn't have "intelligence" in any degree but has something else entirely which cannot even be compared in degree to our concept of "intelligence"

that's something to think about.

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1036704' date='Aug 2 2006, 08:02 PM']
Well I vote yes, and for good reason. I just don't see any point in makeing the universe so BIG if there is only going to be life on one tiny planet.
[/quote]

i say no because of this reason. Yes, i think we are that special to Him.

[quote] And how are your science grades doing????? [/quote]

I'm a straight A student, thank you. When you take a test, you don't answer what you think is the truth or Truth, you answer what will be counted as correct.

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1036704' date='Aug 2 2006, 10:02 PM']
Well I vote yes, and for good reason. I just don't see any point in makeing the universe so BIG if there is only going to be life on one tiny planet.
[/quote]
Perhaps to show off his infinite power :mellow:

Laudate_Dominum

If I actually required a comprehensible answer (which I don't) the most satisfactory answer would probably be, because it is beautiful.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1047434' date='Aug 21 2006, 02:47 PM']
Perhaps, and just stay with me, the rest of the cosmos are used for something else. Something that wouldn't be classified as "life" or "intelligent" or "sentient", but neither would it be classified as "not alive" nor "dumb" nor "non-sentient".... it does not have any degree of those human categories, and is completely dissimilar from us.

many people say it is arrogant to think we are the only intelligent life in the universe. I think it is arrogant to think that the rest of the universe has anything remotely similar to us. I think the rest of space might be used for something so completely different that our language couldn't even adequately describe it. something not made up of cells... maybe even not made up of atoms or quarks as we know them... something that doesn't have "intelligence" in any degree but has something else entirely which cannot even be compared in degree to our concept of "intelligence"

that's something to think about.
[/quote]

you just restated what I have already put forth. That is exactly what I was saying, I guess I didn't explain myself well enough but this is precisely what I meant.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='uruviel' post='1047675' date='Aug 21 2006, 06:05 PM']
you just restated what I have already put forth. That is exactly what I was saying, I guess I didn't explain myself well enough but this is precisely what I meant.
[/quote]
hehe, me too! At least we all agree. :D:

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1047544' date='Aug 21 2006, 05:25 PM']
If I actually required a comprehensible answer (which I don't) the most satisfactory answer would probably be, because it is beautiful.
[/quote]

This is, by far, the most sensible thing I have seen in this thread.
Think of it this way: We always have new territory to discover and/or expand to, should life as we know it last that long.
Thinking of it all the other ways described would be greatly assisted with use of illicit substances which have common names that are unusually present in a different context on these boards. Mary Jane is one person I think has much to say regarding these other deep lines of thought.
I'm sorry. It's just that you get images of what high people say... and it often is very similar to what y'all've said here.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1036704' date='Aug 3 2006, 12:02 AM']
[/quote]While I voted yes as well, isn't it possible that life was created on one planet because God knew that the human race would be around long enough to fill the extra space?

CatholicMonarchist3

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1036704' date='Aug 3 2006, 01:02 AM']
I just don't see any point in makeing the universe so BIG if there is only going to be life on one tiny planet.
[/quote]
To make room for spiffy things like Nebulae? What's the point of the planet Mercury? I mean, it's not like we could mine any gasses or anything on that planet ;-) Same thing with Venus. It's nice to look at, and I'd imagine that's why God created that planet.
I don't think there is any life on other planets. Especially life more advanced than us! Otherwise Jesus would have been a Gray or something. Plus, those aliens would automatically be damned since there would have to be a separate sacrifice for them.

• 3 years later...
Nihil Obstat

I allow for the possibility that there is life elsewhere. Even intelligent life.
I also have a strange theory in my head that there may be "humans" elsewhere. They may not be homo sapiens, but part of my theory is that they could be "mankind" without being homo sapiens. They would have had to have received some sort of Revelation from God about Jesus Christ, but in my scenario, Christ's sacrifice is as valid for them as for us. :)

Likely? Obviously not. Fun to speculate about though.

Vincent Vega

I wonder if any of the people who posted in this thread years ago have changed any of their opinions...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='24 April 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1272169713' post='2099595']
I wonder if any of the people who posted in this thread years ago have changed any of their opinions...
[/quote]
Well I'm pretty sure one of them has. :)

ThePenciledOne

I personally don't care, because it honestly doesn't matter.

If God loves us that much as we know Him too, then I do not think it matters if there is life out there, and if anything it should be a testament to how much God cares.

Put it in perspective...Out of the billions of stars and countless planets that are out there, God chose here for us. And on top of the millions of life forms on this earth, some of which are much better qualified to survive, He made us, in His image. I think that alone stands to reason.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='ThePenciledOne' date='24 April 2010 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1272170801' post='2099603']
I personally don't care, because it honestly doesn't matter.

If God loves us that much as we know Him too, then I do not think it matters if there is life out there, and if anything it should be a testament to how much God cares.

Put it in perspective...Out of the billions of stars and countless planets that are out there, God chose here for us. And on top of the millions of life forms on this earth, some of which are much better qualified to survive, He made us, in His image. I think that alone stands to reason.
[/quote]
Yea, objectively speaking, aside from our opposable thumbs and phenomenal minds, we're pretty lame animals. :lol: Pretty weak compared to almost every other animal in the world, pretty slow, pretty high maintenance, our balance is awful.

Yet... here we are. Why? That's how it was designed.

Plus those phenomenal minds.

Edited by Nihil Obstat