An Old School Catholic Message Board

Life

heavenseeker

Do you think there is life on other planets?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

heavenseeker

Well I vote yes, and for good reason. I just don't see any point in makeing the universe so BIG if there is only going to be life on one tiny planet.

• 3 weeks later...
Laudate_Dominum

I don't consider that to be a valid argument. If human beings were responsible for crafting the cosmos it would be a good point. I imagine that from God's perspective the temporal and spatial differentials that we observe are utterly insignificant. The Bible indicates as much.

Until some concrete phenomenon is observed which conclusively points to the existence of other life forms in our universe I don't believe there is sufficient information to reach a meaningful conclusion.

I don't think there is anything wrong with speculating, but to say that you don't think God would have put intellegent life on only one planet in the whole universe, well, I just don't think we know God's plans. Not to mention, because everything is possible with God, He may not have created intellegent life, he may have created other life, life that may not have the functions of a body, it may not have an intellect, just because we are only aware of intellegent beings being able to give God glory, doesn't mean only 'intellegent' beings are able to give God glory. He may have created something so out of reach for us, something so uncomprehendable, something we can't understand for His glory and out of love, He may have made them with souls just like us so as to be happy with Him in His kingdom, but I mean, we only speculate the most smallest possibilities. I'm sorry, I was just letting my mind wander, very far, and anyhoo, who knows Maybe God did create other HUMANS on other places. Maybe he made places for them that are not planets. Maybe they live on squares in water. Instead of round balls in a galaxy. :lol: You get my point, I'll stop now.

Laudate_Dominum

I certainly don't have a problem with speculating about such things, it's when people act as though it must be so that I have a problem (or that it is totally impossible). I guess I just don't consider it to be all that important.
And I've always assumed that God's creative activity has been infinitely beyond anything I could ever conceptualize or understand. We don't even understand ourselves, or our little world, I don't suppose we could really imagine all that God has done. But this simple fact alone does not compel me to believe that there must be aliens on other planets. The totality of that which exists is an inexhaustible mystery. To me that element of mystery is normal and not particularly troublesome.

If we do not encounter extra-terrestrial life someday I don't know what will satisfy the curiosity. We'd have to explore every corner of the universe before we would be sure that there are no aliens, and even then we would still be speculating about other dimensions or universes.
But then I guess I do believe in extra-terrestrial beings. I consider angelic and demonic spirits to qualify as extra-dimensional beings.

[quote name='2xbob' post='1037160' date='Aug 3 2006, 05:34 PM']
Sure. I dont think its intelegent, maybe a planet for the fuzzy things that God thinks is cute
[/quote]
teletubbies?

God the Father

I think some of you are misusing the term intelligent. Intelligent, as in smart enough to find food? That's just about all life there is. The only life I can think of that isn't intelligent would be plants. Sentient, on the other hand.....

I'm a small-universe geocentrist which means I believe the universe is a lot smaller than "scientists" make it out to be and that I believe the earth is the centre of the universe and that the sun revolves around it. I believe that if there were other life in the universe that they would be located on one of the 4 planets which revolves around the earth, but I don't believe there is becuase the Creation Narrative makes no mention of it but tells of almost every other living thing that exists.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='1046942' date='Aug 20 2006, 08:35 PM']
I believe the earth is the centre of the universe and that the sun revolves around it. I believe that if there were other life in the universe that they would be located on one of the 4 planets which revolves around the earth,
[/quote]

And how are your science grades doing?????

heavenseeker

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1046954' date='Aug 20 2006, 08:48 PM']
[/quote]
i was thinking the same thing

[quote name='God the Father' post='1046879' date='Aug 20 2006, 06:20 PM']
I think some of you are misusing the term intelligent. Intelligent, as in smart enough to find food? That's just about all life there is. The only life I can think of that isn't intelligent would be plants. Sentient, on the other hand.....
[/quote]

no, intelligent as in, has the ability of, reasoning, concluding, has an intellect, can 'think' on it's own, but these are just terms referring to humans. Who knows, maybe God has a whole other concept for things to worship Him and be with Him in heaven, perhaps they aren't 'things', perhaps we can't speak of them because they aren't in our language, they aren't even programed in our minds and thinking process it's something no one can comprehend or wrap their brains around. It's impossible to understand it. Or, he could just have us humans. :idontknow: I don't know and I don't care all that much.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1046954' date='Aug 20 2006, 08:48 PM']
[/quote]

thats not very nice. Just because someone said something you think is totally out of wack doesn't mean you have to critisize them about it.