An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Nuns in France

puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

[url="http://www.chalais.fr/"]The Monastery of Our Lady of Chalais[/url].

You know, for the Europhiles amongst us ;)

Love and prayers,

PP

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Looks beautiful :) Being a nun in Europe would be pretty neat I would think, but that is just because I have only been overseas twice. So much packed into a lot less space...

VeniteAdoremus

PP has a zillion links. If you're interested in European convents, you should ask her - and they speak English in Britain, you know :) (Not that Dutch is hard to learn!)

~ VA, trying to import some Americans into her God-forlorn country :P

puellapaschalis

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1034413' date='Jul 30 2006, 10:37 PM']
PP has a zillion links. If you're interested in European convents, you should ask her - and they speak English in Britain, you know :) (Not that Dutch is hard to learn!)

~ VA, trying to import some Americans into her God-forlorn country :P
[/quote]

Dutch tends to scare people though. I think it's something to do with the g/ch, but really, German cases are tougher! ;)

Love and prayers,

PP

brandelynmarie

PP...you are a God-send! I have been trying to find websites with photos of European nuns for a long time...I've tried googling in different languages to no avail...I especially like their archive photos from years ago...Do you have a website for the PCPA's in France? They are one group I could never find...

VeniteAdoremus

You can find Dutch Poor Clares at [url="http://www.clarissen.nl"]http://www.clarissen.nl[/url] . I'll see if I can find French ones...

puellapaschalis

In the last twenty minutes my French has rapidly improved. I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that the PCPAs in Castelnaudary don't have a website...

PP

ThyHolyLove

I don't know about the Castelnaudary PCPA's having their own site, but the Hanceville PCPA has a little site about them with the contact info.

[url="http://www.olamshrine.com/olam/castel.htm"]French PCPA[/url]

Hope that helps!

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1034426' date='Jul 30 2006, 02:51 PM']
Dutch tends to scare people though. I think it's something to do with the g/ch, but really, German cases are tougher! ;)

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

Ahhh..Dutch! I find it almost impossible to get the hang of it! I have heard Mass dozens of times in Dutch at the Poor Clare Monastery in Eindhoven, but I still can't pronounce the words or follow it! Quite a humbling experience really as I feel like an idiot! I don't know why I cannot seem to learn it; perhaps I am just not concentrating enough!

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Visitandine' post='1035538' date='Aug 1 2006, 06:22 PM']
Ahhh..Dutch! I find it almost impossible to get the hang of it! I have heard Mass dozens of times in Dutch at the Poor Clare Monastery in Eindhoven, but I still can't pronounce the words or follow it! Quite a humbling experience really as I feel like an idiot! I don't know why I cannot seem to learn it; perhaps I am just not concentrating enough!
[/quote]

When I first moved to the Netherlands, the only thing that kept me going through the Mass was my previous experience of Mass in other languages - the knowledge that no matter what language it is, [i]this is the Mass[/i], and that underneath the (very important) words, whose grammar and sentence order can vary hugely, this is the ultimate sacrifice, the lynchpin of our lives.

Now that I've been here for a while and can speak Dutch pretty well, I still often reflect on that. It's pretty powerful.

But you're right - it's not the easiest language in the world to learn for a native English speaker :)

Love and prayers,

PP