An Old School Catholic Message Board

Response to Anglicans

jswranch

What are some beliefs held by orthodox, not held by Catholics?

Some Anglicans have said, "I could be Orthodox, but I cold not be Catholic. I just don't believe all those Catholic Dogmas." I chuckle in response as the Orthodox also have a number of strict beliefs, but what are they?

Edited by jswranch

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Well there is the Nicene Creed thing. Beyond that and the Papacy, I think its just a matter of looking at things differently - which should not cause a problem as the Eastern Rites have preserved their traditions while being in communion with Rome. Hopefully Apotheoun sees this...

Well, it depends on whether you're looking at it from a Catholic or an Orthodox perspective.

From a Catholic perspective, the most obvious problems are Papal infallibility and original sin. Like thedude said, there is flexibility there on our side.

For the Orthodox, however, they may see more problems from their end that we wouldn't. Something like icons, for example. Although we don't have a problem with icons or statues, some Orthodox people see statues as unacceptable.

Edited by Era Might

Some may be. There is a lot of diversity among Orthodox Christians, so it's hard to say anything definite. They have the same "traditionalist" squabbles that we do in the Catholic Church, except there's no Eastern Pope to speak defintively for them.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

I actually found an article after seeing this thread where an Orthodox priest insisted Catholics do not worship the True God. It was riddled with other errors on Catholicism as well. Perhaps it was one of the fringe groups - as Era Might said, they do exist in Orthodoxy.

thessalonian

1) They don't call purgatory by that name though they do believe in it. They also don't see it as a fire (thought this is not universal amongst them).
2) Immaculate conception - Though they do hold to some of it's concepts.
3) Dormition rather than Assumption. Meaning that Mary died and was assumed in to heaven. No biggie because this is acceptable in Catholicism.
4) filoque.
5) Primacy of Rome as well as infallibility.
6) They don't use the term transubstantiation but their beliefs are consistent with it.

The existance of the Orthodox as kindof a snapshot in time of what Catholicism was at the split provides an interesting case study for me in developement of doctrine and in the FACT that the world was all Catholic back then.

Blessings

So there is no Greek Orthodox Catechism. Got it. Also, they tend to believe most everything the same as the CC, but use alternated terms.

thessalonian

[quote name='jswranch' post='1030008' date='Jul 24 2006, 01:31 PM']
So there is no Greek Orthodox Catechism. Got it. Also, they tend to believe most everything the same as the CC, but use alternated terms.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say the same but with slight variations.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1030044' date='Jul 24 2006, 02:20 PM']
I wouldn't say the same but with slight variations.
[/quote]
Do you mean:
I would say...?

EcceNovaFacioOmni

They differ theologically on certain points just as the Eastern Catholics do. Apotheoun could explain it better than anyone if he were here.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1029831' date='Jul 24 2006, 07:53 AM']
1) They don't call purgatory by that name though they do believe in it. They also don't see it as a fire (thought this is not universal amongst them).
[/quote]

Hate to bring this back from the dead...

But is it actually dogma that we need to believe purgatory is a literal fire? What about Hell as a literal fire?

The difference is Purgatory is a refiners fire (cf CCC 1030). God is present there. Hell is a fire that completely lacks God's presence due to self exclusion (cf CCC 1033). It is the choice that souls can make.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1194533' date='Feb 14 2007, 05:21 AM']
must be a literal fire?
[/quote]

I don't know. But there are Church Father quotes that talk about hell being physical fire AND spiritual torment combined. The spiritual torments being MORE painful. :shock: