An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Order of the Visitation

msahara

Hey guys,

Is anyone here discerning with this order? Right now, I'm discerning with the Summit Dominicans and Carmels in NJ, MD, and Brooklyn but I've recently become interested in the Visitation nuns. I've read about their history and the Salesian spirituality but I was wondering if anyone has spoken with one of the nuns first hand and has any other info about life in a Visitation monastery. Thanks!

[quote name='msahara' post='1021516' date='Jul 10 2006, 11:05 PM']
Hey guys,

Is anyone here discerning with this order? Right now, I'm discerning with the Summit Dominicans and Carmels in NJ, MD, and Brooklyn but I've recently become interested in the Visitation nuns. I've read about their history and the Salesian spirituality but I was wondering if anyone has spoken with one of the nuns first hand and has any other info about life in a Visitation monastery. Thanks!
[/quote]

"The Spirit of the Visitation is one of profound humility before God and great sweetness toward neighbor." St. Francis de Sales

This quote is painted over the novitiate stairway at the Toledo, Ohio, Visitation monastery. There are also quotes painted over every door, and each nuns' cell is dedicated to a particular saint with a particular virtue cited under the name.

The Visitation permits cloistered retreats for not only lay women, but also for discerners. I attended a three-day vocation retreat. The first two days, I met with the retreat mistress two or three times a day. On the third day, I was allowed to "come on the stalls" and follow the novitiate sisters through their daily routine.

A monastic schedule is just that--a guideline. What happens day-to-day is the Lord's gift and surprise. No two days are ever alike. The nuns said people ask them what happens day-to-day. They have difficulty putting it into words.

The Visitation's spirituality is based on the "little virtues." St. Francis de Sales had intended the order to be for the frail, and those who could not hold their own in one of the more austere orders. Instead of external mortification, he wanted the nuns to practice "interior mortification." People accused him of "coming down off the cross" and starting "nursing homes."

But, the Visitation grew, and had many houses when the co-foundress, St. Jane Frances de Chantal, died. She was a widow with children, and gave her 15 year-old son over to relatives so she could get the order started.

There are two federations here in the states. The First Federation is cloistered, wears the habit, and includes the monasteries of Tyringham, MA; Toledo, OH; Rockville, VA; Snellville, GA; and Mobile, AL. The Second Federation is semi-cloistered (now called contemplative), and conduct schools. I cover the two who wear the habit: Brooklyn, NY; and Georgetown, DC. All can be found on our [url="http://cloisters.tripod.com/id3.html"]American Cloisters[/url] page.

There are a couple of posters here who are discerning with the Visitation. I believe one named Deborah has something to do with Tyringham. Josephamaria has been discerning with Toledo.

Our Cloisterites will have a triple spirituality, based primarily on Salesian, but they will also incorporate Dominican and Carmelite. All our SOLC Foundations will have Salesian spirituality in their first year of formation. For the Cloisterites, they will have Dominican spirituality (Johannes Tauler and St. Catherine of Siena) in the novice years, then Discalced Carmelite during the juniorate. The Cloisterites will also have an "undercurrent" of Passionist--many different devotions to the Sacred Passion, esp. on Fridays.

I know there may be other discerners here who have studied the Visitation, but Deborah, Josephamaria, and myself are the only three I know of.

Could you please tell me more about the Carmel of Brooklyn? I know they were refounded by Buffalo, but do they have a website yet? What about an address and phone number?

Blessings,
Gemma

[mod]Inappropriate - inDEED[/mod]

typically, the cloistered sisters are still good. and still wear the habit.

she_who_is_not

The Visitandines in Tyringham have a really great website. They update it frequently with trascripts of Sacred Heart Talks they give to the public. Also, they have a little newsletter from the noviciate. Doing a google search will turn it up.

[quote name='dspen2005' post='1021601' date='Jul 11 2006, 09:33 AM']
typically the cloistered sisters are still good. and still wear the habit.
[/quote]

The two Second Federation monasteries I cover should be OK. (Brooklyn & Georgetown). Otherwise, I steer clear.

Blessings,
Gemma

Thanks guys for the info! Gemma, I haven't visited the Brooklyn Carmel yet but I can get the address for you soon.

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1021618' date='Jul 11 2006, 10:12 AM']
The Visitandines in Tyringham have a really great website. They update it frequently with trascripts of Sacred Heart Talks they give to the public. Also, they have a little newsletter from the noviciate. Doing a google search will turn it up.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.vistyr.org/"]Visitation of Tyringham, MA[/url]

Blessings,
Gemma

josefamaria

[quote name='msahara' post='1021516' date='Jul 10 2006, 10:05 PM']
Hey guys,

[/quote]
msaraha: Gemma has explained it very well. I can speak for the Toledo Visitation sisters. They are a wonderful community--very sweet and kind (just as St. Francis de Sales wanted!!!). I have two friends that are in that community (have been there for over 8 years) and are very happy. I mostly kept in contact with Sr. Kathleen and I have watched her closeness to our Lord grow even more over the years. I have been to Toledo for retreats as well as to visit my friends so if you have any specific questions that Gemma, Deborah or I can answer I'm sure we would be happy to do so. Oh, I just realized they have been there for nearly 10 years (not 8)--time does fly. A picture of the Toledo sisters is on Gemma's website that she gave you. May our Lady guide you in your discernment.

brendan1104

I HIGHLY recommend Brooklyn Carmel. I am friends with the Sisters, and they were re-founded from my local Carmel. They are a great community. I was able to go to their open house. They're all such beautiful Sisters.

[quote name='msahara' post='1021516' date='Jul 10 2006, 11:05 PM']
Hey guys,

[/quote]

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1023384' date='Jul 12 2006, 10:53 PM']
I HIGHLY recommend Brooklyn Carmel. I am friends with the Sisters, and they were re-founded from my local Carmel. They are a great community. I was able to go to their open house. They're all such beautiful Sisters.
[/quote]

Thanks for all the info. I just sent a letter to the Brooklyn carmel and I'm just waiting for a reply. I'll probably go and visit in early sept.

Does anyone know if the Toledo Visitation nuns have a website?

[quote name='msahara' post='1023981' date='Jul 13 2006, 09:07 PM']
Thanks for all the info. I just sent a letter to the Brooklyn carmel and I'm just waiting for a reply. I'll probably go and visit in early sept.

Does anyone know if the Toledo Visitation nuns have a website?
[/quote]

Additionally, what's the history on the brooklyn carmel?

Toledo has a website, but it's incomplete at this time. They do, however, have their address and phone number on the last page. I think the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales are building the site for them.

[url="http://www.desales.org/Visitation/visitation.htm"]Toledo Visitation[/url]

They're also members of the Institute on Religious Life. That site has webfact pages on member communities.

Blessings,
Gemma