An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vegtarian for 8 years

memory-singer

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='jkaands' post='1021522' date='Jul 10 2006, 09:16 PM']
Are you sure St. Emma's doesn't offer veggie alternatives?

I would a) discuss it with them and/or b) offer to prepare veggie entree alternatives and/or c) search for another community.

To abstain from meat is beneficial for one's health and important for the ecology of the world. I am amazed that more communities don't as a minimum offer vegetarian alternatives, or, at the very least, permit their members to abstain. Eggs, milk, coagulated milk,cottage coagulated milk, tofu, TVP and peanut butter, beans and lentils are cheap and will provide all the protein you need. I eat a lot of these and am losing my taste for meat, especially beef. Meat is loaded with cholesterol, hormones, antibiotics, and other additives. Organic meats are expensive.

sin-cerely,

aspiring vegetarian
[/quote]
I heard a Hindu doctor admit that you will have certain deficiencies with a vegetarian diet, such as B vitamins maybe?

lamb and duck all the way.

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1020661' date='Jul 9 2006, 04:32 PM']
Hi everyone,

As many of you know I am planning to enter a Benedictine community in the near future. My spiritual director suggested I get used to eating meat etc. as Benedictines do not abstain from it and eating what one is given (with gratitude) is important in community life.

Help!! Advice etc.

slightly panicing,

dare
[/quote]
something like that happened to me years ago and I just weaned myself into meat. I started with a bit of proscuitto.

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1020684' date='Jul 9 2006, 05:44 PM']
I'm not sure why you quit eating meat but if it wasn't for medical purposes starting up again shouldn't be a big problem. As with any diet change moderation is recommended but not absolutely necessary. You could always start out with a monster burger of some sort. It'll give you a story to tell for the rest of your life.

:)
[/quote]
yeah, meat gave me a terrible stomach ache at first.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1025493' date='Jul 16 2006, 02:58 PM']
Couldn't you start with baby food?
[/quote]
brilliant idea! [img]http://www.galapagosinc.com/images/ddomodance26gu.gif[/img]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1025488' date='Jul 16 2006, 02:56 PM']
I heard a Hindu doctor admit that you will have certain deficiencies with a vegetarian diet, such as B vitamins maybe?

lamb and duck all the way.
something like that happened to me years ago and I just weaned myself into meat. I started with a bit of proscuitto.
yeah, meat gave me a terrible stomach ache at first.
[/quote]

The true vegetarian, or vegan, has to supplement his/her diet with B12 supplements. This is a very difficult diet..

Most vegetarians are lacto-ovo vegetarians--they eat milk and egg products--no problem there. And a much easier diet, cheap, too.

I would check with the community.

If I were a confirmed veggie, I would have a terrible time going back to meat. Maybe fish.

Birgitta Noel

Don't eat a lot right away. You might get REALLY sick (I speak from watching someone do this).