An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vegtarian for 8 years

memory-singer

memory-singer

Hi everyone,

As many of you know I am planning to enter a Benedictine community in the near future. My spiritual director suggested I get used to eating meat etc. as Benedictines do not abstain from it and eating what one is given (with gratitude) is important in community life.

Help!! Advice etc.

slightly panicing,

dare

I'm not sure why you quit eating meat but if it wasn't for medical purposes starting up again shouldn't be a big problem. As with any diet change moderation is recommended but not absolutely necessary. You could always start out with a monster burger of some sort. It'll give you a story to tell for the rest of your life.

:)

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1020684' date='Jul 9 2006, 07:44 PM']
I'm not sure why you quit eating meat but if it wasn't for medical purposes starting up again shouldn't be a big problem. As with any diet change moderation is recommended but not absolutely necessary. You could always start out with a monster burger of some sort. It'll give you a story to tell for the rest of your life.

:)
[/quote]

I had this same problem. I just recently (about 3 months ago) became vegetarian but one of the communities that I'm discerning with eats meat. One piece of advice that one of the postulants of the community gave me was to remember the community spirit of the cloister- that you [i]are[/i] supposed to eat what's given to you out of graditude for God's provision and love for whichever sister prepared the food.

Practically, start small and build up. Start with fish and seafood (if you're an ovo-lacto veg)incorporated into your fave recipes and try that out for 1-2 wks. Then incorporate chicken for another 1-2 wks. And then red meat like beef and pork, always in small amts b/c you don't want to overdue it. And it'll def be a trial but see it as a very good mortification that will help you abnegate your self will and grow in genuine love for Our Lord and the community you will be joining. I hope this helps.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='msahara' post='1020713' date='Jul 10 2006, 02:29 AM']Practically, start small and build up. Start with fish and seafood (if you're an ovo-lacto veg)incorporated into your fave recipes and try that out for 1-2 wks. Then incorporate chicken for another 1-2 wks. And then red meat like beef and pork, always in small amts b/c you don't want to overdue it. And it'll def be a trial but see it as a very good mortification that will help you abnegate your self will and grow in genuine love for Our Lord and the community you will be joining. I hope this helps.
[/quote]

Brilliant advice! I read the thread wanting to say something, but msahara had already said it, and better too :)

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1020661' date='Jul 9 2006, 06:32 PM']
Hi everyone,

As many of you know I am planning to enter a Benedictine community in the near future. My spiritual director suggested I get used to eating meat etc. as Benedictines do not abstain from it and eating what one is given (with gratitude) is important in community life.

Help!! Advice etc.

slightly panicing,

dare
[/quote]

Which Bens?

As someone else has already posted, fish would be a good starting point. I know a friend of mine was trying to get me to go vegan, and he suggested white-meat fish as a cross-over, helping to wean myself from meat. However, I'm not the kind who can tolerate a vegan diet--I do better with fish.

Our Cloisterites will be implementing the Blood-Type Diet, and also using the "best" recipes from around the world. DS2's godmother is German, and she made a delightful dark bread. There was also a cracked wheat dish that a lady at church made, saying it was something Our Lord would've eaten.

Alas, I digress. I shall pray for this matter. May St. Maximilian Kolbe assist you!

Blessings,
Gemma

memory-singer

Dear Everyone,

Thanks for your advice. This is very difficult for me. I originally became a vegetarian as an ethical choice and it is not so "easy" to give up "my way" of trying to live in simplicity and solidarity. Also, I do worry about health risks (and yes, I know that I definitely need to let that go and am working on it.)

Please pray for me as I begin a new diet today (fasting from my own preference.) I am beginning slowly and careffully as was suggested.

Gemma,

I am discerning with the community at St. Emma Monastery in Pennsylvania. If all goes well I hope to do the 3 month required live in this year.

Thanks again everyone.

Pax,

Dare

VeniteAdoremus

Hi there,

Just one thing I wanted to add: be VERY careful with hygiene when preparing your meals! That's always important when it comes to fish, meat, and also eggs, but we (I'm a veggie too) are completely unaccustomed to the microbes that live there (the good and the bad ones), unlike meat-eaters who've been getting in tiny amounts of them for all their lives, and therefore have a much better resistance to them.

Good luck with doing this. I can relate to how you feel - it must be hard.

~~VA

*Edit: In reading back, this sounds overly scary, which is not what I meant... Just remember to use different chopping boards for raw and prepared foods, and stuff like that. :)

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

I'm curious, do Benedictines only abstain during lent?

At OLAM they eat meat on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays only.

puellapaschalis

Chapter 39 states that meat from four-footed animals should not be eaten except by those who are very ill and weak. The rest of the chapter talks more about the time of the meals rather than what's eaten. In practise it's determined by the Abbot or his designate, although meals are much more frugal during Lent.

Love and prayers,

PP

memory-singer

Thanks again everyone. I will be at St. Emma's from August 13-21 and plan to eat whatever I'm given . I know the community lives simply so I suspect that chicken will be "par for the course."
(I couldn't resist.) :pigfly:

Pax,

Dare

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1021211' date='Jul 10 2006, 11:08 AM']
I'm curious, do Benedictines only abstain during lent?

At OLAM they eat meat on Sundays, Mondays, and Wednesdays only.
[/quote]

Funny... those might end up being my penitential days... I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm not big on meat. Although I must say I was amazed at how delicious all the food was... even the stuff I normally don't think I'd like.

I'm in the process of learning to like fish and chicken because I have a feeling I could be eating a lot of it in the future. Why do I have to be so picky?

[quote name='TrueImage' post='1021413' date='Jul 10 2006, 04:46 PM']
I'm in the process of learning to like fish and chicken because I have a feeling I could be eating a lot of it in the future. Why do I have to be so picky?
[/quote]

You're a human in a spoiled society. The fact that it's hard for us and we still try makes it mean more to Jesus though...

[quote name='Mercy's Child' post='1020661' date='Jul 9 2006, 04:32 PM']
Hi everyone,

Help!! Advice etc.

slightly panicing,

dare
[/quote]

Are you sure St. Emma's doesn't offer veggie alternatives?

I would a) discuss it with them and/or b) offer to prepare veggie entree alternatives and/or c) search for another community.

To abstain from meat is beneficial for one's health and important for the ecology of the world. I am amazed that more communities don't as a minimum offer vegetarian alternatives, or, at the very least, permit their members to abstain. Eggs, milk, coagulated milk,cottage coagulated milk, tofu, TVP and peanut butter, beans and lentils are cheap and will provide all the protein you need. I eat a lot of these and am losing my taste for meat, especially beef. Meat is loaded with cholesterol, hormones, antibiotics, and other additives. Organic meats are expensive.

sin-cerely,

aspiring vegetarian

I can relate, My spiritual director told me I need to start " Practicing" eating meet. I stopped eating it about 15 years ago after a bad experience and have since only eaten fish,chicken adn turkey. It has been a hard adjustment since my system is not used to it. I've got about 14 months until I would be eneting God willing so I am taking my time. As a start when I've gone to visit orders obviously I eat what's before and that has been a grace in and of itself. I'm not ready to sit down and eat a steak or anything like that but I can do bacon and a few other things. So I guess just add tings into your diet slowly and pray.