An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics do more evangelizing like Protestants?

rkwright

Should Catholics do more evangelizing like Protestants?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think as Catholics we need to remember that it was us who brought Christianity to the natives of North and South America. Now we are working on Africa and Asia. And while Protestants are doing similar evangelization I always thought it was funny when people said they were doing mission trips to South America and one day I asked them why they were going there because like everyone there is Catholic and my friend said that that was the reason they were going. I was very taken aback.

blovedwolfofgod

i got a jehovah's Witness handbook. im VERY excited! its got 20 pages on effective evangelization. conversation starters, how to avoid conversation stoppers, i just need to substitute JW theology and insert some good Catholic theology.

but yeah, i do really think we need to evangelize better. my protestant friends are really starting to convicte me of it. i was told earlier that i have neighbors... why dont i talk to them if i have so much time.

Budge,
[quote name='Budge' post='1019422' date='Jul 7 2006, 02:58 PM']
The Catholic church believes in DIALOGUE, everyone have a happy rap session and learn about false religions rather then evangelization.[/quote]
Negative shipmate. Dialogue begins with where we agree to find where we disagree. Once we find the root of where we disagree we can begin to debate and bring understanding between parties. Please stop equating dialogue with the alleged melding of beliefs into a new hybrid faith. Perhaps you should read [url="http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000806_dominus-iesus_en.html"]DOMINUS IESUS by the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith[/url] where Ratzinger warned Catholics, while dialogue is good, should be careful in keeping away secularism (not caring to change someone's errant faith) and Pluralism (infusing pagan beliefs with Catholic truth).

[quote]What is the [u]good news[/u] in Catholicism?

You MAYBE get to go to PURGATORY....
[/quote]I would be willing to bet you a taco you do understand the Catholic doctrine of purgatory, but have some wacky interpretation of what you think the Catholic doctrine of purgatory. Besides, finding you are in purgatory is good news, as apposed to the alternative (hell, nothingness, nirvana).

I am waiting for that last little nudge to begin some sort of street evangelization or full court press to my separated bretheren family and friends. I want to place fliers on the windshields of the local megachurch. (Hang a sign around my neck infront of the local ma and pa parish stating to 'stop this false church.' ? :topsy: )

I want to make appointments with pastors of protestant churches, to sit across the desk from them and ask them why they are not catholic.... then go to work proving their response (what ever it is) wrong. I want to ask 'Christians' how they can call themselves 'saved' when they have not eaten the body and blood of Christ when he tells warns us that to neglect the sacrement is to "have no life within you."

I guess I am waiting for confirmation that I am not just nutty in my mannerism of evangelization. :disguise:

michaelorapronobis

[quote name='jswranch' post='1019744' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:36 PM']
Dialogue begins with where we agree to find where we disagree. Once we find the root of where we disagree we can begin to debate and bring understanding between parties. Please stop equating dialogue with the alleged melding of beliefs into a new hybrid faith.
[/quote]

My good Catholic friend (now my godmother) did this with me when I was involved with the Hare Krishna cult. We used to talk about differences between our religions, things we had in common, and we used to equate rituals from the two religions. She never once pushed Jesus on me, telling me that I had to believe in Him, or said that the Hare Krishna faith was wrong. I think, had she done this, I wouldn't have come to her so fast when I wanted to become Catholic. I believe she prayed for me as well.

Jesuspaidtheprice

Evangelize always out of love and always for Christ. Never evangelize because 'you're right and they are wrong'. It is amazing what that does to your attitude.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1019422' date='Jul 7 2006, 04:58 PM']
The Catholic church believes in DIALOGUE, everyone have a happy rap session and learn about false religions rather then evangelization.

What is the [u]good news[/u] in Catholicism?

You MAYBE get to go to PURGATORY....
[/quote]
I will be very grateful if I am found worthy of purgatory.

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1019842' date='Jul 8 2006, 08:44 AM']
Evangelize always out of love and always for Christ. Never evangelize because 'you're right and they are wrong'. It is amazing what that does to your attitude.
[/quote]
We agree.

[quote name='jswranch' post='1019746' date='Jul 7 2006, 11:49 PM']
I am waiting for that last little nudge to begin some sort of street evangelization or full court press to my separated bretheren family and friends. I want to place fliers on the windshields of the local megachurch. (Hang a sign around my neck infront of the local ma and pa parish stating to 'stop this false church.' ? :topsy: )

I want to make appointments with pastors of protestant churches, to sit across the desk from them and ask them why they are not catholic.... then go to work proving their response (what ever it is) wrong. I want to ask 'Christians' how they can call themselves 'saved' when they have not eaten the body and blood of Christ when he tells warns us that to neglect the sacrement is to "have no life within you."

I guess I am waiting for confirmation that I am not just nutty in my mannerism of evangelization. :disguise:
[/quote]

More good ideas! I started this thread really for 2 reasons, to get people's reaction but also to see some practical ways of doing it. Keep em coming!

[quote name='jswranch' post='1019746' date='Jul 8 2006, 12:49 AM']I am waiting for that last little nudge to begin some sort of street evangelization or full court press to my separated bretheren family and friends. I want to place fliers on the windshields of the local megachurch. (Hang a sign around my neck infront of the local ma and pa parish stating to 'stop this false church.' ? :topsy: )

[/quote]
I've been there, I definitely know what you mean. The only thing that worries me about that kind of thing is that it tends to turn people off. Just from personal experience, how do we feel when someone comes to our door to talk about Jehovah, or how often do we just take a tract and throw it away when someone is out on the street? It's pretty rare that anyone really cares, and they'll probably just think Catholicism is another crazy cult.

Something I've thought about is handing out something like icon tracts. No doctrine, just a picture of an icon, and maybe a prayer on the other side. I always find personally that a good icon gets me thinking about God, whether I want to or not. It talks to the soul rather than the head.

Something else I've thought about is going around to a street every week and collecting addresses, and personally sending out letters about Catholicism, and maybe starting a website for people to come to if they want to discuss more, or at least an email (or maybe even a phone number). This avoids the awkwardness of going door-to-door, but still gets the message out. It's illegal to place things in people's mailbox, so you'll have to pay for postage, but it would be a good apostolate expense.

MissScripture

[quote name='Jesuspaidtheprice' post='1019842' date='Jul 8 2006, 07:44 AM']
[/quote]
Haha, reminds me of this time a baptist minister came to our door and got into an argument with my dad and he (the minister) ended up walking out in the middle of what my dad was saying because he had nowhere to go with his argument.

Personally, I've never liked the in-your-face kind of evangelism that many Protestants do. I've done it before ... forced to do it in high school at malls and other similar venues :pinch: ... but it's just not something I'm comfortable with. I suppose I don't think it's [i]wrong[/i] per se, just uncomfortable, both for the evangalizer and the evangelizee.

I guess part of what makes me uncomfortable about confrontive evangelization is the tendency to treat faith and the church as something that people should "buy" -- that if I can just say the right words, manipulate the situation just so, a certain percentage of people are bound to bite. It becomes a sales technique for faith, and that just makes me a little squirmy.

I dunno. I have such a bad taste in my mouth from being forced into doing this that I am probably not a good judge of whether or not it's a good thing. These days, I find I don't have to go out seeking opportunities to share my story -- they come to me. I get to talk about my faith quite often, and share my story, and talk about how my life has changed. I'm quite comfortable doing that, and those opportunities just seem to happen. But God in his providence gifts us all differently ... :idontknow:

MissScripture

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1019897' date='Jul 8 2006, 09:57 AM']
Personally, I've never liked the in-your-face kind of evangelism that many Protestants do. I've done it before ... forced to do it in high school at malls and other similar venues :pinch: ... but it's just not something I'm comfortable with. I suppose I don't think it's [i]wrong[/i] per se, just uncomfortable, both for the evangalizer and the evangelizee.

I guess part of what makes me uncomfortable about confrontive evangelization is the tendency to treat faith and the church as something that people should "buy" -- that if I can just say the right words, manipulate the situation just so, a certain percentage of people are bound to bite. It becomes a sales technique for faith, and that just makes me a little squirmy.

I dunno. I have such a bad taste in my mouth from being forced into doing this that I am probably not a good judge of whether or not it's a good thing. These days, I find I don't have to go out seeking opportunities to share my story -- they come to me. I get to talk about my faith quite often, and share my story, and talk about how my life has changed. I'm quite comfortable doing that, and those opportunities just seem to happen. But God in his providence gifts us all differently ... :idontknow:
[/quote]
I think it makes sense to say that they are trying to sell faith. Evangelizers actually remind me a lot of telemarketers when it's the the in-your-face style.

Norseman82

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1019918' date='Jul 8 2006, 10:19 AM']
I think it makes sense to say that they are trying to sell faith. Evangelizers actually remind me a lot of telemarketers when it's the the in-your-face style.
[/quote]

And keep in mind that a salesman is considered unreputable if he/she forces an immediate decision without giving time to condifer it.

My personal approach is basically to get to know the people you are involved with in everyday life, find out where they are, keep your own nose clean so that you are a good example, and when the time comes, present/defend the faith as necessary. You may not get an immediate conversion, but at least you may "prep the fields" for the future, as well as dispel any misconceptions about Catholicism. And that in itself may be important because you may prevent [i]that[/i] person from leading [i]someone else[/i] astray or into anti-Catholic hatred.

As far as "in your face" is concerned, if someone gets in my face, I will get back into their face. It's like what Sean Connery said in "The Untouchables": "If someone comes at you with a knife, you go after them with a gun".

misereremi

[quote name='Era Might' post='1019880' date='Jul 8 2006, 03:30 PM']

Something I've thought about is handing out something like icon tracts. No doctrine, just a picture of an icon, and maybe a prayer on the other side. I always find personally that a good icon gets me thinking about God, whether I want to or not. It talks to the soul rather than the head.

[/quote]
Yes, I do this! I love icons and religious art and think that a picture really speaks volumes. I know a friar who saw a picture of the Divine Mercy that helped him in his conversion. So I got a few Divine Mercy and icon tracts from the Catholic enquiry office here that have a simple prayer at the back for people who are searching. It also has contacts to learn about Catholicism. I used to make my own. I thought if more people knew the St Michael prayer it would help. :idontknow:

Whenever I go out, especially to dodgy areas I stop and give a card to someone, a homeless person, an addict, a single mom, whoever. Or if I get talking to someone and they start telling me about suffering and problems they have, I give them one. I leave them in places like phone booths to replace the sex calling cards (this might be illegal.. :unsure: ), drug taking hot spots, or among secular flyers in bars, or other hang-outs. I started thinking of other places, like where people gather to mourn someone who was killed at a certain spot, like in a road accident or stabbing. I'm not sure if this would be right?

It's amazing how many people we bump into who do want to know, and how no one we meet is by chance.

I don't like the "in your face" persuasive evangelisation which can be off-putting, I agree.
I have gone up to people to hand out flyers for Catholic events for them to check out, or if I see someone wearing a rosary (for fashion or other statement) we get talking. But it's never pushy.

Any suggestions for ways to evangelise are really welcome!!! Music is of course a great way to do it.