An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Catholics do more evangelizing like Protestants?

rkwright

Should Catholics do more evangelizing like Protestants?  

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Since I've been in school I've been handed 2 tracts, approached by 4-5 people, all evangelizing to me. They don't really get too far before I tell them that I'm a Christian Catholic. Yet I wonder if we should be doing more of the same stuff. If we really cared about bringing people to the fullness of the Christ, converting the 'heretics', should we also be using similar tactics?

Thy Geekdom Come

I went to see fireworks on the 4th of July in Pittsburgh and there were people passing out free ice-cold water and Chick tracts. If only Catholics could do things like that...it wasn't invasive, people wanted the water and got the tract with it. Of course, we wouldn't pass out Chick tracts.

I think we scared them a bit, because we talked to them for about an hour and tried to clarify what Catholics believe, but they seemed skeptical.

Fulton Sheen Warrior

+JMJ+

I think more evangeliation is always a good thing. Pope Benedict often speaks of evangelizing in the work place even. My father keeps a big crucifix, picture of Pope Benedict XVI, and a large image of the Divine Mercy with Gregorian chant playing in his office. ^_^ One person is on the verge of converting because of her discussions with him...I wonder where she got the idea he was Catholic? :detective:

I also think their is just no talking to some people, in which case we should take St. Ambrose's advice and talk to God about the person instead to the person about God.

[quote]
I went to see fireworks on the 4th of July in Pittsburgh and there were people passing out free ice-cold water and Chick tracts. If only Catholics could do things like that...it wasn't invasive, people wanted the water and got the tract with it. Of course, we wouldn't pass out Chick tracts.

I think we scared them a bit, because we talked to them for about an hour and tried to clarify what Catholics believe, but they seemed skeptical.[/quote]

Did you strap the tracts to the fireworks? :smokey:

Edited by Fulton Sheen Warrior

From the Second Vatican Council:

[quote]Catholics, in their ecumenical work, must assuredly be concerned for their separated brethren, praying for them, keeping them informed about the Church, making the first approaches toward them. But their primary duty is to make a careful and honest appraisal of whatever needs to be done or renewed in the Catholic household itself, in order that its life may bear witness more clearly and faithfully to the teachings and institutions which have come to it from Christ through the Apostles.

--Unitatis Redintegratio[/quote]

From the point of view of the person a lot of the evangelizing is directed at, it's not always a pleasant situation to be put in. I'm not saying it's wrong or that I disagree with it. It just gets extremely upsetting when I'm told I'm going to Hell for worshipping a being I don't even believe in. I wholeheartedly support meaningful conversations that explain one's beliefs and their reasons for believing what they do. Harassment is where I draw the line. In my own religion, however, proselytizing is strictly taboo.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1019309' date='Jul 7 2006, 02:01 PM']
From the point of view of the person a lot of the evangelizing is directed at, it's not always a pleasant situation to be put in. I'm not saying it's wrong or that I disagree with it. It just gets extremely upsetting when I'm told I'm going to Hell for worshipping a being I don't even believe in. I wholeheartedly support meaningful conversations that explain one's beliefs and their reasons for believing what they do. Harassment is where I draw the line. In my own religion, however, proselytizing is strictly taboo.
[/quote]
:lol: That's not evangelizing; fundamentalists just like to call it that. Evangelium (euangelion in Greek) means "good news." Now, we have to address hell because people have a right to know (and some people really need to know), but the good news is that God became human to save His people from their sins. That's what the good news is. The good news is that God, who is infinitely above all creation, has come among us to save us from evil. Anyone who sees evil in the world should see that as good news.

Edited by Raphael

That's true. Still doesn't upset me any less when others from my faith are called demon-whores and teenage girls are driven to suicide when she is constantly mocked by her classmates for being Wiccan (true story, her name was Tempest Smith). Even if it's not actually evangelizing, it's trying to show someone the light, and hurts them in the process. But at the same time, I won't deny it didn't bring a big smile to my face when my friends and I were approached by a girl our age from a local church in a parking lot and offered us prayer cards, said a prayer with us, and told us that her church was always open. That I have no problem with, and actually enjoy the unity in love of whatever gods we believe in between myself and a complete stranger for those few moments.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1019313' date='Jul 7 2006, 02:10 PM']
That's true. Still doesn't upset me any less when others from my faith are called demon-whores and teenage girls are driven to suicide when she is constantly mocked by her classmates for being Wiccan (true story, her name was Tempest Smith). Even if it's not actually evangelizing, it's trying to show someone the light, and hurts them in the process. But at the same time, I won't deny it didn't bring a big smile to my face when my friends and I were approached by a girl our age from a local church in a parking lot and offered us prayer cards, said a prayer with us, and told us that her church was always open. That I have no problem with, and actually enjoy the unity in love of whatever gods we believe in between myself and a complete stranger for those few moments.
[/quote]
No, it's not at all an attempt to show someone the light. When they do that, they're basically professing to have the light, but not showing it. Instead, they are giving the very false impression that the light consists of insulting and demeaning others in ways their human dignity doesn't deserve. That is the farthest thing from the light, and it converts no one at all to love, but only gains those who are looking for a group to join, and groups are most clearly distinct when they have a common enemy.

Sounds like the girl who prayed with you had a far better idea of what evangelization is.

I'm gonna quote our venerable sage, the_rev...

"You may be the only Gospel anyone ever reads."

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1019313' date='Jul 7 2006, 01:10 PM']
[/quote]

See now the prayer idea would be a cool thing. Maybe a divine chaplet 'tract' or something? Like Raphael was saying, why not attach them to free water at some event or something. My Parish could easily hand out free water with a prayer card attached type deal on big weekends, football games, any event really.

Era is kinda hitting on another point, that our actions do speak greatly. But sometimes in this day I wonder how often people equate living out the Gospel to being a Catholic Christian and not just a Christian.

Prayer cards are a very good idea, if you ask me, as they aren't too expensive to print. Even if a person isn't immediately converted, it's still nice to know that someone thinks they're worthy enough to be offered and informed about another path, one that has given countless people infinite joy.

It's just too much when the fine line between evangelizing and harassing is crossed though.

The Catholic church believes in DIALOGUE, everyone have a happy rap session and learn about false religions rather then evangelization.

What is the [u]good news[/u] in Catholicism?

You MAYBE get to go to PURGATORY....

[quote]Missionary activity proper, namely the mission ad gentes, is directed to "peoples or groups who do not yet believe in Christ," "who are far from Christ," in whom the Church "has not yet taken root" and whose culture has not yet been influenced by the Gospel. It is distinct from other ecclesial activities inasmuch as it is addressed to groups and settings which are non-Christian because the preaching of the Gospel and the presence of the Church are either absent or insufficient. It can thus be characterized as the work of proclaiming Christ and his Gospel, building up the local Church and promoting the values of the kingdom. The specific nature of this mission ad gentes consists in its being addressed to "non-Christians." It is therefore necessary to ensure that this specifically "missionary work that Jesus entrusted and still entrusts each day to his Church" does not become an indistinguishable part of the overall mission of the whole People of God and as a result become neglected or forgotten.

--Pope John Paul II, Encyclical Letter "Redemptoris Missio"[/quote]

Yes of course Catholics should do more Evangelizing, but how are we going to Evangelize while at the same time many in the church are saying Christ and the Church are not needed for salvation? Including some in high places? Others have said "be better budhists, be better muslims, be better protestants". Is that proclaiming the gospel? I'll trusts Christ's words over anyone elses. "unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you have no life in you". (having no life in you, basically means your dead) and if the body and blood of Christ can only be found in the Catholic Church, what does that say about the outsiders? Its not only wisdom, but common sense.

Edited by Akalyte