An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesuits Put Up One World Religion Monument

Budge

[quote]Monument of Peace
New on the Grotto Mountain New on the Grotto Mountain New on the Grotto Mountain

The monument is sponsored by Les Jésuites de Sudbury.

'' No service of faith without promotion of justice. No promotion of justice without dialogue with other traditions.'' (34th General Congregation 1995, Society of Jesus)

''From the beginning to the end WORKING TOGETHER FOR PEACE'' ALPHA AND OMEGA

Peace represented by a dove, a Christian Cross and the symbols in each of the letters A(lpha) and O(mega) represents the 12 current religions.

You can visit the monument of peace on the right hand side of the alter where Mass is celebrated on
the Grotto Mountain.
[/quote]

SEE PICTURES HERE:

[url="http://www.diocesessm.org/WorkspaceFolder.2004-12-08.0933900410/Workspace.2004-12-08.1056657607/News.2006-07-05.4439849939/en"]http://www.diocesessm.org/WorkspaceFolder....5.4439849939/en[/url]

Buddha, Allah, Yin Yang symbol included, so what do you folks think of this?

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1019115' date='Jul 7 2006, 09:51 AM']
SEE PICTURES HERE:

[url="http://www.diocesessm.org/WorkspaceFolder.2004-12-08.0933900410/Workspace.2004-12-08.1056657607/News.2006-07-05.4439849939/en"]http://www.diocesessm.org/WorkspaceFolder....5.4439849939/en[/url]
Buddha, Allah, Yin Yang symbol included, so what do you folks think of this?
[/quote]
While there's nothing wrong with a monument that shows religions joining together (that's conjunction, not union) for peace, this seems to be more of the hippy persuasion.

Budge, if you want to make a statement against the Church, I suggest that you don't use odd findings which aren't supported, implicitly or explicitly, by the Church. Just because someone in the Church says or does something that's a bit "off" doesn't make it a representation of the Church. Sad to say it, but please take weird Jesuit things with a grain of salt.

michaelorapronobis

It is a violation of the First Commandment and is directly contrary to the First Article of the Creed. God says "Thou shalt not have strange gods before me". Jesus said "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me" (Jn 14:6). It is clear that there is only one God, and that Jesus is the only way to God.

For almost 2,000 years the Church has taught that "Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus" - Outside the Church there is no Salvation.

What the Church Says "There is but one universal Church of the faithful outside of which no one at all can be saved." --Pope Innocent III

"The most Holy Roman Catholic Church firmly believes, professes, and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church ... can have eternal life." --Pope Eugene IV, The Bull Cantate Domino 1441 A.D., Ex cathedra.

"We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff." --Pope Boniface VIII, The Bull Unnam Sanctam 1302 A.D., Ex cathedra

This monument is saying that the Church teaching is no longer true, and that all religions are valid paths to God. The people who made and commissioned this monument are therefore heretics.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Michael' post='1019133' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:11 AM']
It is a violation of the First Commandment and is directly contrary to the First Article of the Creed. God says "Thou shalt not have strange gods before me". Jesus said "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me" (Jn 14:6). It is clear that there is only one God, and that Jesus is the only way to God.

For almost 2,000 years the Church has taught that "Extra Ecclesiam Nulla Salus" - Outside the Church there is no Salvation.

What the Church Says "There is but one universal Church of the faithful outside of which no one at all can be saved." --Pope Innocent III

"The most Holy Roman Catholic Church firmly believes, professes, and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church ... can have eternal life." --Pope Eugene IV, The Bull Cantate Domino 1441 A.D., Ex cathedra.

"We declare, say, define, and pronounce that it is absolutely necessary for the salvation of every human creature to be subject to the Roman Pontiff." --Pope Boniface VIII, The Bull Unnam Sanctam 1302 A.D., Ex cathedra

This monument is saying that the Church teaching is no longer true, and that all religions are valid paths to God. The people who made and commissioned this monument are therefore heretics.
[/quote]

Careful throwing the term "heretic" around. While your quotes are correct, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with an interfaith monument, unless it says something about all religions being equal.

That said, the monument is confusing at best, and heretical at worst (which I can't state definitively because I don't have enough information on what message the artists are trying to convey).

I guess it depends on how you take it. If you take it that all religions are correct it could be considered heretical by the standards in the quotes from Michael. On the other hand, it could also be an acknowledgement that other religions exist and that peace could be achieved if they all agree to disagree, basically.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1019147' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:29 AM']
I guess it depends on how you take it. If you take it that all religions are correct it could be considered heretical by the standards in the quotes from Michael. On the other hand, it could also be an acknowledgement that other religions exist and that peace could be achieved if they all agree to disagree, basically.
[/quote]
Well, no, Christianity can never agree to disagree. We are here to set the world ablaze with the love of Christ. Agreeing to disagree would immediately dissolve the Church. It simply can't be done (seriously, it's not even possible).

Ouch. My naiveity is showing. Good thing I'm here to learn. I guess my only argument left is that I like it then. :P

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Lahecil' post='1019155' date='Jul 7 2006, 10:33 AM']
Ouch. My naiveity is showing. Good thing I'm here to learn. I guess my only argument left is that I like it then. :P
[/quote]
:lol:

Lounge Daddy

interesting that the Jesuits are always good for this action these days
it has become very typical of them

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='thedude' post='1019196' date='Jul 7 2006, 11:57 AM']
Actions of the Jesuit order do not imply Church approval.
[/quote]
Hehe...sounds like a warning label.

cmotherofpirl

This is what it says:

"No service of faith without promotion of justice.
No promotion of justice without dialogue with other traditions.''

It doesn't say anything about equality.
It does mention faith and works, and dialogue. Dialogue does not imply equality, but conversation. ...
We cannot convert people that we don't talk to! :D:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1019209' date='Jul 7 2006, 12:03 PM']
This is what it says:

"No service of faith without promotion of justice.
No promotion of justice without dialogue with other traditions.''

It doesn't say anything about equality.
It does mention faith and works, and dialogue. Dialogue does not imply equality, but conversation. ...
We cannot convert people that we don't talk to! :D:
[/quote]
Yes, we just want to be sure that their definitions of "justice" and "dialogue" are the orthodox ones, rather than the popular ones.

Looks to me to be a symbol that Christianity is the one true religion, seeing that the cross is above all of the other symbols, in a position of superiority.