An Old School Catholic Message Board

Amnesty International

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

Just how pro-abortion is AI? I think they're a great charity, but they could be a lot bettter if not for the pro-abortion thing.

Well, *I think* as of right now they're not pro-abortion YET. But right now they're in the process of changing their stance officially. It hasn't happened yet as far as I know, they're still getting input from members and others about the change. SO WRITE THEM and tell them they shouldn't have a stance on abortion!!

Their area of interest doesn't really have anything to do with abortion... so, I don't see what their being pro-abortion means. :idontknow:

I know they're against the [i]forced[/i] abortions that take place in certain areas of the world.

If anything they should be pro-life Amnesty international was at one time very Catholic (its leader was a devout Catholic) hence the symbolism of their candle as a Christian symbol. Yet like many other groups it has been hijacked by secular liberal forces.

Back to my original point traditionally Amnesty has stood up for the rights of the disenchanted and forgotten and for life (hence their stand against capital punishment) so it boogles my mind that they are not standing up for perhaps the most marginalized and forgotten in our society the unborn.

[quote name='philothea' post='1013507' date='Jun 27 2006, 10:51 PM']
Their area of interest doesn't really have anything to do with abortion... so, I don't see what their being pro-abortion means. :idontknow:

I know they're against the [i]forced[/i] abortions that take place in certain areas of the world.
[/quote]

They've proposed that the right to "reproductive health" (which includes abortion) is a human right, so they want to work to establish that right for all people throughout the world. :(

Amnesty International is officially neutral on the issue of abortion (I happen to be the president of a chapter). In the past they've taken care to make sure that any statute they support especially ones regarding women are acceptable to people on both sides of the debate. Its true that they have considered changing their stance, but it has not happened yet and I'm sure that many Amnesty members including myself will fight to make sure it never happens.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

[quote name='morostheos' post='1013490' date='Jun 27 2006, 10:37 PM']
Well, *I think* as of right now they're not pro-abortion YET. But right now they're in the process of changing their stance officially. It hasn't happened yet as far as I know, they're still getting input from members and others about the change. SO WRITE THEM and tell them they shouldn't have a stance on abortion!!
[/quote]

why would anyone want to do that? :lol:

write to them and tell them to be pro-life....

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1014831' date='Jun 29 2006, 10:23 PM']
why would anyone want to do that? :lol:

write to them and tell them to be pro-life....
[/quote]

:D: of course. What I meant was that they shouldn't have their proposed stance on abortion... :P: