An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does OLAM have a pool?

awyers

Guest Perpetualove

The Dominican Nuns in Hollywood, CA have a pool. They have a very small parcel of land and they use for exercise purposes. Of course, being cloistered, nobody can see it, and I am not sure how or when the time is scheduled for them, but swimming does make sense especially for older sisters who do need gentle (like non-impact) exercise. I think a pool makes sense for a cloistered community on limited grounds, though not so much when a cloistered community has large grounds that allow for walking. Just my thoughts.

I must say that I found most of the entries about nuns swimming in a pool, in "gasp!!!" bathing suits to be very funny. Years ago, when you could actually find a deserted beach, some orders went to the beach during the day during the summer months when school was out. A now deceased member of the Grey Nuns of the Sacred Heart told me what she did on summer vacation when I asked. That was forty years ago.

So many people cannot afford the exorbitant cost of air conditioning. Personnally, I think it does fly in the face of the vow of poverty. While we may have become accustomed to AC, it is hardly necessary the way that heating is. In fact, even nowadays, most of European homes and many hotels, do not have AC either.

Swimming pools provide very necessary exercise. As such, they promote good health.

Edited by Deborah

In my superficial/trivial world, where I think about what would be hardest for me to "give up" as a religious, swimming is it!

Theeeeeeeeen, when I visited Nashville OPs, I learned that the sisters DO have a pool. They don't use it very often. And it's just for solitary use. But still... I think that's a bit of a God-incidence in my life. :)