An Old School Catholic Message Board

Does OLAM have a pool?

awyers

I just read that OLAM has a pool :unsure: , this isnt true is it ? I didnt think nuns even went swimming, those habits could get pretty heavy when wet :o I also read that it is air conditioned which could change what I pack, is this true??

As far as I know, from what Mother Delores Marie told me, OLAM-Hanceville doesn't have a pool. However, when they were in Irondale, they did swim in the pool there. I'm not quite sure what they've done with the pool now, since EWTN kind of took over the old monastery. When I was at the Sisters of Life we swam in a pool or a friend's. It was enclosed, and of course, no one was able to see us when we swam.

Yes, there is A/C there in Hanceville. Again, based on what M. Delores Marie shared with me of that monastery (the abbess in Portsmouth, who is from OLAM).

You'll need some clothing for the cooler indoors and the swelteringly humid outside. ;)

God bless you.

religious wear swimsuites just like any other person. However if they do have a pool it would be in doors and it would be for personal use, not for recreation or anything like that.

I know the OSF Sisters in East Peoria have a indoor pool.

DiscerningSoul

Sisters of the immaculate conception in New Britain Ct. They did have a small outside inground pool, but I don't think they use it any more.

AlterDominicus

And the Sisters of Saint Francis of the Martyr of Saint George in Alton shared last year at the Vocations Camp that they had a pool at their Motherhouse, and they swam sometimes, but rarely during recreation.

And what is wrong with nuns swimming? And do you think anyone could survive without air conditioning in the deep humid South?
I think we have to get over the mindset that nuns/sisters walk on water. They are human beings first, and always will be. When you enter the convent you are not leaving your body behind, it is still you.
And, yes, sisters wear swimsuits. why wouldn't they?

There is nothing wrong with nuns swimming and I certainly dont think nuns walk on water. I simply thought that when you take a vow of poverty a pool might not be included in that and I have never known a convent to have a pool. If they do have a pool that is fantastic, I would certainly enjoy it! I live as far away from the humid south as you can get and I couldnt survive without a/c/ I am glad that they have air but I know of many, many convents that dont have a/c either because of the age of the convent, the cost involved or, as I have been told, the whole idea behind poverty and mortification. And yes, the idea of nuns in swim suits did seem a little shocking to me but I was only joking about the habits. I figured if they, and here I am taking about the PCPA's, sleep in a veil and are so modest in their habits and nightgowns, that a swimsuit would be too revealing??? Good for them if they do go swimming, I have just never heard of such a thing :)

Didn't mean to bite your head off, forgive me if it sounded that way. I totally agree with your thoughts on poverty, i think many of the convents today are entirely too fancy. A pool in the deep south is often a health issue, with the extensive heat they get,, it is really needed. I am shocked also at the lack of poverty in some communities, they really go overboard with the luxuries. That is why I love the Dominican Nuns in Camden, Nj, is because they live simply, and dont have alot of possessions. I fear many communities have forgotten how to do that. Several seem to be attracted many vocations, and their convents look like mansions.
I have spent alot of time with nuns, so seeing them in a swimsuit is really nothing shocking. A sister is a sister. When I went bowling with some sisters, they left their veils at home so not to draw attention to themselves.
By the way, many communities have week long vacations at the Jersey shore. Several have these big old shore homes, and it is not uncommon to see the sisters in the ocean. Maybe because I grew up seeing that, it is not strange to me

franciscanheart

I think that's just it. If you've never seen it and you understand poverty to mean something as described above, then it is a little shocking. I agree with some convents being a little too fancy and not getting to the core of living in poverty. However, not all view poverty so radically.

:idontknow:

be_thou_my_vision

The sisters of st. francis of perpetual adoration have a pool too. it is surrounded by a very high wall way on the outside of their property (no one can see them.) I think someone donated it, so they accepted it and they let the older sisters swim... they really enjoy it!

At OLAM the nuns DO walk on water, that's why they don't have a pool. It's no fun going swimming if you can't get wet.

They do have A/C though even though they don't have much of a summer (at least compared to Houston :) ) People survived in the deep humid south for centuries without A/C.

AlterDominicus

So though SMME on the other hand, they remind me of the movie on TCM, "Black Narcissus" cause if I've looked correctly SMME is like on a cliff if not a VERY, VERY High hill! lol. So a swimming pool...doesnt seem suitable, but I can imagine its cool for them on most days.