An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visited Baptist Church today

jswranch

I went to church with a protestant (I'm not protestant, I'm Christian/Baptist) buddy today, after I went to Mass. I was impressed with the multiple greeters, baby nursery, programs, warm people. The pastor had a charismatic personality and very aproachable. They had a beautiful baptism of a late teenager/early tweenties. People used their bibles. The band/choir was fun.
However...
Some of the sermon caused my ulcer to act up.

The good:
Importance for conversion/baptism
Importance of divinity/humanity of Christ
Not feeling guilty for forgiven sins.
Worship takes place in song in their services, however worship continues in our acts of love in daily work.
Ok to participate in worship (ie song in their church) dancing, sitting, prayer, eyes/open or closed etc.

The bad:
sola scriptura
Justification and salvation not by change of the person, but by cloak of jesus protecting us from judgement.
no presence in the communionin the lord's supper
[u][b]No need to repent of sins as Jesus has already taken the blame. There is no judgement as the gavel will never fall on Christians.[/b][/u]
Confession to a priest not necessary.
Old covenant is completed and no longer obsolete (heb 8:13).

I reminded my wife that we could not partake in their crackers and juice.

Anastasia13

[quote name='jswranch' post='1012097' date='Jun 25 2006, 05:51 PM'](I'm not protestant, I'm Christian/Baptist)[/quote]
I consider that to be Protestant.

indescribable

I've visited my boyfriend's church whenever they have Youth Sundays. I came out of it learning a good lesson or two, but I'm always glad I'm Catholic. They're United Methodist, and make sure to pay attention to scripture at least a little bit, but I've been to a non-denominational church (my friend asked me for months) and was appalled. It wasn't church, it was a concert. I went away feeling unaccomplished and weirded out. I don't understand how that fufills someone! But I'm a cradle Catholic, so I guess I won't ever know that.

Anastasia13

[quote name='heavenseeker' post='1012159' date='Jun 25 2006, 06:46 PM']
i think thats what his friend says
[/quote]
I don't understand what you are talking about.

homeschoolmom

some evangelicals consider themselves "not protestant." Ie, they are of the original biblical Christians that have always existed on the fringes of history. "Protestant," to these Christians, means of one of the churches that left Catholicism-- Lutheran, Anglican, Presbyterian...

Most Baptists, however, would probably classify themselves (if they had to) as Protestant.

RootbeerDumdums

Two points:

One the "Protestant" vs. "Christian," I believe many Christians don't see themselves as Protestant. A Church of Christ guy once said that the Church of Christ was there first, and Catholics "broke off" from the "Church of Christ" about 200 years after Jesus.

Second, I agree with whoever said they don't "feel it" at protestant churches. As a cradle Catholic, I go to a Lutheran friend's confirmation and sit there the whole time praising God for putting me in a Catholic church: 2000 years of rich liturgy and tradition, descended straight from Christ. Hallelujah!

MissScripture

[quote name='indescribable' post='1012162' date='Jun 25 2006, 08:48 PM']
I've visited my boyfriend's church whenever they have Youth Sundays. I came out of it learning a good lesson or two, but I'm always glad I'm Catholic. They're United Methodist, and make sure to pay attention to scripture at least a little bit, but I've been to a non-denominational church (my friend asked me for months) and was appalled. It wasn't church, it was a concert. I went away feeling unaccomplished and weirded out. I don't understand how that fufills someone! But I'm a cradle Catholic, so I guess I won't ever know that.
[/quote]
I know exactly what you mean! Last year, at school, one week, instead of the Wednesday Mass we had an ecumenical prayer service, and I had a panic attack, because I was that weirded out (and I was expecting/needing a good Mass, I'd forgotten that it would be just a prayer service). I mean, I didn't even know we'd STARTED until we were half way through, because we didn't have the usual cues I'm used to from Mass. I've been to a couple of other "worship services" and I always get a little bit of that panicked feeling. I'm glad I'm Catholic! I like our traditions! I need order and structure!

I certainly relate to what you all are saying. I am dating a Protestant as well. Worship at her particular venue often feels like a concert and the Pastor's sermon is more of a power-point presentation than anything (No joke, a huge screen is rolled down that is used for song lyrics and a power-point presentation during the sermon).

For a while I resented the environment and having to make effort to attend worship there. In trying to be accepting and accomodating of my girlfriend's relationship with her congregation I continue to attend every so often. Most days I carry a copy of one of St. Josemaria's books or my rosary with me. "Be not afriad!" right?

I thank the Lord for putting me into that environment every now and again. On one end its sanctifying to stand firm in an environment where a message looms that is often critical of Catholics and contrary to much of what we believe. On the other end, its sanctifying to recieve the Eucharist at an early morning mass and take Jesus within me to these folks who are clearly missing out on His greatest gift.

I have seen so much good come from my relationship. As a strong and informed Catholic I have been able to undermine much of the animosity that was prevalent within my girlfriend's family and even some that is prevalent at her church. Have I tried to do this? Perhaps. Truly, God has blessed my efforts and continues to workl through me.

I have learned that at times, the greatest evangelists are those who simply show up and Love. What a great opportunity to be Christ to others.

Edited by DannyBoy

[quote name='RootbeerDumdums' post='1012266' date='Jun 25 2006, 11:33 PM']
Two points:

One the "Protestant" vs. "Christian," I believe many Christians don't see themselves as Protestant. A Church of Christ guy once said that the Church of Christ was there first, and Catholics "broke off" from the "Church of Christ" about 200 years after Jesus.

Second, I agree with whoever said they don't "feel it" at protestant churches. As a cradle Catholic, I go to a Lutheran friend's confirmation and sit there the whole time praising God for putting me in a Catholic church: 2000 years of rich liturgy and tradition, descended straight from Christ. Hallelujah!
[/quote]

Forgive my ignornace but what does it mean to be a cradle Catholic?

[quote name='DannyBoy' post='1013169' date='Jun 27 2006, 02:44 PM']
Forgive my ignornace but what does it mean to be a cradle Catholic?
[/quote]
It means you've been Catholic since birth, from the cradle.

I like the avatar DannyBoy.

Craddle Catholic here, and I must admit I have no idea, nor can I imagine being part of a different church.

I went to certain services at times that are outside the church, and I I agree it is at times a very strange feeling. (weirded out; is that really a word?)

I also thank God that I am a craddle Catholic. then again, I believe that head I been born in another religion I would have, in time, become a Catholic (but that is pure speculation from my part).

In Christ I Trust

One of my close friends is Lutheran and in seminary now. I've gone to his church before and they are probably as close to Catholicism as protestants get. That being said they don't use confession and are fine with contraception. I enjoy talking to him about our respective denominations but I can never understand his justifications for the aforementioned.