An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is FUS Traditional/Charismatic or what?

MichaelF

Laudate_Dominum

FUS isn't perfect, but if schools like that didn't exist I never would have gone to college. You can't expect perfection from a human institution, but at least there are tons of people serious about Catholicism and lots of awesome stuff going on. Oh, and there are some really awesome professors. If I owned the place I would definitely do something about that scandalous chapel of theirs, but even this is not enough to drive me to a secular university. I've heard stories from friends who have gone to secular universities which make me think that it might be a sin to let your children go to these places.

as far as the spirituality of the students-there is no other way to describe it except charismatic. very. when i attended other denominational wedding ceremonies like presbyterian and baptist i found many similarities in prayer modes with Franciscan students. many "bible studies" the students run are studies of books by protestants and they dont even seem to realize this. (ie, "captivating.")

at FUS liturgy there is however a definate element of traditional music occasionally utilized which is a good thing, in my opinion. a good number of students attend the local church saint pete's which provides a more tradtional style liturgy so there is a very varying degree of preferences among the student body. agreement about the chapel, laudate.

the professors are also very balanced in their spirituality, in my experience. they mostly seem to have a good blend of early church knowledge, traditional spitrituality, and charismatic elements.

Edited by Semperviva

[quote name='jiyoung' post='1009182' date='Jun 20 2006, 12:21 PM']
I wish Steubie was so close to my house, but I live in California, land of schools like Loyola Marymount...ew. But it's cool that you're thinking FUS :D
[/quote]

oh my sister in christ, i FEEL your pain... :sadder: ilive about 10 minutes from it and thouht about their MA in theology program for about 2 seconds... until i read their program description! :rolleyes:

have you ever been to LMU? its a scary scary place of .... scariness :ninja:

/hijack

i'm doing distance with steubie so i don't know much about campus life, obviously. however, doesn't St. Paul say that we are to know CHristians by their fruits? and steubie not only has rock solidly orthodox professors BUT turns out orthodox catholics. so :idontknow: you decide!

Edited by kateri05

Since your friend is Ruthenian, he has little to worry about. There are several Ruthenian temples around. The Metropolia is in Pittsburgh.

IMO, FUS is Charismatic. It is also very contemporary in worship and lifetyle. These things aren't necessarily bad. We live with and in contemporary culture, yet our faith is ancient. As for Charismatics, imo, you can't get a way from it on campus. Many have pointed out that there is a difference between Charismatic and contemporary. Which is true, but as I said before, FUS is both.

I attend a very Charismatic Church, an Eastern Catholic Church. The Eastern Churches are not part of the Charismatic movement, but they are naturally charismatic. They draw people in. We worship the Trinity. God the Father Son and Holy Spirit are always a part of any Eastern Catholic prayer, spirituality or Worship.

It's true, you can go to St. Peter's or drive into Pittsburgh for the indult. On campus though you might find "traditionalists," FUS is what it is. Dynamic Orthodoxy (hehe).

My advice, visit the school first. I 'm have been going to FUS for over a year and I still have over a year left. I also hope to get my MA there too. I love going there and the faculty is outstanding!

Don't get caught up in all this negative talk about FUS its liturgy and all that because it is a great school. Honestly the Liturgy I prefer is the one with the Eucharist.

Edited by Oik

Mateo el Feo

Quick question: were the Gideon "green books" (mentioned above) protestant translations of the Bible?

Just curious...

Fides_et_Ratio

the Charismaticness of FUS is hard to get away from... it was one of my major reasons for transferring (in addition to super crappy dorm/living situations).

St. Peter's was okay, but it wasn't my favorite either.

It really is a subjective thing, your friend should take a college visit (at least 2 days) and just check it out to get an idea of whether or not he/she could handle the FUS dynamic.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1010985' date='Jun 23 2006, 02:04 PM']
Quick question: were the Gideon "green books" (mentioned above) protestant translations of the Bible?

Just curious...
[/quote]
Yes, but not the whole thing. It was the NT and Psalms.

Edited by Raphael

Fides_et_Ratio

oh.. to add,

All the above said... I LOVED the Philosophy department at Steubie. Dr. Healy was a bit dry sometimes, but every professor in that department is qualified and extremely knowledgeable.

And I only had beef with one theology professor who shall remain nameless as he is also a priest.

I was sad to leave the academics of FUS, but I just couldn't concentrate while I was there.

[quote name='MichaelF' post='1007856' date='Jun 18 2006, 04:19 PM']
Question for those at FUS:

I've heard that the Charismatic movement has "taken over" the spiritual life of FUS. I've also heard that it is not present in any major way.

In what way is this accurate, and what does everyone -mean- by "Charismatic"? It seems to be a catchall term for everything from LifeTeen to Glossolalia...

One of my old teammates is set to attend this Fall, and he does not care for the Charismatic style of worship (he's Ruthenian).

Thanks
[/quote]
As a Byzantine Christian I avoided the various liturgical and paraliturgical celebrations on campus, mainly because I was turned off by the charismatic elements that were present in them, but also because I am not a member of the Roman Rite. Now since your friend is a Ruthenian (Byzantine) Catholic he should attend the divine liturgy at one of the local Byzantine Churches, because that is the "traditional" liturgy for him, and not the Mass of the Roman Rite (whether pre or post Vatican II).

crystalblujay

just out of curiosity... when you talked about the "scandelous chapel", are you talking about the Port? and if so, how is it so scandelous... i guess i dont understand...

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='crystalblujay' post='1013179' date='Jun 27 2006, 01:53 PM']
just out of curiosity... when you talked about the "scandelous chapel", are you talking about the Port? and if so, how is it so scandelous... i guess i dont understand...
[/quote]
I'm sure that was a reference to Christ the King Chapel.

[quote name='ironman' post='1012756' date='Jun 26 2006, 09:53 PM']
Charasmatic is not a movement......it's been in the Church since the beginning...AKA "Pentecost"
[/quote]
I don't think that's accurate...otherwise, there wouldn't be all this talk among the movement about a "second pentecost." It simply would have been the same from the beginning. It may be associated with Pentecost, but to say that it's what Pentecost was all about is incorrect...if that were the case, every member of the faithful would have charismatic gifts.

Edited by Raphael

crystalblujay

[quote name='Raphael' post='1013189' date='Jun 27 2006, 12:09 PM']
I'm sure that was a reference to Christ the King Chapel.
[/quote]
ok... so how is Christ the King Chapel scandalous then?

I'm still a little incredulous about the idea that Steubenville is not known for its orthodoxy. Oh well.

Granted I've only spent all of 48 hours on a Steubie campus for a retreat, but it was about the strongest shot of orthodoxy I've ever been blessed to receive. Maybe it was a tie. And I've been in a pro-life group, a few Adoration parishes, a Rosary group, a few retreats including Mount 2000 and Beyond, prayer meetings, First Friday all-night vigils, theatre ministry, etc...Steubenville is about as hardcore as orthodoxy gets.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1013189' date='Jun 27 2006, 12:09 PM']
I don't think that's accurate...otherwise, there wouldn't be all this talk among the movement about a "second pentecost." It simply would have been the same from the beginning. It may be associated with Pentecost, but to say that it's what Pentecost was all about is incorrect...if that were the case, every member of the faithful would have charismatic gifts.
[/quote]

Charismatic element has been there since Pentecost. This 'second Pentecost' must be understood as renewal. Renewal of what is already there. Every Catholic is given charisms. You may have the gift of prophecy and not even know it.

As for the post title, I truly believe one can be both traditional and charismatic at the same time. Read the poems of St. Ephrem or the writings of St. Francis.

The Church is Hierarchical and Charismatic.