An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hope to stop use of 'liberal' and 'conservative'

jswranch

If you could not use 'liberal' or 'conservative' to describe beliefs/actions of Catholics compared to Magisterium teachings, would you choose...  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Someone is either obedient or disobedient to church teachings. There is no liberal or conservative view of this authority. Someone can be given over to dissent through Secularism, Humanism, Indifference, or Relativism or their own private interpretation... etc. How about faithful or unfaithful instead of lib or conserv? I would also accept cafeteria catholic, even for Society of St. Peter (i only know a little about them) or sedevacantis. I suppose Traditionalism, Feenyism are also terms (not sure if SSPXism or anti-VII or anti-ecuminicsm are words), but you all can come up with better terms than I. Isn't a refusal to receive communion in the hand a level of tolerated disobedience in the USA? If one tosses out one teaching, they are picking and choosing.

I just do not like "liberal' or 'conservative,' especially when there is a third option of following what the church teaches.

Edited by jswranch

"the society of st. peter"... if by that you mean the FSSP, they are in full union with the Church.

I believe you're lookin for the SSPX, society of st. pius x

thessalonian

Right, left, and Catholic (which is not neccessarily center)

Prov.4
[27] Do not swerve to the right or to the left;
turn your foot away from evil.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote name='Nathan' post='1009908' date='Jun 21 2006, 03:20 PM']
Orthodox and heterodox are popular around these parts.
[/quote]

That's my vote.

I suppose the problem with all of these terms is the same reason we find them more appropriate.

The terms liberal and conservative by themselves carry no judgement. Of course, depending on who you talk to one is good and the other bad, but it's subjective.

With faithful and unfaithful, or orthodox and heterodox there is a judgement that one is right and the other is wrong. This is why they are really more appropriate terms, but also why it's very hard for them to come into widespread use. Heterodox Catholics certainly don't want to be called such, but they generally see "liberal" as a positive term.

So, while we would certainly strive to use more objective terms ourselves, I don't think the subjective ones will disappear any time soon.

Laudate_Dominum

I often constrast the orthodox with the heterodox. I've found that I can call someone heterodox to their face and they don't seem bothered, whereas calling them a heretic usually brings out some hostility. :)

Myles Domini

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1010258' date='Jun 22 2006, 06:39 AM']
I often constrast the orthodox with the heterodox. I've found that I can call someone heterodox to their face and they don't seem bothered, whereas calling them a heretic usually brings out some hostility. :)
[/quote]

:lol_sign:

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1009863' date='Jun 21 2006, 12:04 PM']
"the society of st. peter"... if by that you mean the FSSP, they are in full union with the Church.

I believe you're lookin for the SSPX, society of st. pius x
[/quote]
I meant FSSP. Correct any of my errancy, but they, while in full communion, detract and disagree with the magisterium on some VII and post-VII issues.

Shame on me for speaking this without doing more research. I thought they (FSSP) are founded by SSPX reverts who belive Lefebvre had a valid argument, but was errant in splitting from Rome.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1010258' date='Jun 21 2006, 11:39 PM']
[/quote]
orthodox and heterodox are good. However, in the spoken word confusion occurs between, "He is orthodox," and, "He is Orthodox." "He is a faithful Catholic," is much more clear.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1010315' date='Jun 22 2006, 07:06 AM']
the FSSP was erected by pontifical right by Pope John Paul II
[/quote]
Yes, I have heard this before.

I withdraw my comments categorizing FSSP as quasi-dissident as I have no solid arguments to support such claim. Apologies for any offended. Thank you for the correction.

Edited by jswranch

Domine ut Videam

[quote name='Nathan' post='1009908' date='Jun 21 2006, 02:20 PM']
Orthodox and heterodox are popular around these parts.
[/quote]

that's my vote........

I like those as well. However some folks may not like to use the phrase "you've been blinded by the mindless heterodox media"

It doesn't quite have the same ring to it..

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1010348' date='Jun 22 2006, 10:43 AM']
I like those as well. However some folks may not like to use the phrase "you've been blinded by the mindless heterodox media"
It doesn't quite have the same ring to it..
[/quote]
I dunno. I might just have to adopt that.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='jswranch' post='1010318' date='Jun 22 2006, 07:19 AM']
orthodox and heterodox are good. However, in the spoken word confusion occurs between, "He is orthodox," and, "He is Orthodox." "He is a faithful Catholic," is much more clear.
[/quote]
yeah, I've had that happen a few times, but I kind of like it. If I fear what I'm trying to express might be a bit ambiguous I might qualify it and say they are an "orthodox catholic". It kind of has a ring to it.