An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carthusian Chant

awyers

Does someone know where I can buy a recording of Carthusian monks chanting? It would be nice to get it directly from the source to help support the community.

Allison

puellapaschalis

You can buy cds of the Carthusians at Parkminster [url="http://www.parkminster.org.uk/order/shop/"]here[/url]. If purchasing a cd from the UK is problematic then there's a Charterhouse in the [url="http://www.chartreux.org/maisons/Transfiguration/Transfiguration.htm"]USA[/url]. It doesn't look as though they have a website, but in that case you could write to them and enquire after any recordings they have made.

I hope that this helps a little.

Love and prayers,

PP

puellapaschalis

I believe it's much simpler, even than the chants in the antiphonale and graduale of the Solesmes reform of the last century. This is particularly to be noted in antiphons and responses which in the "standard" books can be quite elaborate.

Love and prayers,

PP

Awww...simple chant. I just love simple chant. I sing in the schola at my church and our chant is sometimes not simple. :)

Here's an example...

[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/materdei/of_benedictus_sit.gif[/img]

This was last Sunday's offertory. Man, it was difficult for us amateurs.

Edited by OLAM Dad

Wow dad I am impressed! I dont really know much about chant........I feel like i am in the infancy of my faith journey sometimes when surrounded by all of you amazing pm'ers! Which brings me to a whole new topic...where the heck do ya'll learn this stuff??? Is it because you are in the USA and it is taught in schools or church?? I went to a "Catholic" school where I was taught religion by non christians and had to dodge bullets! And we never had any education component at church outside of RCIA :( It really makes me sad to think of all that I have missed out on and amazes me even more that I have made it this far and that God is still calling me to the religious life haha!

Anyhoo, back to my post, sorry about that!!!
I have a few recordings of Gregorian chant done by Benedictines I believe but I recently came along the Carthusian site that PP mentioned and looooooooooooooved the music on their home page so I thought I would inquire about a recording. If someone wants to give me a synopsis on the in's and out's of chant I would be very interested!

Allison

puellapaschalis

Allison,

not all of us are in the US! :P: I learnt most of what I know by hanging out at a Benedictine monastery a lot when I was a teenager. I know there are Summer Schools and whatnot where you can study Gregorian chant, but really the best way is to [i]sing[/i] it.

OLAM Dad - I've got a graduale here. If it wouldn't startle the people I live with so much I'd be singing it all the way through Vespers! :D:

Love and prayers,

PP

m2thebizzax

I haven't heard Carthusian Monks Chant, but I do love listening to the Benedictine Monks Chant. I love going to Vespers and Lauds. It's so beautiful. I spend a lot of time at the Saint Louis Abbey. It's absolutely beautiful.

Sincerely, Mary Bax

Edited by m2thebizzax

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1005853' date='Jun 14 2006, 08:54 PM']
Wow dad I am impressed! I dont really know much about chant........I feel like i am in the infancy of my faith journey sometimes when surrounded by all of you amazing pm'ers! Which brings me to a whole new topic...where the heck do ya'll learn this stuff??? Is it because you are in the USA and it is taught in schools or church?? I went to a "Catholic" school where I was taught religion by non christians and had to dodge bullets! And we never had any education component at church outside of RCIA :( It really makes me sad to think of all that I have missed out on and amazes me even more that I have made it this far and that God is still calling me to the religious life haha!

Anyhoo, back to my post, sorry about that!!!
I have a few recordings of Gregorian chant done by Benedictines I believe but I recently came along the Carthusian site that PP mentioned and looooooooooooooved the music on their home page so I thought I would inquire about a recording. If someone wants to give me a synopsis on the in's and out's of chant I would be very interested!

Allison
[/quote]

Allison, I feel the same way that you do hanging around these PMers. PP is right, you've really got to sing it to really learn it. I attend a Tridentine Mass on Sundays and am in the schola. We aren't recording quality good but we manage to get through most pieces unscathed. Sr. Lauren and Kristina are/were also in the choir with me.