An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Unknown

wannabesomething

wannabesomething

Is anyone else struggling with the aspect of college and the religious life? If so, how are you dealing with it? Any thoughts?

Carolyn

be_thou_my_vision

Yes, I did struggle, but since my parents were paying for my education I decided that I had nothing to lose if I went. So I did and I love it. I would not change it.

God Bless you.

wannabesomething

What I have found to most important is to always stay connected with the religious community that is so important to you. You can complete college, but be smart. Know your weaknesses! If it is hard for you to be away from the sisters, schedule meeting times with them. What I love the best is setting up individual retreat days with my community vocation directress. It gives you a little personal time with them, and with God.

Does anyone else have any thoughts?

God Love You

Great point Carolyn. I'm too far away to visit regularly so I keep in contact with the VD and I have a great SD. God has put some wonderful people in my life to help me through and I've been extremely blessed. Plus, during the actual semester, I'm so busy that I don't have enough time to do much else but school and prayer!

brandelynmarie

Welcome Carolyn! (my smilies aren't working!) You will find a wide range of discerners here...Some are in HS or college & there are some like me who are older & are attempting to pay off loans in order to enter religious life....This is a really neat place... :)

Okay...it will let me manually create a :) :rolleyes:

Edited by brandelynmarie

wannabesomething

The diversity here is a very beautiful thing! Are you paying off your loans because you choose to, or because it is required before you enter?

I was just curious.

God Love You,

Carolyn

wannabesomething

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1006740' date='Jun 16 2006, 05:55 AM']
Cannon law requires that one be free of debts before entering a community...
[/quote]

That is very true. But some religious orders (Sister Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary) will pay the loans that you can enter when you are ready. It could years and years to pay off those loans! That is why I was asking.

God Love You,
Carolyn

brandelynmarie

Yes, it is required before I enter & for most others too...One community that I looked into will not let me further discern with them until I am debt-free...Right now I am discerning with Dominicans who will let me discern while I try to get rid of my loans...So far so good! I did not know that about SsIHM...I do know that the Handmaids of Nazareth will let you be in debt & work it off during your noviate...They live & work independently & do their noviate independently too, from what I hear... :blush:

• 3 years later...
Amor vincit omnia

...i was going through old post and came across this one...and I just wanted to let everyone know that Carolyn indeed entered the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary sisters and is doing wonderful! She is almost done her Canonical year as a novice!:yahoo: I am hoping to see her very soon! I pray for her and for all the young women in formation with the IHMs! & continue to pray for more vocations to this beautiful community! :bigpray:

[size="1"]IHM's equal[/size]:love:

Edited by Amor vincit omnia

[quote name='Amor vincit omnia' date='15 June 2010 - 01:11 AM' timestamp='1276578667' post='2129160']
...i was going through old post and came across this one...and I just wanted to let everyone know that Carolyn indeed entered the Sisters Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary sisters and is doing wonderful! She is almost done her Canonical year as a novice!:yahoo: I am hoping to see her very soon! I pray for her and for all the young women in formation with the IHMs! & continue to pray for more vocations to this beautiful community! :bigpray:

[size="1"]IHM's equal[/size]:love:
[/quote]

Thank you for updating Sr. Carolyn's status! I'm sure there are still PM'ers here lurking about when she was on VS.