An Old School Catholic Message Board

Name A Nun

franciscanheart

franciscanheart

[url="http://monialesop.blogspot.com/2006/06/why-is-this-postulant-smiling.html"]Check this out[/url] :thumbsup:

[size=1]note: i have linked you to an individual post that does not show the comments link. you need to click on the banner to go to the main page and scroll down until you see that post again. if the post is not on the page you can look in the archives for june 2006.[/size]

This could get very interesting!!! :bigthink: Now what did I do with my old baby names books?

Edited by stlmom

passionheart

This could be alot fun. I know Sr. Mary Catherine has had Sr.Greta pray for me for a number of intentions.

I have my name picked out already!!!

How does this work in other communities? I always thought that you were given a name not that you picked it yourself or that you could choose to keep your birth name???

Allison

passionheart

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1001824' date='Jun 9 2006, 11:54 PM']
How does this work in other communities? I always thought that you were given a name not that you picked it yourself or that you could choose to keep your birth name???

Allison
[/quote]

You are right that different communities have different ways of choosing your religious name. One Dominican community I know allows the postulant to choose three names and give them to Mother. The person finds out her name on the day she receives the Habit.

When my friend was with the Missionaries of Charity, she was asked what her mom's name was. Her religious name was an version of her mom's name.

When I was doing my Aspirancy at the Dominican Monastery in Buffalo, I told Sr. Rose of St. Mary I had my name picked already. I was told to work on virtue!! I said no, choosing a name is more fun!! :D:

Allison,

At OLAM the postulant is allow to make suggestions on what name she desires but the choice is Mothers in the end. The title is usually given by mother without any assistance.

About two years ago mother told Mother Vicar that she had chosen the name Soubirous for a girl about to be invested. Soubirous is St. Bernadette's last name. MV vicar really didn't like the name, fearing it sounded too much like a car. :) She told Mother and mother actually asked the postulant whether she was OK with the name the day before the investment.

So...as you can see, at least at OLAM, there is some give and take on the name. I don't believe that keeping one's birth name is an option, but I could be wrong. For example, I have a daughter named Margaret Mary. I wonder whether she would be allowed to keep her name since it is already so nunnish sounding. :)

Many different ways of doing this:

1. Have your name given by the Mother Superior after much prayer (Norbertine Canonesses)

2. Submit three names and find out on the day of vestition (Nashville Dominicans)

3. Submit three names and have Mother give you something entirely different (Disc. of Our Lord Jesus Christ)

4. Add a religious name to your given name (Visitation).

5. There might be a combination of the above with some communities.

HTH.

Blessings,
Gemma

That is too funny! Did this particular sister keep that name? I dont think I would want to say no to mother right from the get go but man, Soubirous is quite the name! Why not Bernadette lol. I am looking forward to the new name not that I dont enjoy Allison :) I always thought that if the new name came from mother after praying about it like Gemma mentioned (thank you for that explaination!!!), it would be very special, like having another patron saint to guard you on your journey!

Just over a month until my visit!!!!!!!!!!! :topsy:

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1002271' date='Jun 10 2006, 05:33 AM']
Allison,

At OLAM the postulant is allow to make suggestions on what name she desires but the choice is Mothers in the end. The title is usually given by mother without any assistance.

About two years ago mother told Mother Vicar that she had chosen the name Soubirous for a girl about to be invested. Soubirous is St. Bernadette's last name. MV vicar really didn't like the name, fearing it sounded too much like a car. :) She told Mother and mother actually asked the postulant whether she was OK with the name the day before the investment.

So...as you can see, at least at OLAM, there is some give and take on the name. I don't believe that keeping one's birth name is an option, but I could be wrong. For example, I have a daughter named Margaret Mary. I wonder whether she would be allowed to keep her name since it is already so nunnish sounding. :)
[/quote]

passionheart

[quote name='Piobaire' post='1002758' date='Jun 10 2006, 09:27 PM']
That is too funny! Did this particular sister keep that name? I dont think I would want to say no to mother right from the get go but man, Soubirous is quite the name! Why not Bernadette lol. I am looking forward to the new name not that I dont enjoy Allison :) I always thought that if the new name came from mother after praying about it like Gemma mentioned (thank you for that explaination!!!), it would be very special, like having another patron saint to guard you on your journey!

Just over a month until my visit!!!!!!!!!!! :topsy:
[/quote]

My friend was Sr. Allison in the Missionaries of Charity!!

The Missionaries of Charity don't always go on the parents names. Most of the ones in St. Louis have had Saint names or very holy names (like Sister M. Anima Christi).

I believe the FSGM Sisters submit names to their Mother, and she picks, but from what I have heard she usually picks one of those names. My friend, Alyssa, already knows what her new name will be when she receives it on August 15.