An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedictine break?

she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

Hello all,
I might have an opportunity to do a volunteer sabbatical at a Benedictine monastery!!!!! I am so excited. I love the South but my little non-Catholic city leaves me with little opportunity to engage in corporate prayer. This might be just what I need right now, as I have been having a difficult time. So prayers, please and I'll keep y'all updated. I'm calling Mother tomorrow morning.
Amanda
P.S. When the Sisters called me I was in (get this) the liquor store with my friend buying vodka. When I left my friend asked who called me on the phone and I said, "Um, some Benedictine Nuns" and she said in all astonishment, "Nuns call people in liquor stores?"

Edited by she_who_is_not

she_who_is_not

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='996571' date='Jun 4 2006, 01:34 PM']
Fantastic! :yahoo: I hope you gain much from it :sign:

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

Thanks Puella! I hope I do too! I also have enjoyed your Benedictines Strike Back thread but I don't have many opportunities to post. Blessings to you.
Amanda

puellapaschalis

You're welcome :) I'm glad to hear that my ramblings are useful to some people. Don't hesitate to ask questions or chip in if you'd like to. Benedictinism is something to be shared!

Love and prayers,

PP

she_who_is_not

Hello everyone,
I just spoke to Mother Mary Anne and it is very likely that I will be spending 1-3 months volunteering at St. Emma's Monastery in Greensburg, PA! I will get to pray the Divine Office 6 times a day and help the sisters. Wow, I am so excited. She is so nice! I would go in September, try it out for a month and we would decide about the next two months. Also, some of you know of the struggles I have had to enter the Church: She is putting me in contact with a good, holy, priest so I can further prepare. Hurrah. God is so great. He is putting everything into place for me.
Peace,
Amanda

Amanda,
I am delighted that you will spend some time with the Greensburg Benedictines. I am originally from western PA and on previous posts I have sometimes referred to them as being from Latrobe, PA, but I guess I have mixed up their location with St. Vincent's Archabbey, the Benedictine fellows nearby. Others have posted about them recently and it's all been good. They have great community support for their retreat house. Western PA with the Allegheny Mountains is a beautiful place to be!

God bless!

Amanda, It sounds like a wonderful time to explore this community and spend alot of time in prayer. I really hope it works out for you so you can do this!

puellapaschalis

Amanda,

excellent news! :yahoo: Be assured of prayers that September works out and that, God willing, you'll stay for October and November too. Sharing in the life of a monastery is pretty special and I'm sure that you'll gain so much from it that will help you on your journey. Keep us updated if you can.

Love and prayers,

PP

daugher-of-Mary

Oh my goodness! St. Emma's is about 20 minutes away from me. The nuns are just great, and you'll definitely be in a good place for prayer, reflection, and hard work...ora et labora! If you get a chance, make sure to visit the other Benedictines (they run this part of PA! :D: ) in Latrobe at St. Vincent Archabbey. The Basilica is beautiful, and the monks are wonderful.