An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mercy Sisters Website

stlmom

be_thou_my_vision

I read that book twice and it is amazing. The RSM split for the Sisters of Mercy when they started modernizing a whole lot. They wanted to keep the habit and more traditions... so ta dah! The RELIGIOUS Sisters of Mercy.
God Loves You!

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='997275' date='Jun 5 2006, 09:38 AM']
For anyone interested in learning more about the Sisters of Mercy, I reccomend John Fialka's book [i]Sisters[/i]. He explores the history of the RSM in the US and discusses the changes that occurred in the 60's and 70's. I have a real love for them. Their foundress, Catherine McCauley is amazing and very inspirational. We have a Sisters of Mercy hospital here and they took such good care of my Mom when she had surgery. (There are only about 7-10 sisters and they are all very old and some do wear a modified habit and veil). I read Catherine McCauley's biography in the waiting room.
[/quote]
I second the recommendation of Mr. Fialka's book. I read it a few years ago and have presently lent my copy to my (non-Catholic) dad, who has worked in Mercy hospitals for almost his entire professional career (he's an administrator).

Additionally, I was studying in Ireland for a year, and one day decided I'd take the bus into Dublin. And when I was walking next to the quay (pron: KEY), I decided to stop into the church/chapel looking place. And behold, what I literally stumbled across but the house where Vb. Catherine McCauley founded her community.

:)

Also, do keep in mind that the Religious Sisters of Mercy (such as those in Alma) have the initials RSM after their name, as do the Sisters of Mercy (as in Of the Americas).

When I was in grammer school we had Mercy sisters from Plainfield New Jersey. I grew up leaning about Mother Catherine McCauley and always had alot of devotion to her. I kind of 'forgot' her, so thanks for the reminder!!!