An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sola Fide?

Didacus

I've thought long about sola fide, not for purpose of knowledge or debate, but within the context of an internal search of my own beliefs. Yesterday, I think I reached a conclusion (not very good with technical explanations, so I tried a different approach - somewhat a poetic one):

What is this man, who has faith, and sees the Lord, believes the Lord, knows the Lord and who believes himself saved? Who is this man who sits in his driveway and does nothing more than wait death and thus his salvation for he believes the Lord will call him? Who is this man that would care not for his brother and pay him no visit because faith alone is enough for his eternal peace?

Who would dare say to the Lord, 'I did nothing, but I have believed and kept my faith in you' and expect the heavens to open? Who is the one who would smile endlessly in content for faith alone fulfills him?

Who would dare count his own deeds, tabulate them, and then submit them to any authority as proof that he is just? would not this authority, any authority, be foolish to accept it so?

What reply can give a person if the Lord, with His divine judgement pending, asks "That which you have done, was done from fear, but have you ever had faith? When have you ever been just?".

But if this man, who has faith, and engages in the law and good works according to the Lord's will, when judgement find him will not the Lord says to him "You have searched me, and I have granted you faith. You received my gift of faith nad from it spread my name nad good will to the world. You are a good faithful servant, for you not only kept your faith, but you set it to good work." Will not the Lord then open the doors of heaven for this man?

It comes then, that both faith, and good deeds, are together as constituants of salvation, and like faith, this salvation is owned and given by the Lord.

infinitelord1

i think under the idea of sola fide anyone can live anyway they want and they think they can get into heaven as long as they have faith. As far as sola scriptura goes..........the truth is very subjective to protestants they all have differences in beliefs since they interpret scripture differently. oh well, why do i even bother..........i think it would be hard to convert most protestants to catholicism because a lot of them were raised to have a bad perception of the catholics. Funny thing is they dont have good reason. You hear the same carp everytime....."catholics idolize mary"........"catholics think they have to talk to a priest to be forgiven". Its funny how they misinterpret things without even knowing anything about it.

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:47 PM']i think under the idea of sola fide anyone can live anyway they want and they think they can get into heaven as long as they have faith. As far as sola scriptura goes..........the truth is very subjective to protestants they all have differences in beliefs since they interpret scripture differently. oh well, why do i even bother..........i think it would be hard to convert most protestants to catholicism because a lot of them were raised to have a bad perception of the catholics. Funny thing is they dont have good reason. You hear the same carp everytime....."catholics idolize mary"........"catholics think they have to talk to a priest to be forgiven". Its funny how they misinterpret things without even knowing anything about it.
[right][snapback]652809[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

you're kinda new at this aren't you? :)

Brother Adam

I wonder what would happen to mulls if he read the fathers of the early Christian church? :cool:

infinitelord1

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:35 PM']you're kinda new at this aren't you?  :)
[right][snapback]652909[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
what makes you think that?

statements like this:

[quote name='infinitelord1' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:47 PM']i think under the idea of sola fide anyone can live anyway they want and they think they can get into heaven as long as they have faith.
[/quote]

come on now.

Didacus,

I liked your last post.

But which comes first....faith or works?

Is it really up to us to "search God" (paraphrase from your post) for Him to grant us faith, or is it based on His grace alone? What's first?

Honest questions.

infinitelord1

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 21 2005, 04:32 PM']statements like this:
come on now.
[right][snapback]653133[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
i dont think the people really think this.......i just think that is what sola fide says.

Brother Adam

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 21 2005, 05:35 PM']

[right][snapback]653143[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Grace of course!

Brother Adam

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 21 2005, 04:02 PM']he would probably compare them to the writings of the apostles of the early Christian church.
[right][snapback]652953[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

All of the writings or the writings that the early fathers of the Church canonized into the Bible you hold today and believe is complete, inerrant, and infallible by cause of Apostolic Tradition?

Sola Fide? Please. Even the Devil believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

For the life of me I cannot understand how a Christian, barring perhaps mental retardation, could possibly believe in faith-alone salvation. Really, what is faith worth without obedience?

Edited by Nathan

[quote name='mulls' date='Jul 21 2005, 04:35 PM']Didacus,

I liked your last post.

Is it really up to us to "search God" (paraphrase from your post) for Him to grant us faith, or is it based on His grace alone? What's first?

Honest questions.
[right][snapback]653143[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Waht have you that hath not been given to youha

Grace?
Life?
The longing for laughter and the pinch of tears?
Faith?
Love?

All these have been given, and nothing you hvae given yourself. From the very moment the breath of God calls your name at that one very moment of conception, He knows you, takes you as His own, and gives you all those things and more.

Waht have you that hath not been given to you? - nothing.

Thus, faith has come first, the deeds to follow.

How do you see the mechanicas of Sola Fide? What are the things that fall into salvation in your opinion?

For myself, fatih alone cannot be enough inmy view. Did not Lucifer have faith? Yet he was the first to fall to damnation. Faith alone, cannot save a soul.