An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you believe that Quebec should succede?

Resurrexi

Do you believe that Quebec should succede from the rest of Canada?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

God Conquers

Sweet! Welcome home.

There have been a few in history. Recently I've seen Sacred Music Man, Jesus_lol, Nihil Obstat and Didicus. CatherineM lives in Canada, but she isn't Canadian, eh?

I haven't seen the other canucks in a while.

[quote name='God Conquers' date='23 April 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1272069352' post='2098887']
Sweet! Welcome home.

There have been a few in history. Recently I've seen Sacred Music Man, Jesus_lol, Nihil Obstat and Didicus. CatherineM lives in Canada, but she isn't Canadian, eh?

I haven't seen the other canucks in a while.
[/quote]

Thanks! We should start our our own group of PhatCans, or what? :) I know very little about the Church in Canada. When I was there in the eighties it seemed very liberal. Now I'm amazed to hear you have the TLM.

S.

Edited by Skinzo

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Skinzo' date='23 April 2010 - 08:09 PM' timestamp='1272071369' post='2098905']
Thanks! We should start our our own group of PhatCans, or what? :) I know very little about the Church in Canada. When I was there in the eighties it seemed very liberal. Now I'm amazed to hear you have the TLM.

S.
[/quote]
I'm not even sure what the climate of the Church is like in Canada... :P It's been a lot of years since the Winnipeg Statement; I like to believe that we've grown a lot since then.

As far as I can tell, there are very few glaring differences between the Church here and the Church in the US. We have fewer Holy Days of Obligation that we're held to... FSSP has got a good foothold, the Anglican-Catholic Church in Canada is officially crossing over... and I'm sure we've got some good seminarians on the way up too. :) I'm hopeful enough, overall. As much as I would be if I were American.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 April 2010 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1272072136' post='2098914']
I'm not even sure what the climate of the Church is like in Canada... :P It's been a lot of years since the Winnipeg Statement; I like to believe that we've grown a lot since then.

As far as I can tell, there are very few glaring differences between the Church here and the Church in the US. We have fewer Holy Days of Obligation that we're held to... FSSP has got a good foothold, the Anglican-Catholic Church in Canada is officially crossing over... and I'm sure we've got some good seminarians on the way up too. :) I'm hopeful enough, overall. As much as I would be if I were American.
[/quote]

Hi Nihil,
That's interesting and good to know. We're losing holy days too like Ascension Thursday is always on a Sunday. I'm sure there is no FSSP near me, but we have about 7 parishes with TLM here in D.C.

S.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Skinzo' date='23 April 2010 - 08:41 PM' timestamp='1272073275' post='2098930']
Hi Nihil,
That's interesting and good to know. We're losing holy days too like Ascension Thursday is always on a Sunday. I'm sure there is no FSSP near me, but we have about 7 parishes with TLM here in D.C.

S.
[/quote]
Currently in Canada only the Solemnity of Mary and Christmas are considered binding days of obligation. :wacko:

JMJ
There are quite a few Canadian FSSP priests and seminarians. I try not to hold that against them, though....it ain't their fault.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='23 April 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1272075738' post='2098947']
JMJ
There are quite a few Canadian FSSP priests and seminarians. I try not to hold that against them, though....it ain't their fault.
[/quote]
:annoyed:

God Conquers

[quote name='Tridenteen' date='23 April 2010 - 10:22 PM' timestamp='1272075738' post='2098947']
JMJ
[/quote]

Better not! They are awesome.

A friend of mine is headed to the Sem this fall. Going to be an unreal priest.

Nihil, you probably know him... he's from Calgary and goes to the FSSP parish there.

The old Parish Priest from St. Clement's here in Ottawa was Canadian... he was super great. Now none of them are actually Canadian haha.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 April 2010 - 03:44 PM' timestamp='1272073455' post='2098933']
Currently in Canada only the Solemnity of Mary and Christmas are considered binding days of obligation. :wacko:
[/quote]

Too weird! I can't imagine that. I thought everybody would have to hold on to Dec. 8. I just noticed that it was
Pope St. Pius X who reduced the original number of holydays from 36 to 8!

S.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='God Conquers' date='24 April 2010 - 01:34 AM' timestamp='1272090882' post='2099100']
Better not! They are awesome.

A friend of mine is headed to the Sem this fall. Going to be an unreal priest.

Nihil, you probably know him... he's from Calgary and goes to the FSSP parish there.

The old Parish Priest from St. Clement's here in Ottawa was Canadian... he was super great. Now none of them are actually Canadian haha.
[/quote]
Actually it's more likely that I don't know him personally. The FSSP parish is a long way from my house, so I only get to go once in a while. :(
I might recognize him though. :)

I like the talks of dialect. It's interesting to me. I was told that Quebec French is reminiscent of 18th century French, with a little Anglicisation with some words, but on the other hand, some attempts to keep the Francophone community "pure". I lawl'd when I read that post 3 years after I made my last one here, which concerned the hidden "g" after "n". There are lots of little quirks among the English dialects/accents, such as certain areas of Britain adding "r"s after vowels :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Hilde' date='08 May 2010 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1273341777' post='2106988']
I want them to have success,yes.
[/quote]
Yes, who could be opposed to success. :)