An Old School Catholic Message Board

When parents go nuts

zwergel88

Okay, so my mom found out that I had contacted a group of Benedictine nuns about going on a retreat, just a retreat mind you, and she flipped out. Seriously her reaction wouldn't have been worse if she had found marijuana in my sock drawer. She keeps telling me that we have to "talk" which is what she usually says when she's going to punish me.

This is weird.

Can anyone tell me from experience how to handle something like this? I love my mom, but this situation frustrates not to mention confuses me.

Birgitta Noel
:idontknow: I never discerned seriously so I'm not sure what to tell you. In general though perhaps you can get her to sit down and chat about why she seems so upset about you going on retreat?

Maybe she's just shocked, or maybe there's some underlying concern that is causing her to react this way. I know my Mom often will do and say weird things (about various issues) and eventually it comes out that it's something legit or whatnot, but because of the way she's been acting I'm going nuts thinking she's unreasonable. LOL, I'm 30 and it STILL happens!

keep us posted!

magnificat

I'm sorry about your mom's reaction. I didn't tell my parents anything until I'd already discerned a vocation to the religious life and after I'd been on one retreat and was getting ready to go on another. (I'm away at school so it's a little easier not to tell...) They definately flipped out and actually are still, just a little less vigourously...

My advice would be to pray for your mom and ask God to give her whatever grace she needs. Also, depending on how far you are along the discernment process, you may want to share that with her, slowly. Just give her a little time to get over the shock and then sit down somewhere privately and ask her to express her concerns/fears/worries, etc. And then be as open as you think is appropriate with your discernment etc.

Another thing that helped me a lot was I had a priest from home who knew I was discerning and I'd kept in touch with after leaving for school. After things hit the roof with my parents, I suggested that they talk to him since they knew him well. He was able to offer them a different "adult" perspective and help calm things down some. And if you haven't yet, I'd suggest talking to a priest or religious about it, since chances are, they've gone through something similar and can give you more personal advice.

Hope that helps. Peace & prayers.

puellapaschalis

Pray before you do anything. But don't avoid talking with her about this - they're a big part of your life and you're a huge part of theirs, so - when you feel the time is right - let the Spirit help you to try and explain.

From what I gather talking to people, it's rare that parents will have an overwhelmingly positive reaction to the idea that their child is considering the consecrated life. It's most likely far out of their sphere of experience, so be patient with both them and yourself. Most importantly, let everything you do and say be infused with prayer! Offer, if you can, a decade of the Rosary each day for your parents, that they will support you in your search for God's will for your life.

Know that we're all praying for you here too :sign:

Love and prayers,

PP

Edited by puellapaschalis

Sit down and speak with her CALMLY. She only wants what is best for you in your life. It is hard for some parents to consider religious life for one of their kids. She probably thinks you are too young. Tell her you are exploring and want to learn more about religious life. And also that you are interested in learning more about your religion. Be gentle with her too. Above all be honest, don't hide the truth, that is not a good thing to do. If she punishes you, or says you can't go,, well then you must accept it. Offer it to Jesus. You will not be young always and have your whole life ahead of you. The Lord speaks through our parents, and if you will be a sister, He speaks through your superiors.
Prayers!

Guest phatdaddy

[quote name='alicemary' post='994425' date='Jun 1 2006, 09:05 AM']
Sit down and speak with her CALMLY. She only wants what is best for you in your life. It is hard for some parents to consider religious life for one of their kids. She probably thinks you are too young. Tell her you are exploring and want to learn more about religious life. And also that you are interested in learning more about your religion. Be gentle with her too. Above all be honest, don't hide the truth, that is not a good thing to do. If she punishes you, or says you can't go,, well then you must accept it. Offer it to Jesus. You will not be young always and have your whole life ahead of you. The Lord speaks through our parents, and if you will be a sister, He speaks through your superiors.
Prayers!
[/quote]

I agree with the advice of Alicemary. As a parent of young children one of which is to become a novice in August, and a 13 year old that appears to be called by God to consecrated life by what I can tell, I can tell you it's not easy for parents. Please be patient with them. Give this cause to Jesus afterall He is the one asking for your hand.

Everything depends on how old you are. If you are under 18 then follow the direction of your parents. Be obedient to them as you would to a Superior and accept the cross. Continue to pray, frequent the sacraments and practice piety. Mostly just love them. Love is what it is all about. They will see the desires of your heart and because they mostly want your happiness, they will come around. If they oppose you making a retreat then accept it. Make your own private retreat with Jesus, He will love that.

If you are over 18 then you are a little more independent to pursue God's call. Follow the desires of your heart. If it means taking a course of action that they do not approve of, then be as gentle and as kind as you can and tell them what they mean to you and what a sacrafice it will be for you to leave them but you are compelled to follow God's call. If you can afford to make a retreat then attempt to do so, but weigh the amount of heartache you actions will cause and then decide. If you are over 21, girl you are on your own and I would say run to Him.

Of course the above statements make sense if you have already completed you initial discernment and are reasonable sure you have a vocation. If you are in the beginning stages of discernment then it is probably wise to keep this discernment to yourself and your SD. However openly practice devotion and piety. They will see that something is going on in your soul.

Not knowing your circumstances it is difficult to express advice or even discussion. But these are the thoughts that came to me for what they are worth.
Mr. Ray

cmotherofpirl

Pray first.
Start out by remembering your mom loves you, and you have thrown her a loop. We all dream of our daughters producing granddaughters :) , so give her lots of time to radically change her thinking.

I agree with all the good advice given here. If this was the first inkling your mother had of your interest in religious life, it well may have been a shock to her. I think you mentioned in an earlier post that you are not yet 18 but pretty close. If she nixes you going on the retreat this year, accept it as gracefully as you can; while waiting to turn 18, share your thoughts about exploring religious life when those moments present themselves, and try and go out of your way to be helpful to your mom in general.
God bless!

Try not to make all out war. :) That is a good place to start.

She opposes you doing this, try to find out why. Is it something that she really thinks would be bad for you? Does she want grandchildren? Questions like that lead to real problems that can be addressed and taken care of. Don't leave things as just this idea that is out there. Try to get to something substantial.

ThyWillBeDone

Be patient, my mom was not supportative at first when I decided to enter the seminary. She may come around eventually. I priest once reminded me that God reveals his plan to different people at different times. He used the example of Mary and Joseph. God revealed his plan for them and Jesus to Mary first, and well, Joseph was not to supportative, not until God revealed his plan to him in a dream. When the priest explained that to me a few years ago it really helped me so I thought I would share it. Hope it helps you out. You will be in my prayers.
God Bless

I'm an only child so the first time I told them I was v isit a religious order they got really weird and told me "of course God wouldn't call you because there is only one of you. How else are we going to have grandchildren?"

Yeah that was fun. Then when I told my parents that I was almost certain that God was calling me to religious life and I had in narrowed down to two orders, my dad got excited ( kind of ) and my mom mysteriously got "sick" and stopped talking to me.

I think many parents jsut don't understand and they have made plans for our lives and so when they start to take a direction they didn't excpect they don't handle it as well as they should.

Keep praying, try to keep your parents in the loop and let them be a part of your discernment

MC IMaGiNaZUN

Your mom goes nuts. Well i do not know exactly why, but let me offer you what might be some reasons.

Your mom loves you. She does not want to loose you. And the strangest and most mysterious and unknown place you can go is the convent. If you were single or off getting married, she probably has an idea from experience what that is like. But i imagine being a nun is so foreign to her, that she fears she will loose you entirely.

She wants to know that you can love her the way she loves you. She has sacrificed herself to bear you into the world. And as most moms do they want that love reciprocated in return. Maybe she is unsure if you do love her. Be sure to articulate that to her. She is probably hoping that you know that you can always turn to her in need. Being in a convent makes you so independent from her, probably even more so than getting married or being single.

She may fear that you are not ready to go out there. She wants to have a say, because she wants to make sure everything will be well for you in the decision you make. Entering a convent, like i said is probably so foreign to her, and it is so terribly risky to let you go there, because she doesnt know that you will be safe.

Finally, probably one of the very serious ones, you shouldnt feel responsible for, but your mom may feel rejected. She may feel that she is inferior and not good enough. That you are choosing a life of what seems to be greater holiness. This scares her, maybe because she believes she is not a good enough mom. If you were to get married, heck she knows she could give you pointers in that. But that you would choose something she absolutely cannot help you with , is probably scary to her. She wants your love in return, and to her, and her ignorance of what religious life may actually be like, thinks this is the greatest rejection. Not just that, she could be struggling in her own faith and relationship with God. She may even feel that she is not good enough in God's eyes. She may feel that God doesnt love her. she may be afraid to turn to him in forgiveness, that she will not be accepted.

Some, all, or i wouldnt be suprised none (just because i am so foolish in my assessment of the situation) of these accurately describe your mothers concern.

SHALOM

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='994472' date='Jun 1 2006, 07:43 AM']
Pray first.
Start out by remembering your mom loves you, and you have thrown her a loop. We all dream of our daughters producing granddaughters :) , so give her lots of time to radically change her thinking.
[/quote]

I've been telling my mom for years not to expect grandchildren because instead of getting married I was just going to become the crazy cat lady. I guess she didn't believe me. :disguise:

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think that since I'll be going to college in a year, I'll just wait until then to do this when I can just sneek around behind her back. (Come to think of it, I don't really have a choice since I'm now forbidden contact with the Benedictines.)

Thanks again, you guys are good advice givers.

Anna :)