An Old School Catholic Message Board

Regarding dinosaurs, carbon dating, etc.

ChrisZewe

(sigh)

Chris, the Catholic Church does not interpret the Genesis creation story literally -- though such an interpretation is not forbidden. Some individual Catholics do believe in a literal 6-day creation, but most Catholics do not. You might be interested in [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=52873&hl="]this recently posted topic.[/url]

morostheos

Funny thing about the 6-day creation is this...God didn't create the sun until the 3rd day, so how did morning come and night follow before then? :rolleyes:

two things, if God is God then he could have created them that way and the earth might really be quite young. However, the more likely explanation would be that dinosaurs fell somewhere in the 6 day creation.

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='993988' date='May 31 2006, 08:36 PM']
Alright, this is not intended to start an argument, but I'm sure it will x.x BUT. I have a question that's always bothered me very deeply, and trig class today revived it. Through carbon dating, it's been found that stone tools in Chile, along with a cut tree, are 30032 years old, or something like that almost exactly. This would imply not only that the earth is older than the Bible says, but also that man has been around for a very very long time. But even with the argument that carbon dating can be very off, in theory, I have a question: If the Earth is only a few thousand years old or so, how did the Americas become peopled to such a degree? And also, how in the world do you explain [i]dinosaurs[/i]? I've heard that things like T-rex's were entirely too big and unruly to be taken on Noah's ark, but that doesn't explain the littler ones...and don't say that he just missed them, either, cause all the dinosaur fossils we find are reptiles of the same sort, and let's face it: You're not going to miss that many reptiles and manage to get all the mammals. Especially the smaller mammals, when messing moderately sized dinosaurs. But I'm babbling, so I'll bring this to a close.

Someone please explain this to me.
[/quote]

This is what I think...[quote name='missionseeker' post='994017' date='May 31 2006, 08:54 PM']
No one knows how long a day is when it is measured by God's time. (Even the Bible says that)

So, the way I see it, it could have been millions of years in between the creation of dinosaurs and men. Which gives them enough time to die out before the people got there.
[/quote]

That is very true. NO one knows how long the acctual period of 6 days of creation were.
And since Adam and Eve were created LAST, then maybe God created the dinosaurs etc thousands of years before people...let them roam around and roast marshmellows, then that whole thing with the commets and all the dinosaurs died.
Then God created people.

CARP! I dont know what I am talking about.
Wasnt everything in harmony before sin entered the world? So...there wouldnt have been the metior shower?

But there were dinosaurs...but not when Noah was around...

Did Adam and Eve look like cavemen? Because people always find remains of cavemen around and that is why they think we evolved because they are all hairy and rough looking....

THIS IS MADNESS!
But somehow it checks out...

[quote name='Socrates' post='994095' date='May 31 2006, 10:41 PM']
God is properly referred to as "He," not "He/She." We are Catholics, not New-Agers.
[/quote]

Excuse me. I didn't know that my every post was subject to criticism by you, Socrates. And you saying "We are Catholics, not New-Agers" sounds a little condescending. Who cares whether someone refers to God as "He" or "She?" God is God...don't get hung up on the details.

[size=1][color="330000"]God the father has no Gender.
God the son is a man in his human nature
God the Holy Spirit has no gender either

There really isnt anything there about a woman...
[/color][/size]

[quote] God the father has no Gender.
God the son is a man in his human nature
God the Holy Spirit has no gender either

There really isnt anything there about a woman... [/quote]

acutally, God the Father is male since He is a father.
God the Son is male since He is a son and was incarnate as a male
God the Holy Ghost is a male since He is the spouse of the Blessed Virgin who is a female.

Moreover, the word endings of the Names of each of the three Persons are masculine in Latin.

[quote] And you saying "We are Catholics, not New-Agers" sounds a little condescending. Who cares whether someone refers to God as "He" or "She?" God is God...don't get hung up on the details. [/quote]

Actually I care. And more often than not, the details are very important. It is heretical to call any of the Three Persons in the Godhead a "she".

[quote name='kujo' post='994573' date='Jun 1 2006, 11:20 AM']
Who cares whether someone refers to God as "He" or "She?" God is God...don't get hung up on the details.
[/quote]

God cares.

'God made me to [b]know Him[/b], to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him for ever in heaven.'

Calling God a She, even possibly a She, is not only heresy, but blatantly stupid -_-;

And...why would He let the dinosaurs roam? Why would he even create them? And then wipe them all out? It makes no sense. And don't give me carp about us not being able to understand why He does what He does, because no matter how you look at it, letting dinos rule for aeons is pointless.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='994009' date='May 31 2006, 09:48 PM']
What are these dinosaurs that you speak of? :idontknow:
[/quote]
I'd have thought you might remember them ...

:saint:

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='994732' date='Jun 1 2006, 01:05 PM']
Yeah, sorry that I like to believe in the Word of God.
[/quote]

Implying that those who do not interpret a -clearly- allegorical and expositional narrative literally are....unbelievers?

Laudate_Dominum

And then I saw her face
Now I'm a believer
Not a trace
Of doubt in my mind
I'm in love
I'm a believer I couldn't leave her if I tried.

Saint Augustine, was in fact the first person to propose a theory similar to evolution (cf. De Genesi ad litteram or The Literal Meaning of Genesis). He suggested that the Biblical text should not be interpreted literally if it contradicts what we know from science and our God-given reason.

To bring a more recent perspective, I cannot think of anyone better than:

[quote][b]Pope John Paul II[/b] wrote to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences on the subject of cosmology and how to interpret Genesis:

"Cosmogony and cosmology have always aroused great interest among peoples and religions. The Bible itself speaks to us of the origin of the universe and its make-up, not in order to provide us with a scientific treatise, but in order to state the correct relationships of man with God and with the universe. Sacred Scripture wishes simply to declare that the world was created by God, and in order to teach this truth it expresses itself in the terms of the cosmology in use [b]at the time of the writer[/b]. The Sacred Book likewise wishes to tell men that the world was not created as the seat of the gods, as was taught by other cosmogonies and cosmologies, but was rather created for the service of man and the glory of God. Any other teaching about the origin and make-up of the universe is alien to the intentions of the Bible, which does not wish to teach how heaven was made but how one goes to heaven." (Pope John Paul II, 3 October 1981 to the Pontifical Academy of Science, "Cosmology and Fundamental Physics[/quote]

Edited by MichaelF