An Old School Catholic Message Board

Regarding dinosaurs, carbon dating, etc.

ChrisZewe

Alright, this is not intended to start an argument, but I'm sure it will x.x BUT. I have a question that's always bothered me very deeply, and trig class today revived it. Through carbon dating, it's been found that stone tools in Chile, along with a cut tree, are 30032 years old, or something like that almost exactly. This would imply not only that the earth is older than the Bible says, but also that man has been around for a very very long time. But even with the argument that carbon dating can be very off, in theory, I have a question: If the Earth is only a few thousand years old or so, how did the Americas become peopled to such a degree? And also, how in the world do you explain [i]dinosaurs[/i]? I've heard that things like T-rex's were entirely too big and unruly to be taken on Noah's ark, but that doesn't explain the littler ones...and don't say that he just missed them, either, cause all the dinosaur fossils we find are reptiles of the same sort, and let's face it: You're not going to miss that many reptiles and manage to get all the mammals. Especially the smaller mammals, when messing moderately sized dinosaurs. But I'm babbling, so I'll bring this to a close.

Someone please explain this to me.

missionseeker

We don't take the creation story in the Bible as only literal. Yes we believe that God created the Earth and in the order it says but we leave the 6 days open. No one knows how long a day is when it is measured by God's time. (Even the Bible says that) Also most Catholics don't believe the world is only a few thousand years old. The grand Canyon alone proves this.

So, the way I see it, it could have been millions of years in between the creation of dinosaurs and men. Which gives them enough time to die out before the people got there.

Yeah, about that...a day isn't a relative thing, it's dependent on how long it takes the Earth to spin around once. That isn't going to change suddenly. And the Bible clearly says (I forget where, but it does) something like "our God is not a God of confusion"...so why would He leave us with some nonsensical bit of semantics and suddenly change the length of a day out of nowhere? And whyever would He wipe out dinosaurs with a giant meteor instead of just waving His hand, so to speak?

And you haven't explained the Americas bit -_-;

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Perhaps you should check out these websites:
[url="http://www.icr.org/"]http://www.icr.org/[/url]
[url="http://www.answersingenesis.org/"]http://www.answersingenesis.org/[/url]
[url="http://www.kolbecenter.org/"]http://www.kolbecenter.org/[/url]

Specifically:
[url="http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2001/dinos_on_ark.asp"]http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs2001/dinos_on_ark.asp[/url]

Edited by thedude

Could it be that God created the world in 6 days? Yes.
Could it be that God created the world in whatever His time is? Yes.
Could it be that God is looking down at us from His throne wondering why we are asking "when" when we should be asking "who"? Yes.

In my humble opinion, God could do things anyway He/She choses. If one day is one day, that's fine. If one day is one million years, that's fine too. These conversations naturally evolve into discussions on evolution and stuff, and that's all great. But whether or not dinosaurs and fossils and carbon dating and evolution are factually reliable, we must not ever lose sight of the fact that God is God and we are not.

I think John Paul II said it best:
"In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points....Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than an hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies -- which was neither planned nor sought -- constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory."

missionseeker

Well, for starters, I don't think that world is only 6000 years old so I kind of figured the America thing wasn't an issue...

If you want to quote the Bible doesn't it say in there that a day to us is like a thousand years to God?

For a thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night. PS 90:4

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. 2PE 3:8

Remember creation happened BEFORE Eve and Adam ate the fruit so God had no one there to say "Hey, God hurry it up you're late!" He could take His time. And His time is not nessicarily our time. We don't know how long those 6 first days were by our standards. [i][u]HE[/u][/i] [i]didn't[/i] change the length of a day, we just hadn't gotten there yet to say that from sunrise to sunset was a day.

I want to know, when did they say that it was without a doubt a meteor that killed the dinosaurs.

During the last watch of the night the Lord looked down from the pillar of fire and cloud at the Egyptian army and threw it into confusion

But the Lord your God will deliver them over to you, throwing them into great confusion until they are destroyed.

The Lord will send on you curses, confusion and rebuke in everything you put your hand to, until you are destroyed and come to sudden ruin because of the evil you have done in forsaking him.

The Lord will afflict you with madness, blindness and confusion of mind.

The Lord threw them into confusion before Israel, who defeated them in a great victory at Gibeon. Israel pursued them along the road going up to Beth Horon and cut them down all the way to Azekah and Makkedah.

That is why it was called Babel--because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Interesting find that thing about Chile, it would mean that the men came to America approximately 15000 or 25000 years before what it was thought, when they came from Asia. Also in South America, when the first Americans entered Alaska and cost Hundreds of years that the native ones were coming even there, i do not believe that there were men there 30000 years ago.

missionseeker

[quote name='ChrisZewe' post='994076' date='May 31 2006, 09:30 PM']
...I really think you're missing my point...
[/quote]

which is?...

you're being ambiguous.

[quote name='kujo' post='994057' date='May 31 2006, 08:19 PM']
In my humble opinion, God could do things anyway He/She choses.
[/quote]
God is properly referred to as "He," not "He/She." We are Catholics, not New-Agers.

God exists outside the linear progression of Chronology. Ergo, the Six Days are probably not related in form or function to the 24 hour Solar Day.

The Book of Genesis is Divinely Inspired, but written within the limitations of the author and human language.

Literal Interpretation has never been advocated by the Church.

missionseeker

[quote name='MichaelF' post='994116' date='May 31 2006, 09:55 PM']
God exists outside the linear progression of Chronology. Ergo, the Six Days are probably not related in form or function to the 24 hour Solar Day.

The Book of Genesis is Divinely Inspired, but written within the limitations of the author and human language.

Literal Interpretation has never been advocated by the Church.
[/quote]

Thank you.

and :welcome:

actually, it looks like welcome back.