An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is slavery immoral?

Resurrexi

Slavery: Moral or immoral?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hmn...good quote norseman. I think I'll change my opinion to indentured, contracted, or permanant servents being morally permissable, but outright slaves not. As long as the servent chooses to be a servent, it's fine, right? (not that there's really any difference imo between a servent and a slave except one gets money and the other gets room and board... oh, right, the buying/selling thing too..) What if slaves were not allowed to be bought or sold, and had to agree to become a slave in the first place? Not really much of a slave then.. definatly more of a servant since choice was involved at one point.

Indentured servatude is not immoral.

Slavery based on race or because someone was conquered is always immoral.

The Church has always condemned slavery of people based on race or culture.

- the above is based on Church teachings - I don't have time to find the documents, but Thess has a ton of info on this topic.

The Catholic Church was against slavery when non-Catholic churches were not.

[size=1][color="330000"]I thought the country already solved this problem a long time ago...

Immoral.
[/color][/size]

"I thought the country already solved this problem a long time ago...

Immoral."

I dont think it really matters what the country says. They say abortion is moral, and it obviously is not.

"Is this a trick question?"

no.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Modern economies and jail systems have pretty much made circumstances where types of "slavery" are considered justified a thing of the past.

[quote] aren't children all slaves to their parents?[/quote]

No, parents are slaves to their children.

A just prison system is a just form of slavery or servatude.

A just prison system is a just form of slavery or servatude.

Double post.

With a difference: people in prison are assumed to be guilty, and therefore have forfeited their right to freedom. And indentured servants, etc. make a choice and a commitment. All Christian life is going to involve being a slave, giving up our freedom to choose evil for what is good, but we must make the choice.

When I first saw this thread, I thought, "what kind of a stupid question is this?" I'm surprised that anybody would think that it was moral to enslave another human being without his consent, degrading him to the condition of housepet at best - treated well, but not free to choose how to live his life. This is not human dignity, no matter how good the room and board is.

[quote name='Semalsia' post='994857' date='Jun 1 2006, 11:30 PM']
No, parents are slaves to their children.
[/quote]
It's true. :applause:

[size=1][color="330000"]I guess I dont really know why I think it is immoral, but its just this feeling deep inside that tells me it is wrong.

And I agree with alot of what people have said against it.
[/color][/size]

missionseeker

Although it's funny.

Children who were "wanted/planned" are some insanely amount of times more likely to be abused than those who were not (I'm talking like we had child instead of getting a dog type of parents)

So they are like breeding slaves basically. Because the child is not an expression of love btween two parents -it's more of status stmbol and possesion and they do what they want to the child.

indescribable

i don't think anyone could be a Christian and have a slave. Even if one would take care of the slave nicely, giving food and shelter, it'd be un- Christian to keep him in bondage his entire life.
I don't think a good person would feel well... good if he knew that he placed himself superior to a human being. It isn't logical.

IMO