An Old School Catholic Message Board

islam, mormon, and "other" apologetics

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

I am convinced of Christianity's truth, but am unsure of Catholicisms. I want to look into the apologetics for Islam, Mormonisem, etc in order to see how they can rationalize their religion against criticism, in order to see if Catholocism is similiar. It might seem in apologetics generally speaking that there's always historical uncertainty, or simply lawyering the past to make it say what it didn't or not say what it did etc. Of course, the apologetical truths or lack thereof of the religions will be based on judgement calls, but I would like to form my own, and then decide if the apologetics are the same nature as Catho.

I would like advise from anyone here with experience or general ideas about which religions I should study, and any approaches I should take.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='993573' date='May 31 2006, 11:56 AM']
I am convinced of Christianity's truth, but am unsure of Catholicisms. I want to look into the apologetics for Islam, Mormonisem, etc in order to see how they can rationalize their religion against criticism, in order to see if Catholocism is similiar. It might seem in apologetics generally speaking that there's always historical uncertainty, or simply lawyering the past to make it say what it didn't or not say what it did etc. Of course, the apologetical truths or lack thereof of the religions will be based on judgement calls, but I would like to form my own, and then decide if the apologetics are the same nature as Catho.

I would like advise from anyone here with experience or general ideas about which religions I should study, and any approaches I should take.
[/quote]

You should first of all study Catholicism. It seems that you are unsure of what the Catholic Church teaches, that is why you don't understand that Catholicism (which is part of Christianity BTW) is the truth. You need to eliminate all biases and look at the issue through an objective lens. This enables you to be open to the true. That, and pray to the Holy Spirit to guide you in your study.

I'd say study whatever religion you want. Catholicism is nice, so is Islam. Maybe Buddhism as well?

If you have any questions about Catholicism, I recommend asking them both here and in the Questions and Answers about Catholicism section of the Phorum. If that doesn't suffice, find a good Catholic theologian or two to chat with. Be sure to check with several authorities of each religion before you decide against it. It may always just be the case that the theologian you're talking to does not conform to the beliefs of the church they say they do, or that the theologian is having personal struggles with a certain issue, or that the theologian is not knowledgable on a subject (but wants to appear knowledgable about it).