An Old School Catholic Message Board

What does one wear

SeekingHisPlan

I was wondering about this too! I am off to visit OLAM for a week in July and I wasnt sure what to wear. They said that pants are ok but I thought that I should have a skirt for Sunday at least. Being from the great white north lol I dont think I am prepared for the heat in AL and I think that pants especially black dress pants would be seriously hot! So where the heck does one find modest clothing???? I went on a mall run and everything is tight, low cut, short and so on. It is sooooo frustrating!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

If you are looking for modest clothes, you may need to look in the misses section... they have longer and looser cut clothes. Sometimes it just takes some real searching to find that one gem in the mess of crud that is called 'fashion'

that's funny because when I go to a retreat in Nashville, I will have to be prepared to BUNDLE up!! I'm sooo used to the heat of Texas, even if I make a retreat to Hanceville I'll have to prepare for the cold, or the cool. The main thing is be yourself and make sure its modest, if your not modest, then maybe you should try changing yourself or not going. lol.

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='995498' date='Jun 2 2006, 12:48 PM']
If you are looking for modest clothes, you may need to look in the misses section... they have longer and looser cut clothes. Sometimes it just takes some real searching to find that one gem in the mess of crud that is called 'fashion'
[/quote]

omg, juniors today, it's so disgusting. It's impossible to find anything that covers you, and if you find it, then its skin tight. It's SO annoying, I hate it. Misses will be good for more modest clothing. Dont' they think teens want to dress respectfully sometimes too??

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='uruviel' post='995661' date='Jun 2 2006, 06:19 PM']omg, juniors today, it's so disgusting. It's impossible to find anything that covers you, and if you find it, then its skin tight. It's SO annoying, I hate it. Misses will be good for more modest clothing. Dont' they think teens want to dress respectfully sometimes too?? [/quote]I only like looking for skirts in the juniors section... they can have some very decent and cute skirts as of recent...

SeekingHisPlan

I am over here laughing my head off about all the cautions regarding makeup and modesty! You can't know this about me, of course, but most days I don't wear a spot of makeup. When I do, it's usually just a light lip gloss. No makeup is the rule rather than the exception for me. I just can't be bothered with it, really.

As for modesty, I think I have stricter standards for myself than my Mom sets for my 13 year old sister! I own a grand total of two skirts shorter than calf length, and even those will pass the old "schoolgirl's kilt" test easily. (Kneel on the floor, they should touch it.) A while ago, got rid of three of my formerly favorite pairs of shorts because I felt they were immodest. (Decent, but not modest). My rule for pants that show underwear is that they must be worn with a shirt long enough to cover said underwear. Modesty is one of those things that, at this stage in my faith life and discernment process, it's simply a given. Sunday, I went to Mass covered from collarbone to shoe-tops and shoulders to wrists and I realized that I [i]prefer[/i] to be dressed like that now!

As for what I should have worn for the retreat, the bottom line is to figure out you need to know this in time to ASK! I brought several ankle-length skirts, a few nice three-quarter sleeved tops, one pair of nice pants and sleepwear. When I arrived on Wednesday, all the other retreatants were in jeans and ratty tee shirts and were covered in dirt. They'd been gardening. I'm sort of glad I missed it. ;) For the rest of the week, I was the only layperson who didn't change into pants/jeans after Holy Mass. My pants got filthy because I had to wear them every time I went outside in order to keep from being devoured by bugs. I didn't really mind any of this, but I'll know for next time I visit those sisters. I'd rather have been too dressed up than too dressed down, so I didn't get too excited.

Edited by SeekingHisPlan

brandelynmarie

*Head swiveling from side to side*....Wow, I never thought about this in detail before...No makeup...check! (except lip gloss) No jeans...check! Modest skirts & tops...maybe dress pants...I was wearing jeans & I had on make-up & a v-neck top when I visited one monastery...Whoops! I'm not saying it was a bad thing...but perhaps not the most appropriate thing I've done! :blush: