An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is it moral for a Catholic man to attend a public pool?

Imprimatur

homeschoolmom

You don't want to sit by the Mr. Turtle pool, fine. Cam will come instead. No BBQ for you. <_<

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Norseman82' post='993085' date='May 30 2006, 03:32 PM']
Welcome to our ool. Notice there's no "P" in it. Let's keep it that way.
(Actual sign I saw).
[/quote]

I like, "We don't swim in your toilette, please don't pee in our pool," better.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='993424' date='May 31 2006, 04:52 AM']
You don't want to sit by the Mr. Turtle pool, fine. Cam will come instead. No BBQ for you. <_<
[/quote]

I wanna come. I'll bring some nice juicy steaks!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='993424' date='May 31 2006, 07:52 AM']
[/quote]
Fine. Be that way. You won't get any of my world-famous potato salad, then. Or chocolate chip cookies.

[quote name='Imprimatur' post='992309' date='May 29 2006, 09:05 AM']
Is it moral for a Catholic man to attend a public pool where women are dressed in immodest swim wear? Are there any norms for anything related to this? My teenager conscience is telling me no, but then again Im just a teenager who does not have a fully developed frontal lobe assocation area.

Peace be with you all,

Imprimatur
[/quote]

I'd agree w/ those who say only if it is a near occasion of sin. On the other hand, ideas like this lead one down the road to scruples. I know. I've been there, and I'm still trying to find the exit...

homeschoolmom

You really should ahve seen HSDad carrying the pool home. It wouldn't fit in our car. So he carried it home in the wind. He looked like Mr. Turtle.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='993513' date='May 31 2006, 10:45 AM']
You really should ahve seen HSDad carrying the pool home. It wouldn't fit in our car. So he carried it home in the wind. He looked like Mr. Turtle.
[/quote]
:lol_roll:
How far did he have to carry it?

Semperviva

In the book "Harlots of the Desert", it relays the story of two saints (I forget their names now as they were very eastern and long, lol). One was a women who (before her conversion lol), rode past a group of bishops without any clothes (I think this is Saint Pelagia?). All the bishops looked down. But one bishop who was a also a monk did not look away. He thought to himself how beautiful she was. While all the bishops were walking home after the event he said to them, "My brothers, did you not see how beautiful she was?" The point was he was able to look at her rightly, and through grace had regained the vision of the Garden of Eden. Now, of course we sholdent go looking for those situations, but sometimes "the women on the donkey" rides past. It is of course not inherently wrong to go to the beach, but if one knows ones own weaknesses- be honest with yourself and act accordingly.

Edited by Semperviva

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Sojourner' post='993522' date='May 31 2006, 09:58 AM']
:lol_roll:
How far did he have to carry it?
[/quote]
Umm... about a mile or so. They were on clearance for like $2. So, when we got home, I said, "Oh honey, for that price we should have gotten two." Needless to say, he didn't go back for a second one.

i think that i would go to a pool to swim and i don't really care what anyone else looks like. I don't pay attention to them. I like swimming, not looking at people. :)