An Old School Catholic Message Board

the one and only

rckllnknny

[quote name='Tarcisius' post='992399' date='May 29 2006, 12:20 PM']
why are you so hung up these problems usually posed by middle schoolers. If the Catholic Church was called the Bible Church would you be down with it then?

"okay and if non-catholics are protestant what are they protesting"

The Church, Martin Luther protested the Catholic Church.

ask yourself if your really seeking the truth or just looking to stay comfortable.
[/quote]
He hasn't said that he's not Catholic. At least not yet.

rckllnknny

quote..why are you so hung up these problems usually posed by middle schoolers. If the Catholic Church was called the Bible Church would you be down with it then?
..yeah, probably..

quote..ask yourself if your really seeking the truth or just looking to stay comfortable

GOOD EYE!!

used to be catholic though i dont resent or judge no one.
just trying to open doors of perception..including that of my own.
i just want us ALL to be grounded in the commond bonds of love...

..i dont knnow if that makes any sense..but it does to me. 0o

btw what is sola scriptura??

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992378' date='May 29 2006, 11:15 AM']
lol.

so it never said catholic though huh?
[/quote]
As everyone else said, "Catholic" means simply "universal" - as in One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.
He didn't need to say "Catholic" because it was the only Church that He founded.
There were no other "churches" around.
All the protestant churches started many centuries later - beginning when Martin Luther broke from the Catholic Church in 1517. All other protestant denominations split either from the Catholic Church or from other protestant denominations.

[quote]St. Matt 16:18 "And so I say to you, you are Peter (Kephas), and upon this rock(Kephas) [b]I will build my Church[/b] , and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it." [/quote]
Christ founded only one Church, not a bunch of different churches.

rckllnknny

you know i agreed with everyone else up until this point.
but sorry if it makes you mad.
but youre wrong.
sorry.

you also know socrates. you gonna start alot of wars in the future whether it be here or out in the world saying stuff like that too. show some respect for other christians who love God. WE are the church. dont burn mine down.

well sounds like christianity never grew then. i know when i grow up and im a big boy ill know that say 4 or 5 is more than 1. in any universe!

quote..He didn't need to say "Catholic" because it was the only Church that He founded

that is ridiculous and its hipocracy. youre just saying 'its not in the bible because...'
how bout saying whats IN the bible???

it never said anything about a rosary or nuns or pets not having souls or us not being angels when we die. but i respect what you believe alot more than you think. but dont sit there and say Jesus only founded the Catholic church. because of the word universal.

universal is the same as interdenominational anyway.

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992481' date='May 29 2006, 04:56 PM']
but youre wrong.
sorry.
you also know socrates. you gonna start alot of wars in the future whether it be here or out in the world saying stuff like that too. show some respect for other christians who love God. WE are the church. dont burn mine down.

well sounds like christianity never grew then. i know when i grow up and im a big boy ill know that say 4 or 5 is more than 1. in any universe!

quote..He didn't need to say "Catholic" because it was the only Church that He founded

that is ridiculous and its hipocracy. youre just saying 'its not in the bible because...'
it never said anything about a rosary or nuns or pets not having souls or us not being angels when we die. but i respect what you believe alot more than you think. but dont sit there and say Jesus only founded the Catholic church. because of the word universal.

[/quote]
The truth is one.
Different denominations teach different things.
Christ wanted His Church to be One and follow His truth in all things.

And look up the history of any protestant denomination. They were all founded some time after 1517. ONly the Catholic Church goes all the way back to St. Peter and Jesus Christ.

Norseman82

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992481' date='May 29 2006, 05:56 PM']

[/quote]

OK, try this one:

"There is one Lord, one faith, one baptism" (Ephesians 4:5). ONE faith, not 30,000+. And yes, the various denominations are different FAITHS, because they have denied at least one of the essential truths, so no, universal is not the same as interdenominational.

Either the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ or it isn't.

Either baptism washes away original sin or it doesn't.

Either Jesus is true God and true man or He isn't.

Either Christ delegated authority to forgive/absolve sins or he didn't.

Either divorce from a legitimate marriage and subsequent remarriage (except for Pauline privilege cases) is adultery or it isn't.

I could go on and on.

Who else besides the Catholic Church gets it right on all counts?

And where else do we find the unbroken apostolic succession in bishops?

journeyman

For What It's Worth:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detailed_Christian_timeline#Renaissance_and_Reformation"]Wiki Timeline of Christianity[/url]

Of interest - since it asserts the opposite of Catholic understanding of most time lines
[url="http://www.speroforum.com/wiki/default.aspx/SperoWiki/BaptistChristianComparison.html"]From a Baptist Perspective[/url]

rckllnknny

so what about the year christ was born. Jesuss faith to worship God. the moment of his birth. what about before jesus was born when he was still with God in heaven. before Catholism was ever created before abraham HE WAS. and then he 'accidentally' forgot to mention catholicism?? i think worshiping God is Christianity. The religion. where few are gathered in His name, there he is. We are the church. i not saying Catholicism is wrong. im saying that saying by only Catholicism is wrong. Its obvious and sad thing is you know it. dont lie to yourself and dont be scared im trying to get you to lose your faith. im just saying open your heart to everything. im not trying to convert you. ACTUALLY i pray you stand firmer in your faith your beliefs your religion and in catholicism, but dont condemn me. am i wrong for saying you are wrong..i think so. but am i telling you the truth? I know i am because i believe it in my heart. Thats all.

as any christian i pray that all people all nations all tongues all denominations and all churches come together out of love. For God. that is the most important. its God vision.

Catholic or not. period. forever.

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992467' date='May 29 2006, 05:21 PM']
quote..why are you so hung up these problems usually posed by middle schoolers. If the Catholic Church was called the Bible Church would you be down with it then?
..yeah, probably..
quote..ask yourself if your really seeking the truth or just looking to stay comfortable

GOOD EYE!!
used to be catholic though i dont resent or judge no one.
just trying to open doors of perception..including that of my own.
i just want us ALL to be grounded in the commond bonds of love...

..i dont knnow if that makes any sense..but it does to me. 0o

btw what is sola scriptura??
[/quote]
sola scriptura means bible alone

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992481' date='May 29 2006, 05:56 PM']
but youre wrong.
sorry.

[/quote]

taht's why sola scriptura is wrong.

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992545' date='May 29 2006, 08:15 PM']
so what about the year christ was born. Jesuss faith to worship God. the moment of his birth. what about before jesus was born when he was still with God in heaven. before Catholism was ever created before abraham HE WAS. and then he 'accidentally' forgot to mention catholicism?? i think worshiping God is Christianity. The religion. where few are gathered in His name, there he is. We are the church. i not saying Catholicism is wrong. im saying that saying by only Catholicism is wrong. Its obvious and sad thing is you know it. dont lie to yourself and dont be scared im trying to get you to lose your faith. im just saying open your heart to everything. im not trying to convert you. ACTUALLY i pray you stand firmer in your faith your beliefs your religion and in catholicism, but dont condemn me. am i wrong for saying you are wrong..i think so. but am i telling you the truth? I know i am because i believe it in my heart. Thats all.

as any christian i pray that all people all nations all tongues all denominations and all churches come together out of love. For God. that is the most important. its God vision.

[/quote]
See Catholicism does not teach that IT IS THE ONE TRUE CHURCH. we as Catholics believe it to be THE ONE TRUE CHURCH.

Catholicism does not say that we are the only ones who are right and everybody else is wrong.

The Church does say this... It is the FULLNESS OF TRUTH. as oppose to partial truth that you get from protestant denominations.

check out my signiture

I just read this Of interest - since it asserts the opposite of Catholic understanding of most time lines
From a Baptist Perspective and I about fell our of my seat because it is so silly...well the Catholic compared to the baptist one.

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992275' date='May 29 2006, 08:35 AM']
was "catholicism" ever mentioned in any scripture of the Holy Bible??

and if not...why do you think that was???

:detective:
[/quote]
That title, no. I think it wasn't mentioned because then EVERY denomination would call themselves THE catholic church and we'd have too much confusion. God spared us this confusion by "allowing" non-Catholic churches to explicitly identify themselves as non-Catholic. On a side note, a catholic (universal) church is specifically cited in the Nicean Creed, at a time when there was only one catholic Church. For hundreds of years, the Church did not need to specify "catholic" because there were no other christian churches.

[quote]it never said anything about a rosary or nuns or pets not having souls or us not being angels when we die.[/quote]
The Bible doesn't say very much about Mary. It is through her validated apparitions that we come to know the Rosary, which is merely a set of prayers. What can be wrong with praying certain prayers in a set manner? Don't we do this with other prayers, such as grace before meals?
1 Thessalonians 4:10-12 seems to support the idea of cloistered priests/nuns: "Indeed, you do this for all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Nevertheless we urge you, brothers, to progress even more, and to aspire to live a tranquil life, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your [own] hands, as we instructed you, that you may conduct yourselves properly toward outsiders and not depend on anyone."
Pets having souls is quite a logically rediculous concept, pardon my frankness. I challenge you to find anything in the Bible to support this. In the meantime, the following would refute it: Genesis 1:26-27 "Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea... God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them." Genesis 2:7 "the Lord God formed man out of the clay of the ground and blew into his nostrils the breath of life, and so man became a living being." These references to live really seem to be above and beyond the creation of animals. That "breath of life" is not life as the animals and plants know it, but life as we know it: with a soul.
Just as the Bible says nothing to support the idea of pets having souls (and being there with you in Heaven when you both die), the Bible says nothing to support the idea of us becoming angels: Hebrews 1:13-14 "But to which of the angels has he ever said: 'Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies your footstool'? Are they not all ministering spirits sent to serve, for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" Luke 20:36 "They can no longer die, for they are [u]like[/u] angels; and they are the children of God because they are the ones who will rise."

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992545' date='May 29 2006, 09:15 PM']

[/quote]
Jesus only founded [b]ONE[/b] Church that spread out from Jerusalem. The greek word for church is eklesia, the word for universal is katholicos. Put them together you have catholic church. The Catholic Church was founded when Jesus sent the Holy Spirit down on Pentecost, its the Churchs birthday. But in 33AD on Pentecost, there was no bible as we know it: Mark, Matthew, Luke and John didn't start writing for several years. So the catholic church existed before the new testament did. The writers of scripture didn't have to use the word universal in their letters to each other, there was no other church in existance. As gospels and letters were written they circulated among the churches, and the church as a whole decided which ones it would keep and which ones it would reject. The current so called "lost gospels" you read about in the news [Thomas, Judas] were not lost at all they were rejected by the church as not being inspired by God. The gospels and letter selected BY THE CHURCH, are the ones that are in the bible. So the Catholic Church decided which letters and gospels were inspired by God. So the Catholic Church is far OLDER than the bible and are the ones who put it together.

So we are not wrong in saying we are the church founded by Jesus, that is historical fact. And remember in Timothy is says the church is the pillar and foundation of truth.

A denomination is a group that has broken off the original. So protestants are a denomiation that has left the Catholic Church.
her is the timetable:
If you are a member of the Jewish faith, your religion was founded by Abraham about 4,000 years ago.
If you are a Hindu, your religion was developed in India around 1,500 B.C.

If you are a Buddhist, your religion split from Hinduism, and was founded by Buddha, Prince Siddhartha Gautama of India, about 500 B.C.

[b]If you are Catholic, Jesus Christ began your religion in the year 33. [/b]

If you are Islamic, Mohammed started your religion in what is now Saudi Arabia around 600 A.D.

If you are Eastern Orthodox, your sect separated from Catholicism around the year 1000.

If you are a Lutheran, your religion was founded my Martin Luther, an ex-Monk of the Catholic Church, in 1517.

If you belong to the Church of England (Anglican), your religion was founded by King Henry VIII in the year 1534 because the pope would not grant him a divorce with the right to remarry.

If you are a Presbyterian, your religion was founded when John Knox brought the teachings of John Calvin to Scotland in the year 1560.

If you are a Unitarian, your religious group developed in Europe in the 1500's

If you are a Congregationalist, your religion branched off from Puritanism in the early 1600's in England.

If you are a Baptist, you owe the tenets of your religion to John Smyth, who launched it in Amsterdam in 1607.

If you are a Methodist, your religion was founded by John and Charles Wesley in England in 1744.

If you are an Episcopalian, your religion was brought over from England, to the American colonies and formed a separate religion founded by Samuel Seabury in 1789.

If you are a Mormon (Latter-Day Saints), Joseph Smith started your church in Palmyra, N.Y., NOT Salt Lake City, which would have been my guess. The year was 1830.

If you worship with the Salvation Army (yes, it's a religious group, not just an organization that collects money in kettles on Christmas and serves dinners to the homeless), your sect began with William Booth in London in 1865.

If you are a Christian Scientist, you look to 1879 as the year your religion was founded by Mary Baker Eddy.

If you are a Jehovah's Witness, your religion was founded by Charles Taze Russell in Pennsylvania in the 1870's.

If you are a Pentecostal, your religion was started in the United States in 1901.

If you are an agnostic, you profess an uncertainty or a skepticism about the existence of God or a Higher Being.

If you are an atheist, you do not believe in the existence of God or any other higher power.

[quote name='rckllnknny' post='992275' date='May 29 2006, 08:35 AM']
was "catholicism" ever mentioned in any scripture of the Holy Bible??

and if not...why do you think that was???

:detective:
[/quote]

Bro,
Check this out..

[url="http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0002.html"]http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/...ics/ap0002.html[/url]

And...
[url="http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com"]http://www.ScriptureCatholic.com[/url]
[url="http://www.Catholic.com"]http://www.Catholic.com[/url] (the links on the left of the page... i.e. Sacraments, Church, etc...)

God Bless,
ironmonk