An Old School Catholic Message Board

Laymen confirming sacraments with their blessings

Mateo el Feo

Mateo el Feo

In some "Spirit of Vatican II" parishes I have visited, I noticed a practice that I am unsure about.

During baptisms, the priest would ask the crowd to hold up their hand (aka [i]hiel Hitler[/i]), and bless the newly baptized person. So, my questions:

1) Would the rules regarding laymen publicly giving a blessing be relevant here?
2) What is the history of this practice?
3) Is it explicitly approved or condemned in Church documents?

As an aside, we just recently saw (in Cardinal Mahoney's religious education conference) the laymen "co-consecrating" the host during the Eucharistic prayer. Has anyone seen this practice in the context of other sacraments?

If it's right after the person has been baptised, then I don't see a big problem with it, because the whole Sacrament has already been administered. I've seen it happen in a few parishes, for whatever that's worth. But don't take my word for it; I'm not citing any Church documents or anything like that. I'm not quite sure where to find one.

Also, I haven't witnessed any co-consecration.

Myles Domini

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='991915' date='May 28 2006, 08:54 PM']
In some "Spirit of Vatican II" parishes I have visited, I noticed a practice that I am unsure about.

During baptisms, the priest would ask the crowd to hold up their hand (aka [i]hiel Hitler[/i]), and bless the newly baptized person. So, my questions:

1) Would the rules regarding laymen publicly giving a blessing be relevant here?
2) What is the history of this practice?
3) Is it explicitly approved or condemned in Church documents?

As an aside, we just recently saw (in Cardinal Mahoney's religious education conference) the laymen "co-consecrating" the host during the Eucharistic prayer. Has anyone seen this practice in the context of other sacraments?
[/quote]

:shock:

Myles Domini

[quote name='Akalyte' post='991974' date='May 28 2006, 11:11 PM']
:shock:
[/quote]

Ya kna what I mean...

as in co-consecrating... do you mean how the Church teaches taht the congregation is a vital part of the consecration?
Are there "rules regarding laymen publicly giving a blessing?"
What are they?
I think that if those rules exist, they should be adhered to since non-Catholic family members are typically invited to baptisms (especially if a parent is non-Catholic, as is my dad).

goldenchild17

This stuff happened in a number of the Novus Ordo parishes I attended when I was still in communion. Not the reason I left. But I see why it is wrong now :).

[quote]as in co-consecrating... do you mean how the Church teaches taht the congregation is a vital part of the consecration?
Are there "rules regarding laymen publicly giving a blessing?"
What are they?
I think that if those rules exist, they should be adhered to since non-Catholic family members are typically invited to baptisms (especially if a parent is non-Catholic, as is my dad).[/quote]

The Catholic Church does not teach that the congregation is a vital part of the Consecration.

[quote name='jezic' post='993874' date='May 31 2006, 07:10 PM']
The Catholic Church does not teach that the congregation is a vital part of the Consecration.
[/quote]
I read somewhere that those attending Mass are vital, since they should be praying about it during the consecration. I could be slightly off in wording somewhere.

I don't get it. So the group put out their hands to pray a prayer over the Baby after it was baptized.... Well if it's after and not during, whats the big deal?

toledo_jesus

[quote name='musturde' post='993905' date='May 31 2006, 07:57 PM']
I don't get it. So the group put out their hands to pray a prayer over the Baby after it was baptized.... Well if it's after and not during, whats the big deal?
[/quote]
the problem is that it is meant to convey the sort of blessing that the priest is allowed to impart. It is as pointless a gesture as holding hands during the Lord's prayer, because a layman trying to bless something is like a cowboy shooting blanks.

Mateo el Feo

Quoting from the Catholic Encyclopedia ([url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02599b.htm"]link[/url]):
[quote]Since, then, blessings, in the sense in which they are being considered, are entirely of ecclesiastical institution, the Church has the power to determine who shall have the right and duty to confer them. This she has done by entrusting their administration to those who are in sacerdotal orders.[/quote]
A man receives the power to confer a blessing at his ordination to the diaconate.

It seems to me that communal blessings are another small attempt to blur the distinction between ordained priests and laity.