An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just wondering

MichaelFilo

MichaelFilo

First of all, I refuse to put this into poll format, because unintellegent responses ought to be shown for what they are. I have some belief on the question, and the answer, but will not post it, because well, that would mean I'm setting you up.

If a person is well versed in Catholicism, knows the faith, has had a religious experience (not neccessarily authentic, but more than likely), and then upon his studying comes to believe (or let us say convinced) that Catholicism is false, does he go to hell if he should die before he returns to Catholicism? I do not mean Catholicism vs protestantism though, I mean a leaving of the Christian faith.

I'd like to know. All answers that begin with "God judges, not people" maybe omitted because we know the Church tells us there are damnable actions, and also there are things which can make those actions not as severe.

I and, I believe, most of the saints would say that he would most likely go to Hell. There are some "almost nobody goes to hell" Catholic theologians who will argue otherwise but by and large I think the greats agreed upon the fact that if you seperate yourself from the Chruch and do not return before death you are going to hell.