An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you pray the Luminous Mysteries?

Resurrexi

Do you Pray the Luminous Mysteries?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

goldenchild17

I don't think anyone who claims to be a faithful Catholic(whether they do or don't pray these mysteries) would make such a claim. It isn't in the realm of faith and morals for either group so I don't know that anyone would make that claim.

Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='993633' date='May 31 2006, 01:34 PM']
I don't think anyone who claims to be a faithful Catholic(whether they do or don't pray these mysteries) would make such a claim. It isn't in the realm of faith and morals for either group so I don't know that anyone would make that claim.
[/quote]

I agree. No one is saying that they are necessary for salvation, and, in fact, the entire heart of my previous post was centered on exactly the point that they are [i]optional[/i]. Because they are an option for the faithful, the luminous mysteries constitute a wonderful example of the organic development of devotional practices within the Church. A dichotomy of damnation is exactly the [i]wrong[/i] depiction of the situation we find when we observe the luminous mysteries.

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff

photosynthesis

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' post='991908' date='May 28 2006, 03:39 PM']
Pope John Paul instituted the new mysterious to reinvigorate the devotion in the church.
[/quote]
And I'm one of those people that started praying the Rosary again because of this new development.

[quote name='MC IMaGiNaZUN' post='991908' date='May 28 2006, 03:39 PM']
Pope John Paul instituted the new mysterious to reinvigorate the devotion in the church.
[/quote]
And I'm one of those people that started praying the Rosary again because of this new development.

Guest T-Bone

I don't pray them. I like them and all, but they're not on my rosary CDs, so I kinda forget about them.

I love them! They fill me with so much joy, to meditate on them!

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to pray them. The Rosary is in its very nature a personal, meditative, charismatic sort of prayer, and the point of it is your own private meditation - it seems like a natural form of prayer to add new meditations to, since the point of it is to always be coming to new understandings of the mysteries meditated on, and it's certainly not a form to be restricted, as if there were only 15 mysteries of our faith to meditate on.

I think that the Luminous mysteries are a cause of great joy, and a sign that the Church is fluorishing! I can't even begin to express how beautiful they are.

brandelynmarie

I remember that before I converted I asked a friend of mine if The Flight into Egypt was a Joyous Mystery! (I shoulda thought it was a Sorrowful one!) :lol_roll:

Ummmm, did we ever find Theo? :idontknow:

thessalonian

[quote name='brendan1104' post='991505' date='May 27 2006, 01:39 PM']
Total break with Tradition- Our Lady gave St Dominic Her Psalter- 150, not 200... it's 15 decades. Period. Not 20. And by the way, for all you 'JP2 we love you people it's [u]optional[/u] :D:
[/quote]

The rosary is not T Tradition. Sorry.

[quote]I must just be superstitious but I never warmed up to the fact that Mary asked us to pray at least 1/3 of the rosary every day, and 1/3 of 20(mysteries) is 6.66. Anyways...[/quote]

I hope your not serious with this arguement in any way shape or form. It is protestantesque and bad math. Why would it be 1/3 of 20? We say 1/4 of 20.

I can't understand why some people hate the Luminous Mysteries so much. IMO, those who complain that Pope John Paul II shouldn't have added them have too much time on their hands and are probably just looking for something to complain about.

To deny that they are mysteries is sad. To deny that they are lumenious is either stupidity, ignorance, or malice.

I would say more, but there is a distinct lack of O2 down here.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Franimus' post='993286' date='May 30 2006, 10:30 PM']
finally one of the rosary mysteries is hte Eucharist!

FYI some of the other rosary mysteries have been changed in the past.. do y'all who're repulsed by the luminous (means light-giving) mysteries also pray the old mysteries (forget which set... glorious I think) that don't include the crowning of Mary?
[/quote]

Um.... the Corwining of Mary IS one of the Glorious Mysteries, the Fifth Mystery is the Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth. Coronation = crowning. I have NEVER heard or seen it any different, I even looked it up on half a dozen different websites.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1003862' date='Jun 12 2006, 01:33 PM']
This is probably the dumbest "debate" in the [i]Debate Table[/i].
[/quote]

Agreed. Its also Catholic vs. Catholic Debate (maybe not exactly doctrinal, but utterly ridiculous and unfounded), and per the guidelines not allowed. Thread closed.