An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you pray the Luminous Mysteries?

Resurrexi

Do you Pray the Luminous Mysteries?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

indescribable

all of my little rosary booklets don't include the newer luminous mysteries. any suggestions for a little prayer book that includes them?

goldenchild17

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='992222' date='May 28 2006, 10:51 PM']
You can find parallels in just about anything if you try hard enough, but is that really a reason not to meditate of the life of Jesus using the Luminous Mysteries?
[/quote]

Not particularly. I don't necessarily see anything wrong with the mysteries themselves(although the naming "Luminous" is a bit creepy to me). But as you probably know by now I don't accept anything Post Vatican II as coming from the true Church. While I don't see them as a definite evil, I just don't follow what comes from beyond Vatican II thus far. And I do like what I see as a helpful reminder of the Trinity. Whether it's forced upon it or not is not a concern to me. It reminds me of the Trinity, of God, and an addition to that just ruins it for me. Not that I think it would be bad to meditate on these parts of Christ's life, just I don't do it as a part of the rosary.

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='992263' date='May 29 2006, 05:52 AM']
For those who argue that the Luminous mysteries are "repulsive" or mark a clear and definite break with Tradition, I have a serious question. Pope John Paul II offered them as being [i]optional[/i]. We can pray them if we want, but he did not force them on us. Moreover, this should be clear from the very existence of this post. Being able to ask the question means that it is a matter of personal choice.

So here is my question. If the Luminous mysteries constitute an inorganic development, then what could possibly be an [i]organic[/i] development? It seems to me that this is the [i]most[/i] organic case possible: Pope or bishop suggests something, makes it optional, sees if people start doing it. If the people do it, it sticks, if they don't, it doesn't.

It seems to me that slapping the label of "inorganic development" on anything that an extreme traditionalist doesn't like has become a common tactic, but one that is both hollow and totally without content. I'm open to talking about legitimate, organic development, but it seems like the extreme traditionalists just label anything they don't like as being "inorganic" and leave it at that. If a change comes from the people without the backing of the magisterium, it's inorganic, if a change comes from the magisterium and tries to get backing from the people, its inorganic, if the people and magisterium agree and change something, its both a revolution in the Church and inorganic.

The fact of the matter is, for extreme traditionalists, "organic development" means nothing more than "change that happened in the past" and, as such, there simply can't be any change that is acceptable to them. If a set of mysteries to meditate on, offered by the Pope as something the laity can do if they want, does not constitute the first step of an organically developed change, then I simply don't know what could possibly constitute an organic development

Your Brother In Christ,

Jeff
[/quote]
I totally see what you're saying. Sometimes for some things I just see it as unnecessary. The question for me is not can they do this, but why would they do it? What's the point? Yes it is a matter of preference, I used to pray them for the first couple of weeks that they existed, then I decided not to. This was before I became traditionalist. I realize they are optional and just didn't feel they were a good thing at the time. As for organic development, I totally understand that things can and should develop and become better. I think, when things get back to normal in the Church(which I believe they will), that it would be good to do a few inconsequential things with the Tridentine Mass such as with the organization of the readings and whatnot. I'm not against development. I just don't currently see the Vatican as representing the Church so I don't see any reason to follow their lead in things.

Um, to be replused by the light of Christ's Baptism, of the Wedding of Cana, Christ's Baptism, the proclaimation of the Kingdom, the

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Theoketos' post='992747' date='May 30 2006, 07:02 AM']
Um, to be replused by the light of Christ's Baptism, of the Wedding of Cana, Christ's Baptism, the proclaimation of the Kingdom, the
[/quote]
:scream: Something grabbed and ate Theo in mid-sentence!!!

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='992749' date='May 30 2006, 07:07 AM']
:scream: Something grabbed and ate Theo in mid-sentence!!!
[/quote]

*BUURRRRP*

Sorry about that!

I was really hungry and I was out of Cheerioats :doh:

[quote name='Sojourner' post='992773' date='May 30 2006, 08:19 AM']
:sadder:

I liked Theo

:weep:
[/quote]

I can see why

He was very tasty

[quote name='hot stuff' post='992788' date='May 30 2006, 10:27 AM']
I can see why
He was very tasty
[/quote]
:pinch:

ewwwwwwwww

finally one of the rosary mysteries is hte Eucharist!

FYI some of the other rosary mysteries have been changed in the past.. do y'all who're repulsed by the luminous (means light-giving) mysteries also pray the old mysteries (forget which set... glorious I think) that don't include the crowning of Mary?

dairygirl4u2c

accepting of newness as given by JPII:
IF YOU DON"T PRAY THE LUMINOUS MYSTERIES, YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY.

or

rejection of breaking with tradition:
IF YOU PRAY THE LUMINOUS MYSTERIES, YOU WILL BURN IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY.

you decide.

(actually, i am aware that this is not the case, i simply post things such as this for [mod]profanity[/mod] and giggles)

Edited by Lil Red