An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do you pray the Luminous Mysteries?

Resurrexi

Do you Pray the Luminous Mysteries?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

Took a few weeks to get used to them, but I love them. Its another part of Christ's life to meditate on.
Thank you, JPII :)

brendan1104

Total break with Tradition- Our Lady gave St Dominic Her Psalter- 150, not 200... it's 15 decades. Period. Not 20. And by the way, for all you 'JP2 we love you people it's [u]optional[/u] :D:

I have to say I think the 15 decade rosary should still hold a special place among rosary devotions to keep its ties with the 150 psalms. The luminous mysteries should be in their own special category, if you will, to keep the 150 aves grouped into their own special category.

there's really no reason to be angry at the luminous mysteries though, or to shout that they are a "total break with tradition". Our Lady is not upset at a pope calling upon people to use her rosary to meditate on the baptism of her Son, the wedding at Cana, the public ministry of her Son, the transfiguration of her Son, or the Eucharist. Even if we believe that the rosary came from a direct vision of Our Lady to St. Dominic in its full form she didn't say "don't add to this".

The only reason this developement in the life of the rosary is unprecedented is because it came from the Magisterium, not the laity. The laity formed the rosary as a crown of roses for their mother throughout the centuries (and a vision to St. Dominic I personally believe had a great significance in its creation as well). This was the magisterium, who really had no big hand in it except for approving of things, adding a final little flower to it. Kind of fitting that there should be something in there from the magisterium, the magisterium loves its mother too ;)

Not normally, but I am not opposed to them. I have always had a devotion to the "traditional" rosary, so I ususally stick to it. That however does not mean that I don't pray them when they are prayed publicly.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='brendan1104' post='991505' date='May 27 2006, 02:39 PM']
Total break with Tradition- Our Lady gave St Dominic Her Psalter- 150, not 200... it's 15 decades. Period. Not 20. And by the way, for all you 'JP2 we love you people it's [u]optional[/u] :D:
[/quote]

that is the pious version, praying on beads started long before St Dominic and no direct evidence connects the rosary with the saint.
[url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13184b.htm"]http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13184b.htm[/url]

MichaelFilo

Fortunatly, the Tradition is based around the 150 Pslams. So.. 15 Decades. I think that was the point at any rate.

I pray them publicly (such as on Saturdays when I go to pray outside of the abortion clinic) but on my own, I am repulsed by the addition to the holy tradition, so instead, I keep to the 15. I do not condemn them, I just do not use them during my personal prayer.

God bless,
Mikey

[quote name='brendan1104' post='991505' date='May 27 2006, 12:39 PM']
[/quote]

Yes, the luminous are optional, so is the testimony of st. dominic and the rosary itself is optional. Careful placing private revelation on too high a pedistal, even above a pope!

The Luminous Mysteries are like the Filioque. Not part of the original, but still a venerable new addition; although that's not entirely correct, because there is no "original" set of mysteries, because Our Lady did not establish the tradition of reciting 15 specific mysteries. That came centuries later. The Luminous mysteries are my personal favorites. I've found them very ripe for meditation for some reason. Maybe because they're appropriately general. "Christ's call to conversion", for example, can mean many things.

meditating on the Life of Christ, the rosary with the Luminous mysteries, is just even more beautiful to pray. Our Late Holy Father was awesome to give me something more to meditate on.

[quote name='Era Might' post='991547' date='May 27 2006, 05:27 PM']
The Luminous Mysteries are like the Filioque. Not part of the original, but still a venerable new addition; although that's not entirely correct, because there is no "original" set of mysteries, because Our Lady did not establish the tradition of reciting 15 specific mysteries. That came centuries later. The Luminous mysteries are my personal favorites. I've found them very ripe for meditation for some reason. Maybe because they're appropriately general. "Christ's call to conversion", for example, can mean many things.
[/quote]

I was reading this thread and was formulating my reply when I read Era's. You took the words right off my keyboard!

I really have affection for them, too. Meditating on those new mysteries have really helped me a lot. More so then them old ones even. Perhaps it is because I had never really meditated on the public life of Jesus so much as when the Luminous mysteries were added. They have greatly enhanced my spiritual life.

As to Michaelfilo who says that he is repulsed by them, I find it beyond belief. How can you be repulsed my meditating on the life of Jesus? Did it not occur to you that perhaps these mysteries were given to the Holy Father, who I think tradition still holds is the leader of the Catholic church on Earth, for a reason? And this you find repulsive. I hope that you just chose the wrong word.

I honestly haven't "gotten around" to praying the Luminous Mysteries, and have generally stuck to praying the "old" mysteries, but I have absolutely nothing against them on principle. To tell the truth, though, I do not pray the rosary anywhere near as often as I should. (And for all you "JPII-bashers," they are optional.)

I honestly do not understand all the "rad-trad" furor over the Luminous Mysteries, treating them as though they are some kind of modernist new-age abomination.

[quote]but on my own, I am repulsed by the addition to the holy tradition, so instead, I keep to the 15.[/quote]
Quite frankly, I am repulsed by this attitude.

The Luminous Mysteries are:
1) The Baptism of the Lord
2) The Wedding at Cana
3) The Proclamation of the Kingdom
4) The Transfiguration
5) The Institution of the Eucharist

These are all events in the Life of Our Lord recorded in the Gospels. What, pray tell, is "repulsive" about meditating on these holy events?

(And it is not as though the original fifteen mysteries have been destroyed or altered.)

Many things have been added to holy tradition through the centuries since the Institution of the Church. Do you really think every single prayer and devotion of the Church already existed at the time of St. Peter? Would you have been "repulsed" by the praying of the rosary itself when it was first added to holy tradition?

Such an attitude crosses the line from being traditional to being mindlessly reactionary. (It calls to mind the fundamentalist protestant "revulsion" over "unbiblical" Catholic practices and devotions.)

MichaelFilo

I meant I am repulsed because the additions was inorganic. No one sat around a table and decided to add the mysteries of the rosary. It was given to St. Dominic. And if you should choose to not believe that Mary had the final say so in the mysteries of an ancient prayer tradition (that is the rosary before Mary revealed Her will for them to be to respective part sof the New Testament), then one must admit that the tradition organically grew to what it is today, it was not the result of papal decisions. So, I say repulsed because it was neither of Heavenly origin nor of organic growth, it is an abrupt addition, and like all additions made on the spot, it's something to be careful of.

I would wonder if we could make 5 more mysteries for the 5 big miracles done by Christ... or maybe 5 on five occasions of Christ showing exemplary virtue... etc. I'm not sure if you realize the trend, but while these may lead to wonderful moments of prayer, they certainly are not the original 15 which are centered around the highlights of Christ's life. They reflect on the Church calander, the Incarnation and Birth (Christmas), the Paschal Sacrafice (Holy week), and the Ressurection (Easter to Pentecost). The Luminous mysteries hold no real position on the calander. The 15 decades reflect on the 150 psalms.. it's all so fitting, adding or removing throws it off. So I ought to be repulsed by that which throws off the beauty that is found in the perfect nature of the rosary on reflecting the life of Christ.

God bless,
Mikey