An Old School Catholic Message Board

Da vinci Code

Josie07

So i was wondering what everyone things of this new contraversy. It's really that bad, or just another fad?

Another fad, kinda like the movie Dogma (which I still think is pretty funny if you don't take it seriously). Of course, we do need to watch out for people who actually do take these types of things seriously. As good Catholics, we must learn enough to undoubtably refute any of the major silly propositions this book makes. Personally, I'd leave the meticulous/minor details to those more interested in theology, but IMHO we as Catholics should be able to give a brief overview of why this book is not at all factual, even if it could have some entertainment value (I have not read the book, but I would watch the movie if I saw it on TV or something, which is how I've seen Dogma at least 5 times). When we hear of somebody founding an actual religion based on this book, some major evangelization efforts need to occur.

I read the book as well as watched the movie yesterday and I think that a great undeserved aura was created around this book/movie. I felt obliged to read it and watch it since I am in constant contact with youths and they come up with loads of questions and doubts. There were times during the movie where I was literally amused by the ridiculous notions. I think the movie is more aimed at miscrediting Opus Dei than Christ himself.

I noticed some time ago that a phatmasser has an avatar of Opus Dei but I don't remember who the poster is. Can someone really give me some good source of research where I can find some true reliable information about Opus Dei? There are no representatives in my country and to be honest I don't know much about it.

What really annoyed me in the DVC was that it reduces Jesus' divinity while elevates Mary Magdalene to a goddess.

[quote name='Franimus' post='990835' date='May 26 2006, 07:34 AM']
Another fad, kinda like the movie Dogma (which I still think is pretty funny if you don't take it seriously). Of course, we do need to watch out for people who actually do take these types of things seriously. As good Catholics, we must learn enough to undoubtably refute any of the major silly propositions this book makes. Personally, I'd leave the meticulous/minor details to those more interested in theology, but IMHO we as Catholics should be able to give a brief overview of why this book is not at all factual, even if it could have some entertainment value (I have not read the book, but I would watch the movie if I saw it on TV or something, which is how I've seen Dogma at least 5 times). When we hear of somebody founding an actual religion based on this book, some major evangelization efforts need to occur.
[/quote]
So do you believe that it will become a religon? Do you think there should be a disclaimer in the movie saying that it;s not true. Reason i ask is because my Grandparents are heavy set on boycotting something they haven't seen. I think it's something that should be checked out before critizing it.

[quote name='dandy777' post='990846' date='May 26 2006, 07:47 AM']
I read the book as well as watched the movie yesterday and I think that a great undeserved aura was created around this book/movie. I felt obliged to read it and watch it since I am in constant contact with youths and they come up with loads of questions and doubts. There were times during the movie where I was literally amused by the ridiculous notions. I think the movie is more aimed at miscrediting Opus Dei than Christ himself.

I noticed some time ago that a phatmasser has an avatar of Opus Dei but I don't remember who the poster is. Can someone really give me some good source of research where I can find some true reliable information about Opus Dei? There are no representatives in my country and to be honest I don't know much about it.

What really annoyed me in the DVC was that it reduces Jesus' divinity while elevates Mary Magdalene to a goddess.
[/quote]
So does that mean you are not toallty against the movie, but a minor disapointed?

Edited by Josie07

I never mentioned the word disappointed.... I said I was annoyed. I am against the ideas that the book and movie promote yet I feel obliged to see it and keep up to date with it and its theories. It didn't change anything in my faith in God. On the contrary, it helped me to appreciate my faith and the Church even more. However, I just want to know a bit more about Opus Dei. That's all.