An Old School Catholic Message Board

pick a sin, any sin

dairygirl4u2c

pick a sin, any sin  

120 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IrishSalesian

This is a pointless thread, He is all knowing, and we end up confessing our sins anyway, so there is no chance to get away with anything. POINTLESS!

dairygirl4u2c

it is wise, and admirable to not speculate. but, alternatively, depending on how you look at how the question is framed, there's good alternatives. i noticed this notable response from someone in that vein..

[quote]Those of us entertaining the question are certainly not wasting our time. Did you read my last post? IMO, you who are bothering to bash dairy for making this post are wasting YOUR time. This poll really did put me in check, making me realize, wow, I do still need a lot of work. I will say this: I admire those of you who honestly cannot answer this poll because you love God so deeply. I admit I did not think deeply at all about those (specifically Fulton Sheen Warrior) who said, prior to my previous post,
That's like asking what's my favourite way to hurt someone I love.
However, I admonish (pfft.. as if I have any room to admonish any of y'all.. I just mean to express my brotherly displeasure in) those who refuse to speculate because they're too afraid.
And please, don't bash the poll. Again, I wish I could've been one of you who are honestly answering that you hate sin with all your heart. For some of us, the body still controls a portion of the spirit. Granted, I do hate sin because I know I should, and I know that sin is repugnant to God, and I do hate sin such that, in I'm happy to say many instances (well, those where I recognize the possibility of it), I can consciously reject it, but I do not hate sin such that there is no inner part of me that still wants to sin. I hope I do not come across as mean, but I really want some of you to understand what I am saying.
Oh, and uruviel - I think it was clarified earlier that the poll question is more along the lines of "which do you wish was not a sin" or even "which do you wish was a good thing".. If not, hopefully it is clearer now.[/quote]

[quote name='Fulton Sheen Warrior' post='991040' date='May 26 2006, 01:30 PM']+JMJ+

I can see what you are saying, and in [i]your[/i] philosophy (which I like), this poll isn't totally a waste.

BUT, what bothers me is the manner in which the question is being asked. It almost makes light of sin.

Again, I see what you mean about taking a good hard look at our selves. This is an examination of conscience.

Yet, Why couldn't the question be something like,

"If you could overcome one of the seven deadly sins which one would you choose?"[/quote]

Amen!

^^ this is true, but this poll is also kind of like a way of seeing which sin we most struggle with. maybe we can come up with ways of dealing. :idontknow:

LouisvilleFan

This has probably been one of my favorite threads ever on PhatMass... a question like this reveals exactly where everybody stands :)

In reply to iggy, this kind of Pride isn't the healthy sense of being proud of oneself and having strong self esteem. The deadly sin kind of Pride is the sin which caused Satan to be cast out of Heaven and it is essentially the root of all other sins. Pride is asserting yourself into God's position or rejecting His authority or commandments. So, if anything, it should probably be the last one you'd want to pick :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Fulton Sheen Warrior' post='991040' date='May 26 2006, 02:30 PM']BUT, what bothers me is the manner in which the question is being asked. It almost makes light of sin.

Again, I see what you mean about taking a good hard look at our selves. This is an examination of conscience.

Yet, Why couldn't the question be something like,

"If you could overcome one of the seven deadly sins which one would you choose?"[/quote]

If the question were phrased nicely like that, nobody would've answered it. The way it's worded appeals to our sinful nature and you could read it as making light of sin. I think that depends on how you read it though. If anything, it's making light of God, but also remember that it's a purely hypothetical situation. Since it's hypothetical, it's easier to be truly honest. Your question presents a scenario that is possible, and in that case, in my selfishness I might choose anything except Lust just because there's a certain level of fear in living without something that you've lived with for so long.

gurlie4godsd

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='989785' date='May 24 2006, 03:27 PM']this poll is really freaking gay.[/quote]

Please don't use gay as a synonym for stupid...thanks

Did anyone mention the legend of a monk who trapped by the devil was forced to chose as his own one of the seven deadly sins?

He chose gluttony thinking it was the less worse of them all.

Then when drunk out of his wits, he committed the six others.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='gurlie4godsd' post='1304714' date='Jun 28 2007, 06:15 PM']Please don't use gay as a synonym for stupid...thanks[/quote]

Agreed, I would add using gay as a synonym for homosexuality is stupid

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Didacus' post='1304748' date='Jun 28 2007, 07:27 PM']Did anyone mention the legend of a monk who trapped by the devil was forced to chose as his own one of the seven deadly sins?

He chose gluttony thinking it was the less worse of them all.

Then when drunk out of his wits, he committed the six others.[/quote]

So very true...

Aw...such a hard question. I mean, I'm guilty of them all!

It's a long, slow, hard road uphill, and well worth it. Pray for poor sinners, because sometimes we respond.

Somehow I think I may be getting away with the deadly sin of pride -- thank God for confession!

dairygirl4u2c

**Agreed, I would add using gay as a synonym for homosexuality is stupid**
you shouldn't use stupid to say bad !! you are mocking those hwo are mentally challenged. using stupid to mean bad is deaf.

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1304905' date='Jun 28 2007, 11:16 PM']**Agreed, I would add using gay as a synonym for homosexuality is stupid**
you shouldn't use stupid to say bad !! you are mocking those hwo are mentally challenged. using stupid to mean bad is deaf.[/quote]

Mentally challenged indicates a physical or biological hinderance to learning.

Ignorant is a state of unknowing.

Stupid is an intentional act of the will to insure the subject remains ignorant.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Dismas' post='1304925' date='Jun 29 2007, 12:34 AM']Mentally challenged indicates a physical or biological hinderance to learning.

Ignorant is a state of unknowing.

Stupid is an intentional act of the will to insure the subject remains ignorant.[/quote]

So, is the proper way to insult someone is by calling them "mentally challenged"?

Just want to make sure my ignorance is enlightened, since otherwise I would be just plain stupid.

Edited by LouisvilleFan