An Old School Catholic Message Board

If there were no Catholic church in your area

Resurrexi

Greek Orthodox church or Sedevacantist chapel?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='991266' date='May 26 2006, 07:07 PM']
I'm just wondering, why were you in the Arctic circle?
[/quote]
To visit Santa, of course.

[quote name='Veni Sancte Spiritus' post='990994' date='May 26 2006, 11:13 AM']
Dave, you are very correct. No Orthodox Christian Church, Greek or otherwise would allow a Catholic to partake. In fact, when an Orthodox Christian is travelling and must attend Divine Litugy (in a parish where the priest does not know them personally) they must call ahead to notify the priest so he can verify that they are Orthodox in good standing prior to giving them the body and blood of Christ. They take this very seriously and for good reason. I am not sure why the Catholic Church takes no such precautions and I wish it were the rule in all Catholic parishes.
[/quote]

This would be impossible. A Priest can't know all his parishioners, let alone everyone who's visiting. Orthodox Churches tend to be smaller, as there are a lot less Orthodox Christian in this country. Our Priests can barely find time to do everything they do now. They can't start calling around to see if so-and-so is good people. That is where trust comes in, or otherwise, leaving it to God to judge each person's conscience.

And what does "in good standing" mean? In the day-to-day humdrum of the Catholic Church, "in good standing" means you are in a state of grace and disposed to receive communion. Nobody can determine this but you. A Priest could call and find out if someone was baptized and isn't excommunicated, but with the millions of people who make up the Catholic Church, that is impossible.

missionseeker

[quote name='missionseeker' post='991102' date='May 26 2006, 02:06 PM']
In my deanery there are 10,000 non-Catholics for every Catholic.

There are 10 counties 6 churches and 2 missions.
[/quote]

I lookede at the stats today and I got it wrong. It's 400,000 non-Catholics and 4,000 Catholics.

That is so hard to imagine! I think I would have to drive the 3 hours! Just curious.... where are there no Catholic Churches for 3 hours? Also, if you live in a rural area you might want to see if there is a priest that comes into town to celebrate mass (at least once a month). Here in VA priests travel to very remote places to celebrate mass with migrant workers. Just a thought!

Peace!

Amber

homeschoolmom

I cannot imagine any place on the planet where both a sedevacanist chapel and and Orthodox church are both closer than a Catholic parish... Not even the Arctic Circle...

homeschoolmom

Oh, well, in that case... if it were Sunday morning, I would blink my eyes and POOF! be at my home parish. I really like coffee and donuts there.

Semperviva

[quote name='Veni Sancte Spiritus' post='990994' date='May 26 2006, 09:13 AM']
Dave, you are very correct. No Orthodox Christian Church, Greek or otherwise would allow a Catholic to partake.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if you are correct on that point. I was in Greece for a month in remote areas where it literally was impossible to attend Catholic Mass. Before-hand a friend of mine who had formerlly been Orthodox, talked with the Grrek Orthodox Archmandryte of New York City, who said that if I was to be in Greece for such a long time, it was acceptable for me, a Roman Catholic, to recieve in Orthodox Liturgy. Now, the Greek Orthodox preists themselves, if they found out I was Catholic would not have allowed it, but the point was that the higher authorites had sanctioned it.

Edited by Semperviva

Proud2BCatholic139

I would not go to either of them. Well, I guess it depends on the situation. See, if I was 8 years old, I wouldn't know the difference. But, growing up as a Roman Catholic, recieving the sacraments, and being confirmed in the Roman Catholic church, I will not fall away. My sister at my church gave a great example on the alphabit and the Roman Catholic Church. The Roman Catholic church has 26 of the letters. Some other Catholic churches has most of the letters, but took p or r out. This analogy was used to show the differences in what they beleive versus a Roman Catholic. It was interesting.

So, I will not attend the Mass at the other churches and I will do my best to travel to Siberia to find a traditional Roman Catholic Mass.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

depends on what kind of Sede. Some people accuse the SSPV of being Sede, but they are not. i might go there.

goldenchild17

Interesting thought Sam. They're not Sede? Do you have a statement from them saying that they accept the current pope as Pope? There are different groups of sedes, they may not be strictly sede but one of the other philosophies. But if they reject the current pope they are still sede. I'm interested in what you know. THanky.

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

They have no "offical" statment about sedevecantism. Many of the priests conclude that they "do not know" whether Benedict XVI is the pope or is not the pope, and from what i understand sedevecantism is not discussed there.

Sam

[quote name='StThomasMore' post='991266' date='May 26 2006, 09:07 PM']
I'm just wondering, why were you in the Arctic circle?
[/quote]

Would you believe that I really was going to visit Santa? Didn't think so. Actually, I had a friend who lived up there and so I went when I had enough time to travel there. For some reason it had not occurred to me that there would not be a church or a priest up there. :ohno: